collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 168 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13051
  • stats Total Posts: 131619
  • stats Total Topics: 18398
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: How deep is too Deep on the North Saskatchewan River?  (Read 418 times)

Offline Don

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 0
How deep is too Deep on the North Saskatchewan River?
« on: December 29, 2019, 08:19:51 PM »
I have been doing quite a bit of reading and it seems that in areas where gold is found in gravels.  Settles until if reaches bedrock , a clay layer or something else impenetrable.  For the most part it seems that the deeper you dig the better the gold gets? I was wondering if this holds true on the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton.  The gold found here is Flour Gold.  Does the small size of the gold keep it from settling any deeper than say 3 feet or does it Keep Going?

<-dont~know->

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 84
Re: How deep is too Deep on the North Saskatchewan River?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
Say Don, what would you do if I said .........

On the XYZ River not far from you all the top Gold is all small - but the really big Gold is all the way down to bedrock?

Well, of course, you would test each layer there for just what and how much was in that layer - all the way to bedrock (or as deep as would be practical).

The only way to KNOW what is underground is to test as deeply as you are willing to go.  Float, Flower, Dust, Spider Droppings or Fly Poop sized Gold (it depends on your favorite term) is easily flushed around by high water floods each and every year.  And yes, often that is the only Gold in a certain stream ----- but ----- if there is large sized Gold (especially in large quantities) deeper then it certainly IS worth you doing some testing all the way down to the (real or effective) lowest limits.

As an example - In Alaska I know of a specific location under an ancient, now dry, lake where I am 95% certain there are large sized and substantial quantities of Gold.  (That is using my standards, now - so don't get all excited over my choice of words.  <-laugh->). 

It has small sized Gold sprinkled all throughout the overburden but that deep Gold is just way too expensive to mine economically.  So, why haven't I actually found a way to go for it by now?  ???  ???    Simple, the overburden (the old lake bed) is 50 meters deep!

So, while "Everyone Says" that only small Gold is there in the XYZ river, until you know, for sure, then it is still just waiting to be confirmed.

All the best!   <-yahoo_>

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 18
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 12:20:08 PM »
Not sure about the North Sask river, but in my experience sometimes the best flour gold is in the first 6 inches (20 cm) of material (in some spots on the Coquihalla River in BC).

I have also found pickers both deep down and close to the surface in other locations - sometimes gold distribution is more random than we think.

In general, of course, the bigger the gold the more it will want to burrow its way down as close as possible to bedrock, clay or even super compacted cobbles (that act like bedrock).

As Joe said - the only way to know for sure is to systematically test the various layers of material and get to know it inside out.

-Xplore
North Vancouver, BC

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »
Hi.Another little tid bit.Alot of folks think that if a area has already been worked hard in the past that they are wasting their time.Wrong,in most cases the river is cutting deeper and exposing new ground making it easier to get down deeper.Sometimes takes several years for those areas to build back up again if ever.I love to sit on the river bank in high water and listen to those boulders getting washed away.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 84
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »
McBain,

To follow up on that thought .......,

"The Old Timers" were targeting getting as much weight in Gold as possible, in the very least time.  That meant that any 'left over' time after they were finished with one set-up could be used to recover more Gold in the next, and so forth and so forth.  They simply targeted the larger sizes of Gold because they were working virgin ground - as much as, and sometimes more than, their equipment could handle.

The "cost" of running through pay that quickly in recovering the largest (and heaviest) pieces was to loose substantial amounts of the very small sizes of Gold.  Even as late as when I started panning (the mid 60s) the old thinking from the old guys was that the small Gold was too light and hard to bother with.  The largest pieces were hand picked out of the pans and the smaller Gold sizes were just thrown back into the stream.   <-hypnotized-> Catch and Release!    <~ShOcK~> <~ShOcK~>    Old Ways of Thinking were hard to overcome.   <-d'oh->

Now, with the newer equipment, designed to retain and then recover the very small Gold, we are often (depending on location, of course) re-capturing those small pieces of Gold and effectively retaining them.

So, yes bank erosion does put more Gold into the streams - to accompany those earlier 'released' bits of "worthless" sizes along with just flat-out lost "stuff".   <-unsure_>

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline deadwood

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Wells BC
  • Kudos: 37
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 12:06:04 PM »
NSR is very very deep.As in you will never find true bedrock.Gold is found in this river system top 6" in around  softball size rocks.Also a type of hardpan like found at 99 st spot is very good with approx 300 colors to pan.Gennesee area can be good as well 300 plus colors are found in this area.To the right of boat launch along bank colors can be found with easy access,but across river right at bridge,"steep incline down bank" there is some hardpan that always produces.Must be at low water.Dam that produces power raises and drops NSR so time your visits accordingly.We used to get flooded out at my fav spot due to folks getting home from work and power use spiking.And don't believe the old story that all NSR river is flour yes most is but hit enough spots and you might find occasional larger gold.The Prospectors Point spot at Devon is great for starting out easy access and gold all along the shoreline.Best is a long walk to the right at the point.You know you are at the right spot by the old firepit.
Good luck use a classifier and pan,
DeadWood

Offline TBark

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 05:03:47 AM »
I found the best gold in that river was after the seasons high water recedes.
The gold washes out of the banks soils (as the gravels are limited) and is accessible with little effort.
Erosion happens continually, let it do the work for you.

TBark

Offline garth64

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 07:29:05 PM »
I was with my uncle one time on the ns by Devon bridge in a boat, I think there was a powerline  going over the river just up from thebridge, there was a hardpan Mandy it was sandstone , not sure but there was 2inch cracks in it .I always wanted too go back and investigate further

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 40
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »
Hi.Another little tid bit.Alot of folks think that if a area has already been worked hard in the past that they are wasting their time.Wrong,in most cases the river is cutting deeper and exposing new ground making it easier to get down deeper.Sometimes takes several years for those areas to build back up again if ever.I love to sit on the river bank in high water and listen to those boulders getting washed away.Luck,Mcbain.
Another way to look at this - - is the old timers concentrated their efforts on pay streaks in obvious locations.  They tested the marginal areas but moved onto more economic/productive spots.  Since that time, there have been 100 year floods - - the kind of water volume whereby rocks the size of cars are pushed downstream.  If you stand on the bedrock nearby when this is happening, it actually shakes (FYI - during this action hairline cracks open and close and gobble up passing gold).  This is the kind of water that will also pick up gold of all sizes from marginal areas and move it.  This same gold will tend to concentrate in the same places that the oldtimers found their paystreaks.  Bottom line - in spring floods, the small gold can be moved and concentrated elsewhere.  However, in the major floods, the whole river bottom moves and gold from marginal spots is concentrated into the prime spots for the same reason it accumulated there eons ago. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline the gold guy

• Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
I think NS river is were its at.  <-laugh-> lol!!!@* <_miner_> lets go!!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat