collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 205 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131036
  • stats Total Topics: 18330
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Tahltan Nation to Suspend Jade Extraction and Placer Mining in Tahltan Territory  (Read 1192 times)

Offline the gold guy

• Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 5
How can one group of people have more rights than others ?  This is creating rocky ground. After all we all came from the same place ,aliens, Africa,  or what ever!

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 138
Hi.gold guy you are right.Let me make something clear to all on this forum.I am part native.My Grand mother was full blood Ojibway.And that gives me the right to speak on native issues.Yes there have been alot of wrongs done in the past.No different than any other country in the world and the natives deserve their respectWrongs need to be put right.but not at the cost of a nation.Every one onthis continent is a immigrant from some where.The hiadas are from polyneasia the inuit are from Chiana.The central north american natives were driven out of south america by the aztecs and migrated north.The oldest remain found on this continent were those of the Ice Man.He out dated everybody else and he was white.Just saying.The horrors Shoved down the natives throats were not so much the goverment and the white folks but all the religeous churhes the demons from hell.It is those filthy rich santanic churhes that should be  paying the price.Not Canada.Luck Mcbain.Just my opionion.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline graeme1955

• Province/State: chilliwack bc
  • Kudos: 6
Mcbain that is probably the best post you have ever made and I wholly agree with you..... the Canada we grew up with is no longer there,  the corporates have taken over for their own greed, and hide behind religion and talked the heads of the first nations into going for their b s. they  are dividing our country into small groups  and depend on people bickering among themselves, meanwhile they do their dirty work to fulfill their own agenda. Divide and conquer, that is what they are doing.

Offline garth64

• Kudos: 7
Hello there, does anyone have any updates to the situation up there on the jade front, are they still trying to shut down the jade miners , or is this problem fixed.

Offline ykplacer

• Kudos: 25
Hello there, does anyone have any updates to the situation up there on the jade front, are they still trying to shut down the jade miners , or is this problem fixed.

.... a bunch of proposed  new rules ,and  these are  some  of the ""Proposed recommendations"... to the update Bc Enviro Assessment Act...

"Proposed recommendations".

PLACER MINING

BC Mining Law Reform believes the current regulatory regime for placer mines is inadequate. To improve the regime they recommend requiring environmental assessments for proposed placer mine operations, enacting a clear minimum riparian setback of at least 30 meters, and developing strong rules to control the impact of jade mining. The network also advocates for the repeal of section 3(c)(i) of the Placer Mining Waste Control Regulations that exempts certain regions from sections of the Environmental Management Act.

MINERAL TENURE

BC Mining Law Reform recommends adopting a more discretionary approach to mineral tenures that would require landowner consent for mining activities and ensure conformity with the regional land-use plans of Indigenous and local groups. The network also recommends mandating “no-go zones” to protect all designated Old-Growth Management Areas, Wildlife Habitat Areas, and other sensitive areas.

INDIGENOUS GOVERNANCE AND MINING

BC Mining Law Reform endorses the concept of free, prior, and informed consent from the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. The network recommends implementation of free, prior, and informed consent of affected Indigenous communities for all mineral tenure, mining exploration, siting, and other activities, and further recommends establishing government-to-government processes for all stages of the mining, including prior to the environmental assessment stage. The new BC Environmental Assessment Act does not include processes that implement free, prior and informed consent as a veto right on the part of Indigenous groups, but rather incorporates a range of consensus-based and dispute resolution mechanisms into the assessment process, to allow for increased input and participation by Indigenous groups.

Offline ykplacer

• Kudos: 25

-----------------
While other jurisdictions like Quebec and Alaska require mines to post full remediation costs as a condition of approval, B.C. rules allow environmental liabilities from mining projects — which are often on Indigenous lands — to fall to the taxpayer
Judith Lavoie
Nov 8, 2019 6 min read

The First Nations Energy and Mining Council has added its voice to increasingly insistent calls for B.C. to toughen up mining rules and make polluters pay.

A newly released study, conducted for the council, recommends the province change rules to ensure mining companies post sufficient funds up-front to pay for cleanup and remediation of mining sites
and the report recommends that, if the government will not act, First Nations should do it for them.

“If the British Columbia provincial government does not implement the … recommendations, Indigenous nations should require in-full and up-front financial assurance as a condition of their consent to mining projects,” the study says.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 138
A great concept.But there are times when we have to face facts and political correctness just dont cut it. FINANCIAL ASSURANCE seems too be the key words here.We have had alot of big time actors over the years that have hurt us all. and still are.Not just mining ,Logging as well.Small time guys tend to play by the rules and keep things clean.I have worked and lived all over this province.And have flowen over many reserves.All the wrecked vehicles and garbage are simply dumped in the nearest water shed,Protectors of the enviroment? I think not.Cleaness starts at home.Will FINANCIAL ASSURANCE make it better,i think not.Just my thoughts Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline garth64

• Kudos: 7
Hope they figure it out, I wanted to try my hand at getting me some made next year, I still might take a trip up there next summer.

Offline Lanny

• Kudos: 2
Yea ditto that question.Canada as I know it was a country.It is now devided by over 50000. FN nations claiming self goverment and territorial rights.What kind of country is that?   Doomed to die.Just my thoughts.Mcbain.

Worrisome development . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Gear Pan
Gold Rat