collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 198 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130190
  • stats Total Topics: 18213
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: New core drill from stihl  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Norbert77

• Kudos: 5
New core drill from stihl
« on: February 04, 2019, 02:28:06 PM »
Just saw the ad, didnt see the product in person yet but it is about 1200 bucks ready to drill. Looks lightweight

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 132
Re: New core drill from stihl
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »
Hi.Norbert.I hate to burst your bubble.But these are not what you are looking for.Reason I know is because i sell them.I am a stihl master tech and work on these things daily.The BT 45 is the cheapest weed wacker motor.It will drill a hole threw a 12x12 timber. but thats about it.The BT 131 is a better  more  commercial engine but is still only designed to drill fence post holes.Way to small for what you need.Example is the engine is the same one used on larger weed wackers.It does have a great gear reduction box but try any thing more than a 5ft. hole something is going to break and you are out 1200.00.Just saying.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Norbert77

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
Yeah, I knew it was too good to be true. The Shaw backpack has a 27cc 2 stroke, what are these?

Offline Hardpan82

• Province/State: BC
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 05:50:47 PM »
There's no way to get around using the proper tools for the job. You are only going to end up wasting more money and time only to get frusterated.  The Shaw drill isn't a proper tool either. Its a cool idea but in a real working environment it doesnt hold up. Gold propsecting isn't a cheap endeavor by any means and there really isnt anyway around it. There is a reason why people want to option their properties out, because it's always better to let someone else to pay for exploration. That being said without good results no one will even consider optioning any property.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 132
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 06:18:45 PM »
Hi.Norbett the stihl is in the 30 cc class but lets face facts.You are talking 20 feet.You can not do it with a hand held drill.Now here is something different to research.They do make drills that will run off your excavator hydrualics.simply remove your bucket and attach the drill rig.You would not want to buy one but renting is always a option.just a thought.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Norbert77

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:27:57 AM »
So what do you need to drill 30 foot overburden and 10 foot of samples below?

Offline Hardpan82

• Province/State: BC
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 07:55:11 AM »
So what do you need to drill 30 foot overburden and 10 foot of samples below?
Have you taken any soil samples and sent them for assays?  Any geochemistry work? There are alot of things you can and should do before you just start drilling. Rather then drilling first why don't you use what you have to get the most information you can without spending a ton of money. Usually people only drill when they have a reason to drill. Make a grid. Use your excavator and dig some holes and take samples from the holes. Send the samples in for assays to see if there are any anomalies in the soil. This will give you an idea if there is something there to focus on and to take the next steps. You can't just start drilling holes hoping to hit something, it's a sure fire way to go broke fast.

Offline Norbert77

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
If my excavator didnt play submarine, I wouldn't need a drill

Offline upnorth

• Province/State: yukon
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 04:23:39 AM »
"I need test holes to sell my claims" not too many miners believe drill reports. If anything, they will do their own testing before money changes hands. But Drill reports could prove  that there's a buried channel in the underneath.

Offline oilfieldsafety

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 09:00:34 AM »
I used to work on core drills in the Yukon and Northern BC as well as drills on seismic projects, right now it is pretty dead out there work wise so there may be another option to consider. For a percentage or a small piece of the pie so to speak you might be able to get an owner/operator to do a fair chunk of drilling for you.

Just a thought, cheers.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat