collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Suave

Dot Guests: 174 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130834
  • stats Total Topics: 18306
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: New User: how to determine if 4.92 ppm is worth mining?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
Re: New User: how to determine if 4.92 ppm is worth mining?
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
Hi.Guys glad to get some reaction ;D.Yea my math is bad,thanks for jumping in :) :) :).Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 08:26:35 PM »
  <~ShOcK~>  What we have here is Apples to Mack trucks   {-censored-}
Hi.Guys glad to get some reaction ;D.Yea my math is bad,thanks for jumping in :) :) :).Luck Mcbain.

[-1st-]  Nothing wrong with your formula Mark.   <-unsure_> But there is plenty confusing with our measurement system.

The conversion site clearly stated "TON"
There are two tons the long "TON" UK  (2240 pounds) and the short "TON" US (2000 pounds)
And then there is the metric "TONNE" or 1,000 kilograms or (2204.62 pounds)

One tonne or 1,000 kilograms = 1 millions grams. So  4.92 PPM, grams to grams = 4.92 grams per metric tonne (2204.62 pounds)

That is 0.00000492 of a tonne. or 5/millionth of a tonne,  <-yahoo_>  nerd$#@ for Mark's math.

I would say that Bruno has the right idea but the site is wrong,  in  tons (US)  that is 5.423 gpt

And yeh, been in the bar in Likely and heard the old timers talking of  selling gold using the 16 oz scale.

Offline ykplacer

• Kudos: 25
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »
Just signed up on the forum.  I recently made a trip out west metal detecting for some placer gold.  I decide after not finding any gold I took back some sample of "rotten quartz" and had it tested.  It came back with a 4.92 ppm on a dry ground test.

What does that mean in the aspect of any mining options?

Thanks.

RAndrew

4.92 grams per ton is a good gold grade. at today's gold price ,that works out to  $201.72 a ton ..but  it always comes down to 2 things...How many tons of ore do ya got at that grade or higher,and what is the end cost of processing it ...

You seen a train , some of those big box cars can hold a 100 tons.So  for rough math envision this in your mind....if you crush 1  full train box car of rock(with an avg  of 4.92 gram a ton) ,at the current gold prices of  $41 (USD) a gram right now you're looking at this math...100 ton x $ 201.72 dollars =$20,172

So crush 1 box car, get $20,172 sounds great, BUT then you got to minus out all your expenses..Things like your operating costs ...the cost of buying equipment (rock crusher, fine gold recovery system, machine to move rocks) feeding your equipment gas all day..covering  the cost of equipment break downs etc...travel cost to and from the site....and your gold recovery rates won"t be 100% of the gold...and when you get the gold it's not 100% pure ..you lose again on that when refining etc....

If you want to small scale hand mine,and buy a small rock crusher etc.just .think of how many train  box cars you'll need to crush

Example:  5 full 100 ton train cars  =$100,860 (at 4.92 grams a ton/$41 a gram ) that's BEFORE you minus out all expenses and account for gold  recovery loss and refining loss etc......

The higher the gold grade (gram per ton /.ppm) the less rock you'll need to crush For example (in US Dollars) and using the crush "1 box car full"

1 box car full with 100 ton capacity:

4.92 gram a ton (x$41 a gram)=$201.72 a ton x 100 tons-$20.172
12 grams a ton x ($41 a gram) =$492 a ton x 100 tons =$49,200
25 grams a ton x  ($41 a gram)= $1025 x 100 tons = $102,500
50 gram a ton  x ($41 a gram) =$2025 x 100 ton = $205,000

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: B.C.
  • Kudos: 19
  • Tip Of The $pear
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 10:23:35 PM »
https://www.kitco.com/pop_windows/kitcorockcalc.html     Gold = $202.84  better then a poke in the eye.

Offline Shrewdly

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »
Taking a geologist out with you to assess what you have found is a good idea.  Another idea is to see if there are any organizations or schools in your area that offer basic prospecting courses that you could enroll in.   After taking such a course you could go out and do a basic assessment of what you have found. With data you develop from your prospecting it would be much easier to interest a geologist to come and look at your property.  Also you would better understand what the geologist would tell you and to be able to ask better questions concerning your "property".  Remember that prospecting has the joy of discovery in both in the knowledge you gain and of the world around you. Good luck to you and your endeavors. Happy Hunting

Offline Bbutler

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
You also have to consider the size of your gold. If itís too small to collect using gravity methods like a sluice or shaker table, then you will have to use acids to  dissolve  the gold out of your crushed ore. Which can be cost prohibitive  for small scale mining

Offline garth64

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
Can you tell us how much the test cost you .