collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

pascalfortier

Dot Guests: 149 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129928
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Gold panning North west ontario  (Read 570 times)

Offline eoinl4529

• Province/State: ontario canada
  • Kudos: 0
Gold panning North west ontario
« on: March 22, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »
Hi i have recently stared working in north west ontario and am wondering has anyone panned for gold in the region? Im not far from rainy river village and also the river.

Any tips on where to go would be greatly appreiciated.

Offline Davidloc

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 5
Re: Gold panning North west ontario
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
Have a look at the MLAS site and you will see that most of southern Ontario is excluded from claims due to the heavy population.  A lot of gold areas can be found by looking at the history of the area that you're looking at. Kirkland , Timmins and Cochrane  are examples of where gold has and continues to be found.  You can find gold just about anywhere and when I first picked up a pan set I tried in a creek near downtown Ottawa and picked up 2 tiny flecks of gold after 20 or so pans. Did I find gold ? Yes. Would I bother looking there anymore ? Nope.

Offline eoinl4529

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
Im actually working in a gold mine atm up nw ontario but its lode gold and in very fine. Think they are getting less tham a g a tonne. Im going to hit some creeks around here to see if maybe some made it to a river but with such small concemtrates in the rock what would be in the river i assume would be microscopic.
Im just lookong for pointers im case someone has gone up here before and either found some or didnt find some. Be handy to know where it is or isnt

Offline Davidloc

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 10:38:27 AM »
One thing that helped me understand where it might be is looking at the history of the rock we live on and how it was and is being formed. Mountains , rivers and even continents slide all over the place when millions (billions) of years are involved. Even at 1 gram / ton , erosion and other forms of terraforming may have laid out a track of gold for miles around. If the same mountain containing the mine was 95 million tons 128 million years ago and erosion/etc. wore down 10 million tons of rock and the vein into the water way then somewhere down in the valley is the gold that was washed away if the vein went all the way to the surface. If they are mining gold that isn't visible but are chemically extracted then you won't see it on the ground either. Does the mine you are working in have visible gold as in a vein ?

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
One of my neighbours is a moose hunter.  When he was in NW Ontario a couple of years ago, two guys showed up with a small dredge and showed him the results after about 4 hours in the creek near where they were hunting.  They got gold and by the sound of it, pretty good gold.  He did not tell me exactly where this spot might be. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline eoinl4529

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:33:16 PM »
One thing that helped me understand where it might be is looking at the history of the rock we live on and how it was and is being formed. Mountains , rivers and even continents slide all over the place when millions (billions) of years are involved. Even at 1 gram / ton , erosion and other forms of terraforming may have laid out a track of gold for miles around. If the same mountain containing the mine was 95 million tons 128 million years ago and erosion/etc. wore down 10 million tons of rock and the vein into the water way then somewhere down in the valley is the gold that was washed away if the vein went all the way to the surface. If they are mining gold that isn't visible but are chemically extracted then you won't see it on the ground either. Does the mine you are working in have visible gold as in a vein ?

I think most of what they find is not visable and is chemically extracted. However i also heard there is lumps stuck in quartz. I think they are having trouble finding  the main lode and they're finding much less than expected. Its only all roumers as im only doing a construction project and not employed direct. I might be ditrct soon though, so ill get more info then, but until i do i will only be gettin roumers

Offline eoinl4529

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »
One of my neighbours is a moose hunter.  When he was in NW Ontario a couple of years ago, two guys showed up with a small dredge and showed him the results after about 4 hours in the creek near where they were hunting.  They got gold and by the sound of it, pretty good gold.  He did not tell me exactly where this spot might be.

Hey thanks for the info. I know there is some up here. Ill just have to set out and find it. Its jusy trying to find where to start!!

Offline buckshotbob

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 05:05:33 AM »
The area your in has a history of scam artists for years playing the claim game. There is good gold up there but in only a few economical sources that where worth mining. The island in lake of the woods is one such spot. Old mine trying to revive the glory days.
From a panning perspective trace can be found in a number of locations. Fly specks are the norm.

On 502 south of Dryden some vg has been found off the highway and there are old gold mines off Manitou lake .I spent most of my time out there chasing moly and emeralds . If you go on ogs google click on abandone mines locate them and use the creeks around them to pan. This is how most of them where found in the first place.

Not much help but good luck to you...cliff

Offline eoinl4529

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 07:48:26 PM »
The area your in has a history of scam artists for years playing the claim game. There is good gold up there but in only a few economical sources that where worth mining. The island in lake of the woods is one such spot. Old mine trying to revive the glory days.
From a panning perspective trace can be found in a number of locations. Fly specks are the norm.

On 502 south of Dryden some vg has been found off the highway and there are old gold mines off Manitou lake .I spent most of my time out there chasing moly and emeralds . If you go on ogs google click on abandone mines locate them and use the creeks around them to pan. This is how most of them where found in the first place.

Not much help but good luck to you...cliff

Could be many scam artists around but they are turning out gold alright no doubt there.

Im jusy going to try hit some creeks Round the locality somewhere im allowed. What do you mean by vg south od Dryden?

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »
vg = visible gold

I used to have a book published by the government of Ontario, which described the reported placer gold in the province.  I took a look and cannot find it.  The good news is I found it with a google search - it is available for download and might be a way to get you started:

ONTARIO OCCURRENCES
OF
FLOAT, PLACER GOLD, AND OTHER
HEAVY MINERALS
by
S. A. Ferguson and E.B. Freeman

See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Gear Pan
Gold Rat