collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 126 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13067
  • stats Total Posts: 131900
  • stats Total Topics: 18427
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Blood Quartz lol!  (Read 1180 times)

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: B.C.
  • Kudos: 21
  • Tip Of The $pear
Blood Quartz lol!
« on: March 08, 2019, 06:45:04 PM »
Never seen quartz like this <~ShOcK~>.I like it! <-good_> Tryin to figure out whats in it <-thinking-> ?20190308175427.jpg20190308175816.jpg20190308182139.jpg

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 146
Re: Blood Quartz lol!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
Hi .I did a simple google search.Titanium,Iron,and maganese are the main ingredients of red quartz.There are several other minerals that can cause the red.Lots of info on google.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Tip Of The $pear
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:00:10 PM »
reddish colors, which are caused by a uniform coating of particulate hematite [iron oxide, Fe2O3].  Red quartz is similar to tangerine quartz, but its coating consists of a more finely divided, particulate hematite that produces a deeper red color. My only guess so far is the Hematite connection,our hematite on Vancouver island sings red. <-thinking-> This stuff looks far nicer then these mag pics generate.

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 05:50:49 AM »
My crystallography doesn't extend much  beyond needing  the spell checker to get it right - but are you sure that is quartz?

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Tip Of The $pear
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 07:52:02 AM »
Well I'm feeling foolish now lol!!!@* <-laugh-> I never did the 10% acid test which I usaully do,I assumed it(wrong <~ShOcK~>) to be quartz. Although I just put some 10% acid on it and it,surprisingly it did not fizz <-thinking->?  Last remenant of a old bottle I had in my truck(questioning its quality <-thinking->)  Googling Red Calcite    https://tinyurl.com/yycvxxhk                                                                   
is yeilding pics that appear much closer to what I have.And if so, it is rare and a good Lipidary find. <-thinking->  Again Assuming is wrong and I know that [^Crazy!#],Sratch,sniff,checkwith 10% .  Thanx jobinyt for lighting the light bulb <-laugh->     

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 11:08:51 AM »
" it did not fizz"   If calcite - and if acid - fizz expected. Quartz wouldn't fizz but other things too.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 85
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »
Could be a little  red Jasper mixed in -     <-dont~know->

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=jasper+stone

I tend to go with simplistic answers - it doesn't hurt my head so much.    <~ShOcK~>

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 40
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 07:30:26 AM »
My first guess is hematite on quartz.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 85
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »
The BLACK could be Hematite or Magnetite but the  RED isn't.  If the Iron ores break down (Oxidizes) they come out a BLACK / BROWN/RED color which is very distinct from the purely RED color on the quartz here.

Ancient, Oxidized Hematite or Magnetite is a common occurrence in the areas in Alaska where I mine and samples of those are very distinctive in color.  In larger quantities it is often an indicator for substantial Gold recovery potential in that region as well.

Really  {cool^sign} sample you have there.

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Tip Of The $pear
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »
Thanx for the input! Im looking into a few possiblities.I had some 10 %vinegar  and dropped some on and could see a very weak small reaction in one small area. I mentioned I did put 10% Hydrochloric from an old bottle I had  and there was nothing.  It leads me to think yes quartz,but possible tiny mix of Calcite more then likely . The quart in this rock is 98% white quartz with small areas of clear crystals  with in it . The red/pink color in the quartz ,for me the jury is still out. In the area of my claim within Sicker Volcanics,we have Red Hemetite here on our iland,also Jasper ,and Cinnabar which I 'am looking into as well.I have found only small amounts of this quartz  but am hoping there is more on my claim.   Confusing though, is some pics of the red calcite come very close.But we all know that good calcite fizz's like coke .This does not,=quartz connection <-thinking->   
 Its awefull Purdy! [ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]   Now im getting into the lapidary hobby ,like to see it this can be made into something unique <-idea->      [ Invalid Attachment ]