collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

pascalfortiermcbainLanny

Dot Guests: 130 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12921
  • stats Total Posts: 129595
  • stats Total Topics: 18116
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Chasing the gold with Lanny  (Read 2775 times)

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 123
Re: Chasing the gold with Lanny
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2019, 08:49:58 PM »
Hi.Guys a lot of us are Hunters and want that great big moose.Never get in his way when they are rutting.I was a kid back then but still remember this like it was a movie.I will use (Wofl gang for a name).We were out on a bit of a boat trip.Wolfgang wanted to tag a long and packed his canoe on top of his VW bug.We had a great day but never seen any moose.We were back at the road and Wolfgang was packing out his canoe.he was cursing and swearing a lot and banging into trees as he hiked threw the swamp,Al of a sudden their was another sound, a lot of snorting and crashing and bush breaking.Dad yelled at Wolf gang Drop that canoe and get out of there.He looked back dropped the canoe and dived under his VW bug.Wolfgang was a good 300lbs but he dove under that bug.just as the moose rammed his antlers threw the  side and tossed that VW like it was a plastic bag.Dad as cool as a cucumber blew the brains out of that moose.He gutted it and quarted it up and loaded it in the truck.Wolfgang was still lying on the ground and muttering a whole lot of gibberish I did not understand and he smelled real bad.Dad walked over and said to him hey wolfie moose stakes at our place to night.Do not remember a lot but wolfgang did not come to dinner that night.Do not think he ever went in the woods again.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Online Lanny

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2019, 11:23:49 PM »
Hi.Guys a lot of us are Hunters and want that great big moose.Never get in his way when they are rutting.I was a kid back then but still remember this like it was a movie.I will use (Wofl gang for a name).We were out on a bit of a boat trip.Wolfgang wanted to tag a long and packed his canoe on top of his VW bug.We had a great day but never seen any moose.We were back at the road and Wolfgang was packing out his canoe.he was cursing and swearing a lot and banging into trees as he hiked threw the swamp,Al of a sudden their was another sound, a lot of snorting and crashing and bush breaking.Dad yelled at Wolf gang Drop that canoe and get out of there.He looked back dropped the canoe and dived under his VW bug.Wolfgang was a good 300lbs but he dove under that bug.just as the moose rammed his antlers threw the  side and tossed that VW like it was a plastic bag.Dad as cool as a cucumber blew the brains out of that moose.He gutted it and quarted it up and loaded it in the truck.Wolfgang was still lying on the ground and muttering a whole lot of gibberish I did not understand and he smelled real bad.Dad walked over and said to him hey wolfie moose stakes at our place to night.Do not remember a lot but wolfgang did not come to dinner that night.Do not think he ever went in the woods again.Luck,Mcbain.

Moose are indeed bad news. Someday I'll write about the story one of my prospecting buddies told me of his near-death experience with a cow moose that had new twin calves with her, scary stuff indeed.

All the best, and thanks for your story,

Lanny

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2019, 07:11:20 PM »
Try getting between a sow grizzley and her cubs.Back inthe early 70sw I was running a large tree planting project. north of Babine lake.we had skid trails all over the bush.I was moving a 10 man crew from one site to another.As most folks know a skid trail is  slow going and hard on a 4x4.Can not go very fast.I had 10 planters sitting in the box when I caught a movement off to the side.2 bear cubs playing.It only took a second to realize,Where the  {-censored-} is momma.Ihit the gas and started grabbing gears but we were in some ugly clay and I was not gaining speed.About that time the guys in the back were screaming for there lives.I looked in the mirror and sure enough Momma Grizz was trying to tear the box of that truck.To this day I do not know what saved us.We may have gained some speed or simply got far enough away from those cubs but that pickup box was completely destroyed.All the tree planters went home and never returned???? just a day in the woods.Luck,Mcbain.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2019, 10:32:33 AM »
Ah McBain, she was only giving you a warning.  If that Momma was truly angry (or hungry), you would have lost more than just the tailgate, no matter how fast that skidder could go.  ;-)
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
Hi.Sunshine you are so right.But I had to go back to the same place the next day.I was a little smarter this time.I took the old Nodwell.Fully enclosed track machine.Rifle beside me.That machine could blast threw any thing.No Momma Grizz she simply moved on never to be seen again that summer.Mcbain.

Online Lanny

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
Hi.Sunshine you are so right.But I had to go back to the same place the next day.I was a little smarter this time.I took the old Nodwell.Fully enclosed track machine.Rifle beside me.That machine could blast threw any thing.No Momma Grizz she simply moved on never to be seen again that summer.Mcbain.

I've had enough run-ins with cranky bears to truly respect their ferocious strength and ability.

Most of the bears turn tail and run, but then there's the undeterred few that decide to advance . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Online Lanny

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »
Gold Monster Outing

Went to the gold camp in the Rocky Mountains last week. The weather was gorgeous, all kinds of songbirds back, plus the flowers of the mountain meadows are in full bloom, purple crocus and shooting stars, yellow buttercups, multi-coloured Johnny Jump-ups, etc., etc.

At the camp as I was checking over the living quarters (camper and two travel trailers), a humming bird buzzed straight past my right ear! That snappy racket from those wings going a million miles an hour is unmistakable. So, we set out the humming bird feeders hoping to catch a glimpse of the beautiful and dazzling red to orange coloured throat of the Roufus variety before they head farther north, and we’ll keep an eye out for the beautiful iridescent green of the more common ones that sticks around all season.

My wife unpacked her shiny new Minelab Gold Monster, and for those of you familiar with the machine, there’s not much reading to do, but I watched a whack of user videos before we hit the mountains so I could give my little darlin’ some tips and guidelines as she set out to learn how to use it.

I picked a spot for her to try her luck on, an old fairly level place in a valley where some placer miners once had their wash-plant. The claim is now abandoned, last worked by some modern-day Chinese miners, but they left the area under a gloomy cloud, and I doubt they’ll ever be back.

I gave my June Bride some general instructions on how to run the Gold Monster (I’d never used one before, but the YouTube and other user-posted videos were a great help. Furthermore, I’d like to give a shout-out to Bill Southern for his wonderful educational efforts.). But, we figured the Monster out quite quickly, and that’s why I’m grateful to Steve Herschbach for recommending I get my sweetheart one due to its ease of use, and kudos to Steve and Jonathan Porter for their write-ups on the machine which helped me quickly get a handle on the basics; their input was invaluable.

By eye-balling the old site, I could tell pretty close to where the Chinese had pulled out their wash-plant, so I used that information to gauge where I’d have my wife start to detect as there are always some “spill” areas that offer a better shot at finding a nugget or two. Having said that, it was easy to see they had bladed and bucketed the area carefully after they were done to gather any spilled material; those miners were no greenhorns.

I blocked off in a rough rectangle an area I thought might pay, and right away, my wife was hitting targets, but they were almost all ferrous, so she kept experimenting toggling back and forth between discriminate and all iron, learning the different sounds, learning how to make it easier to ID targets (to get them to sound off louder), learning how to read the little bar graph when it gave its indication of non-ferrous more than ferrous, as well as getting used to the sounds of shallow vs. deeper targets, and learning how to use the magnet wand to save time while sorting trash signals. (To elaborate, she’s a great panner, but a green, green rookie when it comes to nugget shooting.)

The thing about detecting an old wash-plant set-up is that it gets very easy to quickly tell where the repairs (welds, patches, etc.) took place, and the numerous bits of welding rod sure make for some interesting sounds, and curious readings on the graph! Having said that, the Monster’s discriminator sure came in handy, and yes, depth was lost, but by using the small round coil, target separation was much better, and I was impressed at how my wife was able to move slowly from target to target, separating their locations, as she dug out signals.

While she was test-driving the Monster, I was going for a comfortable cruise with my Gold Bug Pro. That is one hot machine, at least mine is. (I’ve heard detecting folklore that some machines leave the factory “hotter” than others, and I have no idea it that’s true or not, but the one I have is a firecracker for sure, super sensitive, and a true gold hound for sniffing out gold from tiny flakes to meaty nuggets.)

I started to hit non-ferrous targets in one slice of her search area, so I marked a few so she could check them out. Well, those miners had liked their cigarettes, and there were plenty of crumpled bits of foil from the wrappers as well as some other kind of lead foil with a gold-coloured outer covering that made for some increased heartbeat, but only turned out to be a bust.

After having dug some of those duds, she called me over. “Hey, what do you think of this signal?”. She was getting a great reading on the Monster, and it sounded sweet too. She worked the ground for a bit chasing the target around with her scoop (when a target runs from the scoop, it’s usually something heavy, as most ferrous trash seems to hop quickly into the scoop). Dropping the dirt from the scoop onto the coil, she moved things around and there sat a pretty little picker, about a quarter of a gram! Man, was she pumped!!

So, she kept on working that rectangle while I ranged farther afield with the Bug Pro, and I too found all kinds of cigarette foil, and that maddening, thick lead foil with gold coloring--craziest stuff I’ve ever seen, and I have no idea what it originally contained. I recovered a small aluminum parts tag, several electrical connectors, bits of lead, and pieces of broken brass likely from a bushing of some kind.

My wife gave another shout, and over I went. Her meter was pinning consistently in the sweet zone, the signal sound nice and crisp. Capturing the target, she threw the dirt in a gold pan. Next, she then used the Garret Carrot to chase the signal around the pan. She moved some dirt then cried out, “Look at this. Is this gold?” At first, it was hard to tell what it was due to a covering of grey clay, but using a bit of water soon revealed a sassy nugget! If I’d thought she was excited about her first find, it was nothing compared to her reaction on that one!

I can only come to this conclusion: The Minelab Gold Monster is a sweet machine that sure produces sweet results, because it’s so easy to use, and it makes my sweetheart happy (couldn’t resist punning on sweet, forgive me).

All the best,

Lanny

Offline bruno

• Province/State: Coquitlam
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2019, 01:21:00 PM »
Great story Lanny, I bet your wife can't wait to get out and use that detector again. I just recently bought a Gold Bug Pro, they are getting hard to find seeing
that Fisher quit making them, and there are Chinese copies on Amazon. Only a few places that still sell the ones made in the US. I hope to get out soon
and learn how to use it properly. <-yes_>

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2019, 07:46:12 PM »
Hi.Lanny loving it.A couple more trips and she will have it down pat.But never ignore the bad signals.There is more than gold to found.One of the best signals I got with my garret AT was apiece of gum wrapper.My claim is loaded with iron rocks but this spot was just dirt.I had to dig 2 ft.to find it.And that still has me scratching my head.Last fall we buried a 5.7g nugget at about 6 inches in the same kind of dirt no rocks.The signal was so faint,I could not believe it.Do I chalk it up to a fualty tool or just a stupid operator?Me thinks the operator.Luck,Mcbain.

Online Lanny

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »
Great story Lanny, I bet your wife can't wait to get out and use that detector again. I just recently bought a Gold Bug Pro, they are getting hard to find seeing
that Fisher quit making them, and there are Chinese copies on Amazon. Only a few places that still sell the ones made in the US. I hope to get out soon
and learn how to use it properly. <-yes_>

Bruno, thanks for dropping in and for leaving  your nice comments.

As for my Bug Pro, made in the U.S.A. and hotter than a bandit's pistol on gold, came hot from the factory, and I love it. That detector has paid for itself so many times over that I stopped counting long ago . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Gear Pan
Gold Rat