collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

liquidsteel

Dot Guests: 161 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12879
  • stats Total Posts: 128702
  • stats Total Topics: 18024
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: No Such Thing As Failure  (Read 500 times)

Offline Davidloc

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 1
Re: No Such Thing As Failure
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 04:58:33 PM »
Would 1 gram per 50 buckets be more realistic ?

Offline Davidloc

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 07:43:15 PM »
Hi.David you are out to lunch and do not listen to any replys.Nobody on here can guess your gold if you have any.You might have zero in a bucket howe does one reply to that.Listen up to the advice you get and tell us what youfind.We can not find your gold for you.time ed out .Luck Mcbain.

I was reading the replies , 10 specks in a pan was your advice and I was asking if that translates into about a gram per 20 buckets and I was way off apparently.  Then I had asked if 50 buckets per gram would be more reasonable. I am not asking anyone to predict anything just what would be their starting guide to setting up the sluice once the samples show what may be expected in the section being worked.

Offline Lanny

• Province/State: Alberta
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 08:30:40 AM »
I have seen guys with excavators and wash plants who somehow missed that step.  For some reason, never saw them the next season. ..

The three rules of prospecting, 1. Test, 2. Test, 3. Test (sample, sample, sample) really are ignored by far too many, and a lot of money is wasted by assuming that if in a gold-bearing area, doing a giant test with machinery is the way to go. However,  disaster could have been avoided by simply sampling beforehand on a smaller scale. (When glaciers are involved, the gold might run heavy in one specific spot, and in close proximity, there may be a large section of barren ground.)

I've made this mistake myself, so I know how easy it is to do (to tear into gold-bearing ground with equipment without doing an adequate sampling program. On the other hand, I have also have done the necessary testing and had fantastic results precisely because I followed the three rules of prospecting: testing/sampling. Moreover, I don't think I've had bad results after a concise sampling program showed the gold was there . . . Yes, the gold runs out (a robber glacier came along in antiquity and tore out the gold-bearing channel right down to bedrock, etc., etc.), but the gold recovered from the sampled dirt held true.

All the best, and please excuse me if I've jumped in and sent this thread a bit sideways,

Lanny

Offline Lanny

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 07:55:09 AM »
Yes, 1/4 gram to the 20-litre pail is great dirt, but pretty hard to find unless you're lucky enough to be on some great ground.

The last time I set up a high-banker (sluice with a header box powered by a water pump), I was getting 5-10 good flakes to the pan, and the dirt there was great dirt. We did very well, but where we're chasing the gold, dirt like that is hard to find indeed.

As for smaller pieces (5-10 to the pan), if you're getting that kind of a result, and if you're going to run a bulk sample  to concentrate in a hurry, to see how well the dirt in that spot is really running, you've been given good advice.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline Davidloc

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 09:25:28 AM »
Thank you Lanny ,

We are stilled locked in the grossness that is winter in Ontario but next week looks like the season may be opening up finally. I am working on a high banker feeding box for the sluice now so that I can process 50-60 buckets per hour. The hardest part is getting the classifier sections tuned and reducing the water flow as it hits the different sections. So far trimming the water off the top of the water seems to be working if I place it above two section of Goldhogs UR mats so that it doesn't throw the gold up into the water that is being removed. Only field testing will tell if I am in the right ballpark but for now it's building time :)

Offline Lanny

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 09:10:17 PM »
Testing is a critical part of the process (never-ending, actually), so I hope you get your outfit running properly before the season starts, and good luck with your adventure out there chasing the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 32
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
A few things worthwhile to consider are size/quantity of gold in your sample, sample size, overburden and effectiveness of chosen equipment.  This will help with the math about a specific paystreak.
(1) When you take a sample, the size of the gold recovered really matters on calculating the recoverable gold in your paystreak.  eg. colours vs flax seed gold vary by a factor of 100 or more.  This is where the saying "two cents looks like a million dollars" comes into play.  Also, depending on your sample, you may have to exclude a freak nugget, to avoid the "nugget effect" in your calculation, if similar gold cannot be repeated.  Quantity is how many of each size of gold in your sample(s). 
(2) If you are sampling using a pan or bucket, you need to know how much dirt is being sampled.  Is it pre-classified ?  Pans are different sizes.  Is it half full, 2/3 full or stuffed to overflowing?
(3) what wasted material do you have to move to get at the paystreak that you sampled?  Are there huge rocks in the way that have to be moved?
(4) Once you have proven your paystreak by sampling (multiple samples), you can custom your recovery process to go into production.  Not all gold is recovered by any efficient method, even if you have have "things dialed in".   
How much gold is worthwhile to "go into production" differs by the individual.  However, anybody that has not done the sampling and math is fooling themselves. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Gear Pan
Gold Rat