collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mooncounterFisser

Dot Guests: 276 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12961
  • stats Total Posts: 129981
  • stats Total Topics: 18180
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Chasing the gold with Lanny  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Lanny

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Chasing the gold with Lanny
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »
Almost 40 years ago I was a single, young(er), strapping regional sales manager and in the course of a company provided move to a new region I bought a "fixer upper" house. 

With a background in construction I began to renovate the small house in my (weekend) free time.  A long process but I had time. 

After a week of travel and a Saturday filled with renovation work I was pretty tired, and since I was just using a radio for entertainment and it was really late and I was really tired I decided to hit the sack. 

The house was on the edge of town and it was a very quiet place during the summers and so it didn't take long for sleep to almost overtake me --- when I heard voices.  Soft, indistinct voices, both men's and women's voices

It was late at night and there should be no one out at that time of night - but - I could just, just hear the soft voices without making out the words.  5 minutes later I thought I would just check to make sure that the radio had been turned off - and it had.  5 minutes later I heard voices again so I got up once more, got dressed and decided to find out where the soft talking was coming from --- since it must be coming from outside.  Possibly a late party's sounds traveling on the light wind but certainly somewhere nearby.

Of course, there was nobody out on that warm, late summer night - so I shook my head and went back to bed again.  Just before nodding off I heard the whispered voices again - and again I could hear something but I just couldn't make out even one recognizable word. 

At that point the realization hit - it was the absolute quiet.  My subconscious had 'filled in' the lack of sound with 'white noise' and that white noise was simply 'remembered' voices from somewhere in the past few weeks.

So, when I hear about hearing voices in the night I chuckle and remember that time when ...............

Thanks for the story Joe, and just when you were starting to weird me out, your subconscious solved the mystery, interesting result to what was getting rather freaky.

Shakespeare truly understood that what we can imagine is far worse than reality . . .

All the best, and thanks for adding to this story thread,

Lanny

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2019, 08:41:43 PM »
Hey Lanny was going to tell you a story about the meanest Devils out there but my hands are having trouble on the key booard.Had any fun with the WOLVERINE?Tasmania Devils are tame compared to this guy.Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Lanny

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
Hey Lanny was going to tell you a story about the meanest Devils out there but my hands are having trouble on the key booard.Had any fun with the WOLVERINE?Tasmania Devils are tame compared to this guy.Mcbain.

When the hands get steadier, give it a shot.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 71
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
Ahhh - Lanny,

I think that mcbain 's hands aren'y trembling from the excitement over the upcoming mining season - but rather some of that excitement  he alluded to over an encounter with that evil guy   <~ShOcK~>  <~ShOcK~> <~ShOcK~>.  Probably the ghost of the miner from a couple of generations in the past ownership of his mining spot.   <-dont~know->

Looking forward to your mining story, Mark!
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »
This story is not about any encounters I have had personally while mining.But many a prospector has and I have heard the stories.Told many times up in the peace river country.Wolverines generally leave you be unless you set down a pack full of food.They mostly go after a minors cabin where the winter grub is stored.They will chew a hole threw a 10 inch log just to get a snack while the old prospector be a sleeping.They will destroy every thing in that cabin and never bother the old guy sleeping.They will pack of his food,chew the stock of his gun and never bother the old guy sleeping.Many a minor or trapper have set traps to catch them to no avail.When caught in a trap they simply chew of the foot that is caught in the trap and carry on.They can tear a Grizzly to shreds when confronted.They are pure evil and feel no pain.We cornered one one time.We chased it out of a shack.My brother chased it shooting on the run.Shooting and reloading as he chased the demon.We fired 28 shots in all from a small 25-35 winchester.The demon finally dropped.We skinned that demon out and only found 55 holes,should have bee 56.We came to the conclusion that the last shot went threw the brain and out the mouth and that is what stopped it.The whole point I am trying to make here is that these are the toughest critters known to man.Place called Meziadian jct.where semies pull over.There is abig old guy  that attacks the semies tires even while moving and the drivers will not stop to get out and have a pee.If they stop this old boy will leave them no tires.Just saying.Luck ,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Lanny

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
This story is not about any encounters I have had personally while mining.But many a prospector has and I have heard the stories.Told many times up in the peace river country.Wolverines generally leave you be unless you set down a pack full of food.They mostly go after a minors cabin where the winter grub is stored.They will chew a hole threw a 10 inch log just to get a snack while the old prospector be a sleeping.They will destroy every thing in that cabin and never bother the old guy sleeping.They will pack of his food,chew the stock of his gun and never bother the old guy sleeping.Many a minor or trapper have set traps to catch them to no avail.When caught in a trap they simply chew of the foot that is caught in the trap and carry on.They can tear a Grizzly to shreds when confronted.They are pure evil and feel no pain.We cornered one one time.We chased it out of a shack.My brother chased it shooting on the run.Shooting and reloading as he chased the demon.We fired 28 shots in all from a small 25-35 winchester.The demon finally dropped.We skinned that demon out and only found 55 holes,should have bee 56.We came to the conclusion that the last shot went threw the brain and out the mouth and that is what stopped it.The whole point I am trying to make here is that these are the toughest critters known to man.Place called Meziadian jct.where semies pull over.There is abig old guy  that attacks the semies tires even while moving and the drivers will not stop to get out and have a pee.If they stop this old boy will leave them no tires.Just saying.Luck ,Mcbain.

McBain, never had an encounter with a wolverine, but it sounds like I never want to either. Thanks for posting the story about your encounter and the reflections from others.

When I was chasing the gold in the Omineca, that's the only time I ever saw a wolverine, and he was crossing the road, minding his own business. After reading  your post, glad I've never had the opportunity to tangle with a cranky one.

All the best, and keep sharing those stories you've got stored in your head please,

Lanny

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
I have never seen a live wolverine (outside of a zoo), but have encountered a few badgers and they were bad enough.  One quick story (of course): 

My summer job was electronically testing for oil near the border in Sask.  We had to drill inline holes, deep enough to hit moisture, for 10' electrodes at 50M and 500M on either side of the test truck (a 1 ton with a "doghouse" on the back stuffed with gear).  However, if any hole was still dry after 15', we could dump 20-30 gallons of water into it to make our own moist environment.   

Towards the end of one long hot day which consisted of dilling, running out wire and placing electrodes, testing, picking up the wire (75 lbs) and electrodes and then moving 1 KM to do it all over again.....Mike, the clever fellow running the drill, noticed a badger hole exactly where he needed a hole.  You can tell it is badger, because the holes are big and they go straight down as far as you can see.  On the other hand, a bunny hole goes sideways and would be useless for our purpose.   

Now, a smarter man would look for footprints in the excavated dirt to confirm the hole was unoccupied.  However, our hero (not me - I was rolling out wire for the next hole) casually opened the tap for the required gush of water out a fat rubber hose.   Everything was going perfectly to plan.   He could see, as he peered over the edge into the abyss, that the hole was holding water.  For at least a minute, there was a nice calm surface reflecting in the afternoon sun. 

The next second, the water disappeared, like a huge flushing toilet.   A beast from the bowels of the earth scrambled upwards like a rocket with solid booster fuel.   Just like a cartoon, it didn't stop climbing until it was about 5' over Mike's head, whereby it crashed to earth a gravity took over.   Critter growling.  Driller screaming.  The rest of us laughing and cheering in amusement.  Mr Badger hit the ground with such force, that it would have killed a lessor creature.  I can honestly say, nothing is uglier than a huge, wet and angry badger.  Teeth bared, water arching into the sky and no clear route to escape.  At the same time, Mike was jumping backwards with both feet solidly together, as if he was on a pogo stick, towards the open door and safety of the truck.   

However, the badger had a different idea, ran in a tight circle around Mike and into the cab of his truck.  Minutes later, the radio on our vests squacked "Ah, Mike, you are going to have to get that thing out of there".  No doubt, there was some glee in the crew chief's voice.  At this point, wishing for a camera we were all entertained as we watched poor Mike, with great hesitation and talking in his most reasonable voice begged Mr. Badger to please leave.  Nothing.  He poked around and under the bench seat with the electrode.  Nothing.   To be honest, none of us saw the badger leave and I am not sure we would have told him anyway.  It made for a fun drive back to our hotel, constantly  suggesting to Mike over the radio of all the possible places that he forgot to look. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline poncho

• Happy Trails
  • Province/State: chase bc
  • Kudos: 14
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2019, 03:50:59 PM »
Thanks Lanny  sunshine  Mark and Joe  for all theses enjoyable tales
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Offline Lanny

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2019, 09:19:39 PM »
I have never seen a live wolverine (outside of a zoo), but have encountered a few badgers and they were bad enough.  One quick story (of course): 

My summer job was electronically testing for oil near the border in Sask.  We had to drill inline holes, deep enough to hit moisture, for 10' electrodes at 50M and 500M on either side of the test truck (a 1 ton with a "doghouse" on the back stuffed with gear).  However, if any hole was still dry after 15', we could dump 20-30 gallons of water into it to make our own moist environment.   

Towards the end of one long hot day which consisted of dilling, running out wire and placing electrodes, testing, picking up the wire (75 lbs) and electrodes and then moving 1 KM to do it all over again.....Mike, the clever fellow running the drill, noticed a badger hole exactly where he needed a hole.  You can tell it is badger, because the holes are big and they go straight down as far as you can see.  On the other hand, a bunny hole goes sideways and would be useless for our purpose.   

Now, a smarter man would look for footprints in the excavated dirt to confirm the hole was unoccupied.  However, our hero (not me - I was rolling out wire for the next hole) casually opened the tap for the required gush of water out a fat rubber hose.   Everything was going perfectly to plan.   He could see, as he peered over the edge into the abyss, that the hole was holding water.  For at least a minute, there was a nice calm surface reflecting in the afternoon sun. 

The next second, the water disappeared, like a huge flushing toilet.   A beast from the bowels of the earth scrambled upwards like a rocket with solid booster fuel.   Just like a cartoon, it didn't stop climbing until it was about 5' over Mike's head, whereby it crashed to earth a gravity took over.   Critter growling.  Driller screaming.  The rest of us laughing and cheering in amusement.  Mr Badger hit the ground with such force, that it would have killed a lessor creature.  I can honestly say, nothing is uglier than a huge, wet and angry badger.  Teeth bared, water arching into the sky and no clear route to escape.  At the same time, Mike was jumping backwards with both feet solidly together, as if he was on a pogo stick, towards the open door and safety of the truck.   

However, the badger had a different idea, ran in a tight circle around Mike and into the cab of his truck.  Minutes later, the radio on our vests squacked "Ah, Mike, you are going to have to get that thing out of there".  No doubt, there was some glee in the crew chief's voice.  At this point, wishing for a camera we were all entertained as we watched poor Mike, with great hesitation and talking in his most reasonable voice begged Mr. Badger to please leave.  Nothing.  He poked around and under the bench seat with the electrode.  Nothing.   To be honest, none of us saw the badger leave and I am not sure we would have told him anyway.  It made for a fun drive back to our hotel, constantly  suggesting to Mike over the radio of all the possible places that he forgot to look.

Loved the story about the badger, fierce and fearless creatures.

I tried to chase one on my horse one day.  The horse was way smarter than I was. He threw me off on my head and went back home and left me to face the angry badger. Lucky for me we'd just taken all the wire off a section of fence so I was able to dodge in and out of fenceposts for a long stretch and the badger gave up the chase, but talk about snapping and snarling as he chased me. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the story, and all the best,

Lanny

Offline Lanny

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »
Thanks Lanny  sunshine  Mark and Joe  for all theses enjoyable tales

Thanks for dropping in to leave a note, much appreciated.

All the best,

Lanny

Gear Pan
Gold Rat