collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mcbain

Dot Guests: 189 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12958
  • stats Total Posts: 129953
  • stats Total Topics: 18176
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: You Tubers  (Read 1353 times)

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 71
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
Re: You Tubers
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »
I guess first and foremost point here is to say that the CGPF does have sponsors, who pay a fee (I have nothing to do with that sort of stuff so I don't know specifics).  Having  payed that fee, the new sponsor has (other than bragging rights) their logo on the left under "Advertisers".  They also have the added  privilege of presenting their websites and products, if they wish, to everyone here as a commercial vendor.   

An additional point is that any member may, as an individual, offer their personal property for sale to the general membership.  The usually and preferred place to do that is in the "Miners' Mall Classified" sub-forum.   http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?board=24.0   

So far that's pretty HooHum stuff, right?   [&whistle#]

Lastly comes the (usually) brand new members who immediately start advertising their who-knows-what products for sale. You all must have seen that form of SPAM somewhere in the past. 

We-don't-tolerate-that-here, Period! 

So there you go -

1.  Offerings of commercial sales allowed by sponsors only.

2.  Individual, personal sales by any member.

3.  Someone who sneaks in just to SPAM the forum are out-the-door, forever.

Lets address that "Links to Utube" situation now.   

Other than a link to a commercial site it certainly is allowed.  If I choose to click on a link and leave CGPF to watch a video by ("  Helooooo Daaaan!"  ) someone like Dan Hurd by clicking on a utube link from a post of his then that is MY choice and responsibility.  I happen to feel that links to excellent, relevant videos by folks like Dan are a REAL asset here, and we're lucky to have the ability to draw and be able to share them.

In choosing to go to Utube from CGPF I remove myself from any involvement here - and - if I subscribe, sponsor, like, dislike, comment or do anything else there it has nothing at all to do with CGPF.  All of that is strictly between the viewer (like me) and the video presenter ( Helooooo Daaaan!). 

Any arrangements that someone like (for example) Dan makes with Utube are 100% removed from the CGPF and I can't see why anyone would feel that we need to discuss those sorts of unrelated things here. 

So, have I stirred up some heartburn or have I just made sense?   <-dont~know->

Joe

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline tonofsteel

• Province/State: SK
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 05:21:22 PM »
There is a difference between personal Youtube posting and Youtube as a marketing tactic.  While it may not be as obnoxious as a direct link to a commercial product, Youtube videos can be used as part of a marketing strategy with affiliate links, product promotions, direct and indirect links to the publishers products and services.

The thing that gets me is not about Youtubers or the monetization.  It is if you post a direct link to a product or service this is bad but if you create a Youtube video and use some clever marketeering to accomplish the same it is OK.

If you are using your posts on the forum to ultimately drive a sales funnel for business interests I don't see the difference between a direct link, instagram post, Youtube video, free ebook, VHS tape, promotional pens, marketing giveaways etc.  Whoever is using the forum for sales and marketing should be bound by the same rules is what I would have thought.

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 08:05:36 PM »
Hi.Guys Ihave to agree with Joe and several others.Nothing wrong with posting your you tube site.you leave the forum and go to youtube.Now if you were to make a post asking for money paterons support and keeping  it inside the forum that would be wrong.Example.Mcbain makes a post asking for donations so Mcbain can keep posting and pay his internet bill.If you liked Mcbain you might make a donation.but that would be totally wrong because Mcbain is trying to solicit monies from the forum members.And then Mcbain takes it a step farther and tries to sell his panning techniuge to unsupecting members for a profit using the forum.You all get the point.So far nobody has tried to do this that i know of.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline tonofsteel

• Province/State: SK
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 09:17:06 AM »
I stand corrected.  In the eyes of the powers that be it is all fair game as Joe outlined.

Youtube On!

Offline graeme1955

• Province/State: chilliwack bc
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »
I could not agree with you more Tonofsteel, well said, I watched Doc before I knew he owned Gold Hog, and I am still impressed with his videos, from an educational view I think they are excellent. I do not use or promote his product, but he does do a great job to back up his product, and also a great sponsor for this site, I do think he offers a good product, and if I was inclined to purchase products for myself, I might choose his just for the information and science he has shown in his videos. 

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
I have a small Youtube channel.  I enjoy taking viewers along on my adventures and projects.  My videos have an ad at the beginning.   One of my videos had 1.3M views and it didn't result in very much ad revenue.  On the other hand, many of my videos have less than 2K views.  Very few people on Youtube are getting rich.  It is a risky venture because income is not guaranteed.  I do it for fun.  When it is no longer fun, I will stop making videos and delete the channel. 

Heck, I would do it full time if i could.  I respect those who have made it a career and I can tell you they need multiple income streams to survive.  Merch is a big one and probably the most dependable.  You never know when Youtube is going to make a change that negatively affects your channel.  Other sites like Patreon can also shut you down on their platform  in an instant.  For example, wear a MAGA hat and see how long you last these days.

I am glad that the rules on this site regarding posting were clarified.  It never occured to me that someone would be upset to learn there was a new prospecting video posted.  I love watching Youtube and find some of the most interesting videos and creators from posts on this and other forums.  That is how I found D'Arcy years ago.  You sure cannot trust the Youtube and Google to recommend prospecting content, even when subscribed.  Instead, they seem to promote trending viral videos, late night talk shows and mainstream media content.

Greig

See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Langley BC
  • Kudos: 25
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
Sorry guys I did not want to open a hornets nest, and as I said in my first post this is not aimed at anyone person on this forum .

What I was indicating was that I do not support solicitation of funds from tubers. I too have learned a lot from the knowledge of others. by watching their videos.

I am sure it is time consuming and  expensive to make them but that's their choice whether it is their hobby or living. Just don't ask for money to support it.

My hobby is gold panning I don't ask for your help to put gas in my car so I can go more often.

Just my opinio.

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »
Well said Ron.But as Joe has indicated once you click on the youtube link you have left GPEX and it is another realm.Yes some are using the forum as a door and for most of us that seems to be wrong.But that is the way it is.I am sure that if Admin gave a hoot he would do something about it.Just saying,Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 11
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 06:58:11 AM »
Sorry guys I did not want to open a hornets nest, and as I said in my first post this is not aimed at anyone person on this forum .

What I was indicating was that I do not support solicitation of funds from tubers. I too have learned a lot from the knowledge of others. by watching their videos.

I am sure it is time consuming and  expensive to make them but that's their choice whether it is their hobby or living. Just don't ask for money to support it.

My hobby is gold panning I don't ask for your help to put gas in my car so I can go more often.

Just my opinio.

I've never asked for money, but there's a big difference between asking for money to support your prospecting, and asking for money to support the making of videos the person enjoys. Not only that, but why do you care what somebody else does? How does someone's asking impact you?  IMHO, the best policy, for me,  is to let people alone unless what they're doing is costing me time, money, etc.
Jim

Offline Youtuber Dan

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Peachlaqnd, B.C.
  • Kudos: 37
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 04:17:21 PM »
Hellooo Everyone!  Just noticed this topic.  Interesting conversation.  It got me thinking, so I went over to YouTube analytics to have a look.  In the last 3 months I have had 485 views from this forum.  Considering I make less than 0.35 cents per view. That has me making 57 cents per month from posting to this forum.  And that is assuming those people would not watch my video anyways.  I don't post here to make money.  I post here to try and contribute to this community.

Gear Pan