collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mcbainDhodgins

Dot Guests: 141 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129925
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Making a living hand mining  (Read 1342 times)

Offline fredrick

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 6
Making a living hand mining
« on: March 24, 2019, 06:30:47 AM »
So I decided to quit my job to mine. I will be hand mining only. I figured I can make a couple hundred a day. I saw Dan Hurds video and he gets a gram an hour just panning and thats $50 an hour from the Fraser. I have a claim on the Fraser Im headed out next week to go mine. Any suggestions from anyone that will help ke is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Langley BC
  • Kudos: 25
Re: Making a living hand mining
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:15:07 AM »
fredrick,
Don't believe everything you see in a video.  for the kind of money you are talking about making from the Fraser, you will be lucky to get enough to pay for your gas to either get to the claim or run a high banker. Not to mention your meals.

Seems to me the "Fever " has hit you and you have not taken time to think things out before leaping.

Don't quit your job, work the claim to death on your days off and see what it produces. I think "reality" will then kick in.

In any event Good Luck on what ever you decide.

Offline garth64

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 07:15:44 AM »
Call your boss back  :'(

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 19
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 07:20:32 AM »
I hope your post is meant as Sunday morning humor. If not, I'm wondering if you're counting all of Dan's exploring, shoveling, classifying, and sluicing time to get to the concentrates that you think on average yield a gram per hour? Maybe before you run off and do this you might want to calculate how many tons of material you expect to move to get a gram of gold. Then try it just 1 weekend to prove your plan before you quit that your job.

lol!!!@*  <-hypnotized-> But if you're gonna do it - go big. Perhaps you could hire, say, a dozen, high school kids at $20 per hour - downgrade your expectation about 20%  just because, and you'll be making, ah, let's see 20 x 12 = $240 per hour! Maybe more!. Then maybe get those Gold Rush show people to put you TV for another bunch of money.

Offline fredrick

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
Thanks Garth. I dont expect to get rich but should be able to get by. I didnt like my job anyways and can always get another one if things dont pan out. I have been thinking about this for a long time just didnt have the right claim. Ive been out there a couple times and there is good gold. There are a few videos out of Dan doing calculations of getting gold and it looks like you could easily get by. A gram an hour panning is good. Imagine running highbanker. He did a video on thst too and can get an oz every 5 days. Thats more then I make now. I understand Dan is one of the better prospectors in the world but if I could get half that I would be happy and could make a go at it.

Offline Davidloc

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »
Dan has some of my favorite vids on YouTube but you should have a look at a vlogger on YouTube called Two Toes. He covers a lot of the dud days that you may encounter as well.

Offline upnorth

• Province/State: yukon
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 07:49:49 AM »
It sounds like your mind is made up. Good luck ! Take lotsa video and post them. You can probably get lotsa help if you want it...I would like to join but I'm working in Yukon. Maybe Dan could secretly drop some nuggets in your sluice to share his fortune he makes from reselling claims and YouTube posts. :-)

Offline fredrick

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
I will be making videos of the trip. I dont have service out there so probably just wiat till fall and when the season is over to make my series. I know it will be hard and wont make alotnof money but its the experience and not working a 9-5. Even if I get a few grams a day I will be happy, my expenses will be minimum. And i think that should be easy to get a few grams a day from Fraser.

Offline garth64

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 08:25:09 AM »
Go slow and steady half shovel  scoopes , save your back, im one step up  of hand mining this year , im hoping for 2 yards an hour. your welcome to come visit.

Offline fredrick

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 08:29:05 AM »
Go slow and steady half shovel  scoopes , save your back, im one step up  of hand mining this year , im hoping for 2 yards an hour. your
welcome to come visit.

Thank you for the offer and would like to see your operation. Are you hand digging? 2 yards an hour hand digging? How much gold a day are you getting? Do you mine full time? My only worry is the fraser is going to flood during summer so I am looking for another claim but dont want to give my money to a flipper and I cant stake claims I always get beat by them.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat