collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50

Dot Guests: 202 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12975
  • stats Total Posts: 130229
  • stats Total Topics: 18220
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Cougar encounter on Vancouver Island  (Read 268 times)

Offline tcgofyyc

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 7
Cougar encounter on Vancouver Island
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »
Hi all, been a while since I've been on the forum but had a rather 'pucker up' incident the other weekend. Was panning on my fav creek last Sunday. Nice sunny day, good colors in the pan,. Was out near the middle of the creek with just a pan of dirt near some large rocks and heard a 'snap' in the bushes across the creek on the other side about 30m away, thought 'that's weird as I never hear anything from that side of the creek. As I'm looking where the noise came from I catch in the corner of my eye something move about 40m away a little up stream from where I am panning. Out of the bush comes this big cat, walking along a downed tree that's laying parallel to the creek. I froze. I did not move a muscle, only my eyes. I still had the pan in my hands but did not put it down or even move it the entire time. The next thing I know there's another big cat joining the first one but this one looked younger with less dark patches on it's face. This one did not seems too interested on what was going on at the creek but the first big cat was looking up and down the creek. There was one small branch with a few leaves on it that was blocking the first cougar's line of site to where I was and like I said I was frozen. I was thinking the only way this going to turn out ok is if they do not see me to start with so I remained absolutely still and only moved my eyes to watch them. I was thinking "I need a pic of this!" but survival mode took over stupid mode as my camera (phone) was no where near and I was NOT moving unless the cats noticed me first then I'd attempt the stand up and look large thing. Then just as the second cat started wandering up another downed tree back into the woods, the first one did notice me and did the head bob trying to look around the branch that was blocking his view of me. Fortunately he took no interest in me and followed the second cougar back into the woods. I could still see them a few yards back in the woods just sitting there so did not move still for another 5 minutes or so. I then left the area as quietly as I could and hiked back to my truck. Happy ending for all concerned.

Offline PrinceGeorgeGoldGuy

• Kudos: 0
Re: Cougar encounter on Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »
Yep.... That I believe is the definition of "Pucker Up Moment"..... glad it turned out well tho

Offline Xplore

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
Hopefully you had at least some bear spray with you plus knowledge of how to use it in case the situation escalated.

Glad to hear you escaped without any issues.

Thanks for sharing!
North Vancouver, BC

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 132
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:35:19 PM »
Hi.Glad it turned out well.Get yourselve a sports air horn and give a short blast every now and again.Keep it on your person.Even a good shrill whistle will help.Cats have very sensitive hearing and hateHigh pitched noise.These cats were not stalking you if they were they would have come from behind.I hate cats,Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline tcgofyyc

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 09:04:30 PM »
Hi Guys. I do always carry bear spray and air horn with me but the pack they were in was 5m away and I did not think I had time to get there before the cats if they so chose. Rather than face a possible confrontation I thought I should first try not to be noticed then if that didn't work, make like big as possible and slowly back away towards the pack to get the bearspray but thankfully going stealth worked.
thanks
TCG

Offline mike(swWash)

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
For me, it would have been the exact opposite of a pucker moment....a full uncontrolled release moment  :o

Offline johnedoe

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
Me?..... I carry. Nice stainless 357........ But I guess you guys north of here don't have the handgun option.
Wouldn't need the 44 around there.
I agree though... There is a definite pucker factor.......