collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mike(swWash)chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 146 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130862
  • stats Total Topics: 18307
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Making a living hand mining  (Read 1904 times)

Offline upnorth

• Province/State: yukon
  • Kudos: 4
Re: Making a living hand mining
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »
Dan said."There are FAR more <.25g days than there are >1g days. However my YouTube viewers have spoken VERY loudly that they don't like watching the "dud" days. So I usually make the videos the viewers want.".
Aww Dan I was going to retire early so I could grab some of that gold, before it's gone   :-(.  I can't type anymore my eyes are watering up

Offline PhilipGold

• Kudos: 20
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 03:35:58 PM »
beans_n_bacon_pan.jpg
There is a great paragraph about a miner owning dog food but not a dog.

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 16
  • https://youtu.be/RhFRkgpURW0
    • youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 06:18:35 PM »
suburbanator... can you give us  a title number of 1 of your cells so we can see where you are at on the fraser...if not asking 2 much...ken

Naaaaa....all my friends know where to find me. ...   but your welcome to PM me to discuss.

Sunday was 2.5 hour drive to an area near Falls Creek then 20 min hike/climb ,  1 hour test panning approximately 14 locations,  45 mins prepping area for highbanker work (removing large rocks etc) and then 41 mins of multiple people feeding the highbanker which we only stopped because  we were a  teaching/helping a relatively new prospector and had limited time. Concluded by a 2.5 hour drive back.

Net was 0.61grams..... so you can look at as .61grams per 41 mins of highbanking or .61 grams for a  9  hour day!!  You can spin the math however you want.  We were also obviously on a pretty good spot,  and likely one that is only available for a few weeks of low water.

The work is absolutely back breaking,   guys like Knucklebuster for example can really work a shovel and I have seen a few other guys at McBains place that can really dig,  but for most people  a couple hours max of "hard" digging....   

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 08:08:39 PM »
Hi.GuysI gave Dan A kudo for his reply.Some may Disagree but I watch all his vids and keep my eyes and ears open.I agree with his post on this topic.The average person watching all the gold shows only see and hear what they want to.They tune every thing else out.The amount of folks wanting to come to Canada astounds me.they honestly believe every thing they see.But theyb only see what they want to .They do not see the bad days on discovery or the millions tied up in eqipment and the chance of going broke in a heart beat.No they only see what they want to.How many folks buy a claim off Kijji going to the youkon to get rich and are never heard of again.Why because they can not get a fmc or citizenship( that is in BC)but you all get my point.The Yukon  has rules too.Just ranting.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Suave

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 20
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 07:32:56 AM »
There are FAR more <.25g days than there are >1g days. However my YouTube viewers have spoken VERY loudly that they don't like watching the "dud" days. So I usually make the videos the viewers want. I could never make a living panning or highbanking. Even those videos I did on a VERY good claim I was clear I could not keep up that pace for more than an hour. I have got 1 ounce in a day Twice in my ten years. And both those time there were 3 of us reading the high banker. So really only 1/3 of an ounce. And those were very special spots.

I second that. Although I think you have me beat Dan. I have never pulled out an ounce in a day in over 40 years of prospecting. Lots of .25g days and occasional 1 gram plus days. Multi-gram days are usually in low water sniping bedrock.

Regards.

Keep On Diggin'_Suave

Offline rev red wolf

• Province/State: CO
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 10:30:17 PM »
I had the same idea back in 2010 when I moved to CO the first time. 5 years in Northern CO, then I traveled around the country for awhile. Last May made the move back to South Central CO. Research online and in the desert Mountains since then. Lots of indicator minerals and a good opportunity to file claims. WORKING claims. Others have mined this area before and the very patient Chinese workers followed. Long time ago and many storms and floods since have left lots of bedrock exposed and many places been to have red, white (quartz) and blue bands, not little. Been doing my homework every day. Lots of fine gold and am in a Turquoise area. Snows about gone and I'm ready to go to work. It is worth the work and I love the Mountain desert

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »
If you are young and have no other obligations, then do it.  Many of use wish we had.  You probably won't get rich and will most likely get spanked by the experience.  On the other hand, it will be something spectacular to remember.  Good luck and stay safe. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Lanny

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 09:37:03 PM »
suburbanator... can you give us  a title number of 1 of your cells so we can see where you are at on the fraser...if not asking 2 much...ken

Naaaaa....all my friends know where to find me. ...   but your welcome to PM me to discuss.

Sunday was 2.5 hour drive to an area near Falls Creek then 20 min hike/climb ,  1 hour test panning approximately 14 locations,  45 mins prepping area for highbanker work (removing large rocks etc) and then 41 mins of multiple people feeding the highbanker which we only stopped because  we were a  teaching/helping a relatively new prospector and had limited time. Concluded by a 2.5 hour drive back.

Net was 0.61grams..... so you can look at as .61grams per 41 mins of highbanking or .61 grams for a  9  hour day!!  You can spin the math however you want.  We were also obviously on a pretty good spot,  and likely one that is only available for a few weeks of low water.

The work is absolutely back breaking,   guys like Knucklebuster for example can really work a shovel and I have seen a few other guys at McBains place that can really dig,  but for most people  a couple hours max of "hard" digging....

What a great thing to do, to help out a rookie!

I have so much fun working with rookies as I love to watch them light-up when they get some gold, nothing like it.

As well, it reminds me of the Sour-Doughs that took pity on me as a rookie, to get me started the right way.

So, I think it was great what you did.

I'll add something else: whenever I come across someone else chasing the gold (rookies or seasoned pros), it instantly creates a common bond due to the shared common interest. (In all the years I've met other prospectors, there's only been a few bad apples  as the vast majority have been great people.

All the best,

Lanny

Gear Pan
Gold Rat