collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 182 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12981
  • stats Total Posts: 130388
  • stats Total Topics: 18244
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: it runs in the blood  (Read 226 times)

Offline buckshotbob

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
it runs in the blood
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »
My 7 year old grand daughter loves rocks. Always looking at the ground and showing me what she found. I decided it was time to take her on a field trip to cobalt for a little rock hounding. Since I have never been there I wasn,t sure what we would find. Found a couple of open adits and a few with the chains cut off the gates. I don,t like wondering on someone elses claim without permission so we stayed clear but I seen tons of sign others don,t respect claim rites. We found a couple of old dumps with a little bit of pink rock for her but not much in the way of cobalt or silver.   

After two days we hit the main beach in northbay and with her new diving mask and my underwater metal detector our first find was a 14 k emerald ring that looks like a pendant was reused in a ring for a girl. It fit her finger like it was custom made. Needless to say she was a happy kid.

Even thou our rock hunting wasn,t the greatest we still came out with some gold and a cool stone and best of all time spent with pappy in the bush.

p.s. Modern day parents with an ipad for a babysitter ain,t got nothing on this old guy.

Offline poncho

• Happy Trails
  • Province/State: chase bc
  • Kudos: 14
Re: it runs in the blood
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:58:09 PM »
buckshotbob nice story to hear about rockhounding and metal detecting with your finds Thanks
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 38
Re: it runs in the blood
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
The reason for the fences in Cobalt is hazzards.  There are some big holes to avoid.  I don't go behind the fences as I worry about my dog (who is always with me).  There is still silver to be found, but a detector helps.  PM me if you decide to give it another go and I will try to give some directions.    That said, finding a piece of jewelry is that fits is outstanding.  I was always told to try the North Bay beaches, but am always in a rush to get to my destination further north.   Congrats on an great memory.  I am with my daughter for a couple of weeks soon.  Our first prospecting trip was when she was 9 and now she is 16.  She is super excited, which I really appreciate. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA