collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

pascalfortiermike(swWash)

Dot Guests: 153 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12921
  • stats Total Posts: 129596
  • stats Total Topics: 18117
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Hello everyone. New member here. I'm not too sure how this works  (Read 549 times)

Offline compucajun

• Province/State: LA
  • Kudos: 2
Hello everyone. New member here. I'm not too sure how this works
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
This may not be the appropriate forum for me.

My husband and I will be visiting NS this summer, and we'd like to do some gold panning.  We are just hobbyists, not hardcore gold miners.  We just have fun being out in nature and panning for gold.  I also like collecting rocks, minerals, crystals.

Does anyone have any suggestions where we can pan in NS?  All we have is classifiers and pans, just some simple panning and collecting.

Thanks in advance,
compucajun, aka Janet

PS - We were in NS for a couple of days last summer.  We love your beautiful part of the world.  Everyone was so kind and we had lots of fun.   We are spending our entire vacation in NS this year.

Offline Youtuber Dan

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Peachlaqnd, B.C.
  • Kudos: 37
Re: Hello everyone. New member here. I'm not too sure how this works
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  Sorry I can not help much with NS.  You will find many on this forum are from the west coast.  Hopefully someone here can give you some direction.  One suggestion I do have is to look for local placer clubs in the area you are going.  If there is a club close by, they will most likely be very happy to give you a hand.

Again, welcome.

Dan

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 69
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »

Welcome Janet!

To expand on Dan's thought, if you can find a local mining supply business in that part of NS where you will be visiting they might share some leads as to good contacts (or even secret good spots to pan for a day).  Clubs, other miners, suppliers and such all know one another with, at times, lifetime or multi generational friendships.

Do your best to wade in there and find those good leads.   <-party->

Best of luck in networking.   [-1st-]

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 123
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
Hi.I will let this slide/  I do believe Dan meant EAST coast :) :) :) :) :).Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Youtuber Dan

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Peachlaqnd, B.C.
  • Kudos: 37
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:40:57 PM »
oops, I see how what I said could be mist understood.  I was trying to imply she might have a harder time finding someone from the east coast because so many of us are from the west coast.  BC has a very large representation here on the Forum, I hope you can find someone in the know from NS.

Dan

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 123
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 10:01:57 PM »
Hi.Welcome to the site.But it does take 2 posts to become a member.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline ykplacer

• Kudos: 24
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 11:08:40 PM »
This may not be the appropriate forum for me.

My husband and I will be visiting NS this summer, and we'd like to do some gold panning.  We are just hobbyists, not hardcore gold miners.  We just have fun being out in nature and panning for gold.  I also like collecting rocks, minerals, crystals.

Does anyone have any suggestions where we can pan in NS?  All we have is classifiers and pans, just some simple panning and collecting.

Thanks in advance,
compucajun, aka Janet

PS - We were in NS for a couple of days last summer.  We love your beautiful part of the world.  Everyone was so kind and we had lots of fun.   We are spending our entire vacation in NS this year.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Cunard's+Beach+gold/@44.3196802,-64.2574883,378m/data=!3m1!1e3

Offline beav

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: NS
  • Kudos: 9
  • Keep yer pan wet, and Butt dry!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 04:05:17 AM »
Well, I'm from NS...maybe I can help a bit.
Nova Scotia is not known for it's placer gold areas as much as it is it's hard rock gold areas, since the glaciers scoured the Province 3 times...Took most of the placers off shore!
However, there are a few places where one can pan recreationally .
YKplacer posted a link to a place where you can pan gold easily. It's a pay-to-pan site but right on the ocean beach. It's called the Oven's Park. I think it used to cost $10 bucks to pan for the day, so not sure what it is now.
I'm not sure what area you will be visiting so I can't suggest many others as the Province is currently undergoing a bit of a mini-staking rush right now. That means all (most) of the good gold areas are staked by prospectors/miners/companies and are off-limits to people unless you can get permission to pan on their claims. Being a visitor that can be a challenge if you are only here for a week or two, so most visitors just go to the pay-to-pan places.
 I can suggest a fellow who owns one of (if not the ONLY) prospecting supply business here, who has claims on the Gold River that he takes visitors out to pan on. Not sure what he charges. I probably can't give a direct link to his site here on the forum (??) due to posting rules but if you search for Scotia Prospecting Supplies on google, you will see his FaceBook page and also a link to his web site further down the list. George is his name. He may know of other areas where you can go panning as well.

If you are into rockhounding and mineral collecting, you will find not much better place to do that, than right here!
Here are some suggestions for that:
Rockhounding: Scotts Bay, NS (you can find Agate, Jasper, and Amethyst here on the gravel beach) it's free but watch out for the TIDES!
Fossils: Fundy Geological Museum - https://fundygeological.novascotia.ca/    They have great displays and can show/direct you to Joggins Cliffs where there are great fossils of Dinosaurs!

Hopefully that gave you a couple of options. Thare are many, many other places for rockhounding too but you have to ask around.

Trust you will enjoy yourselves here and find a a few treasures too!

Beav(NS)

Offline compucajun

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:20:46 AM »
Thank you for the information.  I will definitely take your advice.  Even if we find no color, we will have a great time.  I love NS and can't wait to return!  Thanks again,
Janet

Offline compucajun

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:35:20 AM »
Thanks, everyone for the response.  I really appreciate it!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat