collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Slatcofishboy3@telus.netTop Cat

Dot Guests: 176 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12992
  • stats Total Posts: 130653
  • stats Total Topics: 18283
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Saskatchewan Prospecting - Alternative Methods  (Read 982 times)

Offline tonofsteel

• Province/State: SK
  • Kudos: 10
Saskatchewan Prospecting - Alternative Methods
« on: December 31, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
This fall there was snow before harvest was finished and the weight laid down the crops nearly flat on the ground.  Had to shave the ground to get the crop off which had the consequence of picking up lots of rocks.  I would give a quick check to every one I had to pick out of the combine and ended up with one that was FULL of garnets.  Not worth anything but looks interesting, was trying to figure out if there is a way to acid etch or polish it (or anything really) to make it more visually interesting.

Unfortunately the picture I took was not of the garnet rock but you can get the idea:

pros.jpg

I have picked a lot of rocks on the farm over the years and it is funny how I looked at them pre vs post starting to prospect days.  Not that there is anything that interesting but if you already have them in your hands why not take a quick look.  I guess at least when someone asks why I have that rock sitting on the coffee table there is a story behind it.  (The dangers of getting into prospecting and how it changes how you look at everyday things lol)

Combine prospecting!  Yea buddy!

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 134
Re: Saskatchewan Prospecting - Alternative Methods
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 06:27:27 PM »
Good post TOS.Farmers all over the world are finding buried treasure/artifacts.some worthless some not.You never know.Sask.has diamonds.How far did the glaciers take them .one never knows.Get yourself some swimming pool Muriatic might clean that rock up real nice.soak it for a couple days.Happy New Year luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline ykplacer

• Kudos: 25
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:49:56 PM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/rio-tinto-diamond-project-prince-albert-1.4176996

kimberlitic indicator minerals including purple pyrope, red, orange and pink pyrope garnets, chromian diopside, picroilmenite and chromite.

Offline ykplacer

• Kudos: 25
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:06:46 PM »
This fall there was snow before harvest was finished and the weight laid down the crops nearly flat on the ground.  Had to shave the ground to get the crop off which had the consequence of picking up lots of rocks.  I would give a quick check to every one I had to pick out of the combine and ended up with one that was FULL of garnets.  Not worth anything but looks interesting, was trying to figure out if there is a way to acid etch or polish it (or anything really) to make it more visually interesting.

Unfortunately the picture I took was not of the garnet rock but you can get the idea:

pros.jpg

I have picked a lot of rocks on the farm over the years and it is funny how I looked at them pre vs post starting to prospect days.  Not that there is anything that interesting but if you already have them in your hands why not take a quick look.  I guess at least when someone asks why I have that rock sitting on the coffee table there is a story behind it.  (The dangers of getting into prospecting and how it changes how you look at everyday things lol)

Combine prospecting!  Yea buddy!

Hey TOS...you cover lots of open Saskatchewan ground with that big combine...you see lots of rocks ...start thinkin' outside the 'gold box' ...start thinking  diamonds and meteorites.....If you see any black or grayish color rock pay attention..could be  meteorite ...magnets are your friend....

For example......

Farmer donates $400,000 meteorite to school
JIM MacDONALD
BUZZARD COULEE, SASK.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/farmer-donates-400000-meteorite-to-school/article4271929/

Offline tonofsteel

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:45:17 PM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/rio-tinto-diamond-project-prince-albert-1.4176996

kimberlitic indicator minerals including purple pyrope, red, orange and pink pyrope garnets, chromian diopside, picroilmenite and chromite.

Thanks ykplacer, those are good tips.

Way back I was panning some stuff from an old river channel and near the end of panning I pulled out a bunch of the clear crystals to look at under the scope.  I don't know if I would be able to identify a diamond visually since the outside of them all were so irregularly fractured that they all looked similar to me at the time.

Now that you jogged the old memory I remember I used a what seemed to be legit web page as a way to help identify any potential diamonds:

When diamonds break, they will cleave creating smooth, flat surfaces. Quartz and glass will create conchoidal surfaces when they break.
If you see curved conchoidal surfaces (see photo above) then you know your sample is not a diamond.

Wikipedia (and other sources):
Fracture   Conchoidal (shell-like)

So which way is it now?  LOL they use almost the exact same image to show diamond and not a diamond fracture patterns.  I think I have a vial someplace with some of those crystals in it, might have to go take another look.

Offline tonofsteel

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 05:51:48 PM »
G1.jpg

G2.jpg

Broke a piece off and left it in muriatic/hydrogen peroxide for a couple of days as Mcbain suggested.  It was cool in the garage though so I don't think it did as much as it could.  Might have to try again when it gets warmer, would be nice if the garnet could stick out of the rock a little more.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 134
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:25:31 PM »
Hi.TOS looking better but you are right.If you can get your solution up to about 150-180 degrees it will work much better.Acampstove works well, you do not want it to boil.The longer you can leave it the more host rock will dissolve.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat