collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 174 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12991
  • stats Total Posts: 130641
  • stats Total Topics: 18282
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: We All Need Goose Sense!  (Read 318 times)

Offline Suave

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 19
We All Need Goose Sense!
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »
Have you ever wondered why geese fly in a V-formation? Here is why.

As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in a V formation, the whole flock adds at least 71 percent greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going more quickly and easily because they are travelling on the thrust of one another.

When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone, and quickly gets back into formation.

If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are headed the same way we are.

When the head goose gets tired, it rotates back in the wing, and another goose flies point.

It is sensible to take turns doing demanding jobs, with people or with geese flying south. Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up the speed.

As an important note, when geese get sick, or wounded by gunshot and falls out of formation, two other geese fall out with the goose and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly or until it dies, and only then do they launch out on their own, or with another formation. to catch up with their group.

If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other like that.

Keep On Diggin'_Suave

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
Re: We All Need Goose Sense!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:32:24 PM »
I have shot my share of geese.  Very seldom do any of the others stop to help and instead the uninjured  "get out of dodge".   Only time I see an unshot goose turn around for a look, is when there was a pair of geese.   However, your analogy on mutual support is a good one. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 15
Re: We All Need Goose Sense!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
Excellent stuff Suave!

North Vancouver, BC

Gear Pan
Gold Rat