collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Woodspiritbeav

Dot Guests: 138 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Newbee Placer miner & Highbanker design  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Golden ticket

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
Newbee Placer miner & Highbanker design
« on: February 25, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »
Hi Everyone! I just got my FML for the first time and acquired a claim on the Fraser river by Spuzzum. I am so excited as I have been panning on and off my whole life and have decided to get serious about it since my kids want to do it and it gives me an excuse to get out camping. I am a Mechanical designer by occupation so I am designing a 10" x 48" highbanker used with a 1.5" pump. I am designing it so I can pack it in with a game back pack I picked up for a moose hunt. I am getting close and will build it soon. So far it weighs 22.5 lbs but I think I can shave some weight off it after running an FEA. A few questions: How long should the grizzly bars be? I am using 3/8" gap between them. Is this optimal? What angle should the sluice and Hopper be at?  I will be making this adjustable with the support arm and adjustable legs. I am using some Ideas from Dan Hurds You Tube video such as his water delivery system which seems to make a lot of sense. He sprays up from the bottom and has a constant flow from the top. I think I will be building 2 and selling one to fund my pump, Let me know if anyone is interested. I am thinking about $400.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 132
Re: Newbee Placer miner & Highbanker design
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 06:41:19 PM »
Hi.Welcome to the site.Takes 2 posts to become a member.You got a nice design,but for back packing you can lighten it uo quite a bit more.Stay tuned.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Golden ticket

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »
Ok, I will think of my next post! I know I can take at least 2 lbs off. I wanted to make to tough enough for throwing shovels of rocks on! The hopper and sluice are 16 Ga alum so I wanted to transfer the load directly to the legs by tying the pivot points to them.

Offline Golden ticket

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:34:30 PM »
This is the link to Dan Hurds Highbanker build video where I learned a lot about the functions about a highbanker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0NyCDNkWyQ

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 132
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 07:54:50 PM »
 ;DYou already made your second post.Great.Your design will handle any thing you put to it.But lets talk  matting.What are you going to use for collection mats.?Miners moss or vortex such as gold hog there are several different brands.the point being the better the mat the less you need.What I am getting at is if you use the best you can cut your box size back to 3 ft thus taking off a foot of useless  metal.A good recovery system will get 98% of your gold in the first 2 feet.A longer box with poor collection material will get  some gold at 4 ft.But why if you are back packing.Just a thought .Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Golden ticket

Online beav

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: NS
  • Kudos: 10
  • Keep yer pan wet, and Butt dry!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 04:37:30 AM »
Hey mcbain! You said you use 34 " of Gold Hog mats and don't lose gold. Which mats do you use specifically in that 34"? Motherlode, UR, Bedrock, Talon, Scrubber, RiverHog, Downdraft, Yukon, RazorBack?? Which ones of these do you use in your 34" section, and in what order? If you don't mind offering that info.
Thanks
Beav

Online beav

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 05:17:18 AM »
Hey mcbain.

Thanks very much for taking the time for the added story and greater detail of explaining it all. Sounds like you have it dialed-in quite well now
even with the higher GPM pump. Really appreciate the FULL explanation of the specific mats you used.
Happy diggin'!
Beav

Online beav

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
Well said Mcbain! Agree 100%. Thanks for the tips on the GH mats.
Beav

Offline Golden ticket

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 08:42:30 PM »
I am well on my way to completing my high banker! I have finished the crash box and grizzly and the adjustable legs. This week I am getting the hopper and sluice formed at work and also a few odds and ends and I should be ready to get out next weekend! I have decided to go with an electric 3700 GPH bilge pump and a 8 in instead of 10. I like the idea of a silent operation and I can hear the kids better! The sluice will be 42"  instead of 48". My total weight is about 18 lbs. Perfect for back packing in. The battery won't be fun back packing in but I have a game pack frame and a game cart for that.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat