collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 337 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131029
  • stats Total Topics: 18328
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Chasing the gold with Lanny  (Read 7241 times)

Offline Lanny

• Kudos: 2
Re: Chasing the gold with Lanny
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2019, 01:07:42 AM »
Great stories and wisdom - thanks for sharing Lanny!

Thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline Lanny

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2019, 01:15:20 AM »
Hi.Lanny very great tales and very true.I see folks making the same mistakes today.Example when I am workin a trench or hole I always set aside the first material from the hole.Once i am happy with the hole all my waste goes back in the hole.I am talking Hibanking. of course but it applys to every thing.As I dig further away al the waste goes back in the hole. that was already dug.No rocks or classified mater sitting on top of undug ground.I see so many folks  trough out the waste on top of virgin ground and walk away.Drives me nuts becuase now I got to remove all that waste.I try too get folks to toss the waste un what has already been dug but most just do not get it.Luck Mcbain.

Thanks for leaving such nice feedback, and what you say makes a lot of sense, and more people really could benefit from following your advice.

Some of what you've described about careless people reminds me of a miner I met one day that had uncovered a narrow slice of forgotten virgin ground between two piles of worked ground, virgin ground revealed by removing the tossed out material that covered the area between the two worked spots, and he found himself a little bonanza in that narrow stretch that had been buried long ago by the old-timers that were in a hurry to get to the shallow bedrock and were not careful where they threw the overburden.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline Lanny

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »
Nuggets Stuck To Sticky Bedrock.

Have any of you have ever worked with or hit a sticky, black bedrock while prospecting a river? I ran into this situation one summer where the bedrock had lots of graphite in it, lots of pyrite imbedded in it, and lots of quartz stringers running throughout it, but that black bedrock was sticky, like gooey cheese. Because of that, it sure did hold the nuggets!

They were stuck to it like flies to fly paper, like bugs to a bumper in summertime. That black mess was terrible to pan, and the graphite was murder--my hands were black for days, and the green gold pans looked like you'd used them to change oil.

But, that bedrock sure worked like the perfect gold trap, in fact, as the water dropped in the river over the next few days, I spotted a nugget just by eyeing the bedrock, no detector or pan needed. The nugget was stuck fast to the surface, the first sun-baker I'd ever found.

Anyway, there's more to this story, but I'm interested in input from others, if you've ever run into this stuff before, or anything like it.

Thanks,

Lanny

Offline Lanny

« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »
Since I'm asking questions, I'll post this little story as well:

Upright Sheets of Bedrock Hold Nuggets!

Say, anyone ever seen this?

One summer,  I saw a guy deep down in a hydraulic pit, and he was metal detecting for nuggets. Thing was, he was detecting vertical sheets of slate! He'd run his detector down the sheets of slate, and then across the sheets, and that kind of detecting is mighty hard on the arm, doing everything perpendicular like that,  if you're using a full-sized detector. However, for those of you that have never seen sheets of slate like I'm so poorly trying to describe, imagine sheets of thin plywood standing vertical, the tops at rather jumbled angles to each other, and that's kind of what this feature looked like--also imagine bits of dirt and small river run in between those standing sheets. Obviously the rock was thrust up at a 90 degree angle to the way it was put down by mother nature, and at a 90 degree angle to the flow of the ancient stream bed,  but in its upthrust state, it worked like an excellent sluice box, what with all the jagged ends, and the available spaces between the sheets. Whew!! Quite the explanation--my apologies!

Anyway, he was working his way along these sheets, and I thought he was a little out of it, sort of like "What the heck are you thinking buddy?!", as there was exposed bedrock all over the place in the pit that was lying flat on the ground, stuff that looked much more promising.

So, I was relentlessly hammering that more easily accessible ground-hugging bedrock with my heavy pulse machine. Imagine my surprise when he started to peel off one of those big sheets with a long bar, and then started to carefully scan the small amount of material that fell out from between the sheets. Well, to make a long story short, I looked over to see a  great big grin on his face as he held up a nice, very flat, two gram nugget!!

All the best,

Lanny

Offline Lanny

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2019, 12:43:55 AM »
Actually made it out to chase some gold with the detector.

I'll have to post some pictures later and maybe a bit of a story.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 80
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2019, 12:33:38 PM »
Vertical sheets today started out horizontal back long ago before ground movement, folding and twisting.

Whatever the case, somewhere along the way ...............   <-hypnotized->

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline Lanny

« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »
Catch and Release Gold:

Did something the end of the summer season I haven't done before.

I went to visit a friend of mine that runs a large placer operation.They had made a cut 70 feet deep to bedrock, and they'd piled the dirt up near their huge washplant to be processed. After the large run was finished, there was a small pile of pay left on the big area they'd scraped to push up the remainder of the piled paydirt.

My friend told me to take my detector over to the pile to have a bit of fun. I was shocked by his offer, but of course, I giddy-upped to the site and started swinging my detector. Within minutes I had my first repeatable good signal that was pinning at 40 on the Bug Pro. Using my Garrett Carrot, I'd soon pinpointed a nice, flat nugget in the pile.

I kept working my way around the pile, up and over the pile, and worked my way carefully all the way around the bottom of the pay-pile. In this way, I recovered 5 sassy nuggets, which was much like shooting fish in a barrel, but way more fun.

However, my gold fever brain kept nudging me to try to the scraped area around the pile, a much larger undertaking, so I headed out into the wilderness of flatness . . .

About ten feet out from the pile, I got a good signal under a rock about twice the size of my fist. At least, that's what I thought. But, when I levered the rock out (which was a hot rock), the signal was more to the front of the rock (as it faced the direction of the pay pile). The hot rock had been distorting the signal.

I scanned the hole again where the rock had been, and sure enough, the signal was coming from the area described above, and its signal was pinning in the 60 range on the digital display of the Bug Pro. I used the Garrett Carrot to pinpoint the signal, and it sure came back nice and loud! Moreover, I could see the edge of the nugget.

I reached down at the tip of the Carrot and pulled out a flat and sassy nugget of just under six grams! (The flatness was likely why it read so high on the digital meter.)

I kept working the scraped area and recovered another three nuggets, so by the time the rain hit to stop the party, I'd pulled out nine sweet nuggets in total, weighing in at over a third of an ounce.

It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

Of course there were lots of bits of steel blade and track shavings, but the gold was consistent due to the loaded nature of the area I was working.

I made my way over to my friend's truck to show him what I'd found, and he was surprised that I'd found the biggest nuggets in the scraped area, and he assured me they would sure scrape deep before they were finished with the pay-pile area.

I decided to give him all nine of the nuggets, even though he wanted me to keep some of them, as he's been great to me over the years to let me detect on his claims wherever and whenever.

Fun, fun catch and release day.

All the best,

Lanny

Gear Pan
Gold Rat