collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 167 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129940
  • stats Total Topics: 18175
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Quebec Mining /Prospecting Regulations  (Read 791 times)

Offline Engineer

• Quebec Prospecting Licence
  • Province/State: Quebec
  • Kudos: 0
  • Prospecting Quebec
Quebec Mining /Prospecting Regulations
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »
    Quebec has some rather interesting and gray-zone regulations when it comes to mining and prospecting for the little guy. Being a Quebec resident who is interested in practicing this hobby within my province, I have done a fair amount of digging (no pun intended) to find out where the line in the sand is drawn.

After scouring the interwebs to find the correct information, I have concluded that there is not much good tangible information out there so I thought I would share the fruits of my findings.

Please feel free to contribute to this thread in order to help other noobies and/or experienced prospectors get off on the right foot when it comes to Quebec province.

Contents
    • Claims   
      • Rights and obligations
      • Obligations to come (not in force)
      • Construction on a claim
      • Acquiring a claim
        • Available lands
        • Prohibited Lands
        • Sending notice of map designation
        • Fees
      • Reserved

Claims

A claim is the only mining exploration title that may be issued for prospection of mineral substances in the domain of the State. It may be obtained:

•   by map designation, which is the principal method for acquiring a claim; or
•   or by staking on lands that have been designated for that purpose.

Rights and obligations

The holder of a claim has the exclusive right to prospect on the site to which the claim applies, for a period of two years, for all mineral substances in the domain of the State, except for:

•   petroleum, natural gas and brine; and
•   sand (except silica sand used for industrial purposes), gravel, common clay used in the manufacture of clay products and every other mineral substance found in its natural state as a loose deposit, as well as inert mine tailings used for construction.

A claim also allows its holder to explore for mineral substances in the domain of the State in mine tailings located on lands in the domain of the State.

On lands granted, alienated or leased by the State for purposes other than mining, and on lands subject to an exclusive lease to mine surface mineral substances, the claim holder must inform the owner, lessee, exclusive lease holder and local municipality that a claim has been obtained, within 60 days following registration of the claim, and in accordance with the terms and conditions established by regulation.

Where the claim applies to the territory of a local municipality, the claim holder must also inform the local municipality and the landowner of any work that will be carried out, at least 30 days before the work begins.

When granting claims in certain territories identified as State reserves, the Ministère de l’Énergie et des Ressources naturelles (MERN) may impose certain conditions and obligations in respect of the work to be done on the claim. The MERN also reserves the right to amend certain requirements in the public interest.

Obligations to come (not in force)

The claim holder must declare any discovery of mineral substances containing 0.1% or more of triuranium octaoxyde to the MERN and to the Ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques, within 90 days of making the discovery.

On each anniversary date of the registration of the claim, the claim holder must submit a report of work carried out during the year to the MERN.

Construction on a claim

A claim holder cannot erect or maintain any construction on lands in the domain of the State without first obtaining authorization from the MERN, unless the construction is one permitted by a ministerial order published in the Gazette officielle du Québec. Temporary shelters that may be torn down and transported, made of flexible material stretched over rigid supports, are permitted and no application for authorization is required.

Acquiring a claim
Available lands

Map designation is the main mean of acquiring a claim. The title is granted on a first come, first served basis. Once the map designation notice is accepted, the Registrar makes an entry in the register and issues a registration certificate for the claim.

The following webpage must be used to locate available claims.

Quebec Province Title Map:
ftp://ftp.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/Public/Gestim/cartes_quebec_minier/titles_large(2018-12-12).pdf

Quebec Province Title Sector Map Index
https://gestim.mines.gouv.qc.ca/ftp//cartes/carte_50000_eng.asp

Available lands

Map designation applies to lands designated by the Minister of Natural Resources. The surface area and boundaries of these lands are reproduced on maps kept at the Bureau du registraire. The size of a claim is generally a cell measuring 30 seconds longitude by 30 seconds latitude. In some locations within surveyed territory, the form of a claim will be the same as that of a land lot.
The boundaries of the regions in which claims are obtained by map designation will be modified over time as staked claims expire or are converted into map designated claims.
The notice of modification and a map displaying the latest boundaries are accessible at the Bureau du registraire and on the website of the Ministère des Ressources naturelles.

Prohibited Lands

Using the following map, it is possible to find out which zones have restrictions:
ftp://ftp.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/Public/Gestim/cartes_quebec_minier/restrictions_small(2018-12-12).pdf

Map designation is not permitted for:

•   Land located within the boundaries of a region in which claims may be obtained by staking. However, the possibility of using map designation within a staking park exists. In such a case, the applicant must provide a statement signed by the holder(s) of staked claims located within 1,000 metres, stipulating that the staked claim does not lie within the requested cell (the statement is enforceable against third parties).
•   Land covered by a mining concession, a mining lease, an application for a mining lease or an application for conversion of mining rights.
•   Land subject to a temporary suspension of mining activities during preparation of a ministerial order.
•   Land on which staking, map designation, prospecting and mining have been prohibited by a ministerial order.
•   An outstanding geological site.
•   Land before 9:00 a.m. on the 31st day following abandonment, revocation, non-renewal or expiry of a mining right. However, the holder of the abandoned, revoked, unrenewed or expired claim, or any person with an interest therein, must wait 30 additional days before proceeding with map designation or staking.

Sending notice of map designation

The accepted means to submit a notice of map designation for a claim shall be through:

•   GESTIM Plus https://gestim.mines.gouv.qc.ca/MRN_GestimP_Presentation/ODM02101_login.aspx (Make sure to use internet explorer or it wont work)

A notice of map designation must be accompanied with the fee prescribed by regulation. Any application submitted without payment in full will be refused.

The methods of payment are:

•   Credit card
•   A client's MRN account

The total fee must be deposited in an account with the Direction générale de la gestion du milieu minier with the specific purpose of registration of claims.
In cases where it is impossible to establish the order in which map designation applications for the same land were received, the Minister of Natural Resources may proceed by drawing lots. The Fees for Exploration Rights that must be paid to cover the costs of participating in the drawing is non-refundable.

Fees

Rates and indexing of dues, rents, royalties and fees

This is a work in progress and I will continue to update this thread in the coming weeks[/list]
A student in Electrical Engineering who is pursues a newly founded passion for prospecting and mining. I hope to go out and play as often as possible.

Bilingual in English and French, feel free to contact me if you need translation help for Quebec mining legislation.

Offline puffnstuff65

• Province/State: ontario
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Quebec Mining /Prospecting Regulations
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »
Hello there this is interesting reading thank you. I'm new to this and I would like to start I'm located in Quebec as well and when I talk to people they speak french I do as well fluent my mother tung is french La Belle Province Quebec were you ask question and your sent all over the province lol. I dont get the answers i'm looking for. Maybe you can help. I'm looking for the new year were my son and wife can go spend the summer doing a small mining operation . But I have no clue were to start.Can you please help me to understand this laws and rules
Regard :)

Offline Engineer

• Quebec Prospecting Licence
  • Province/State: Quebec
  • Prospecting Quebec
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »
Hello there this is interesting reading thank you. I'm new to this and I would like to start I'm located in Quebec as well and when I talk to people they speak french I do as well fluent my mother tung is french La Belle Province Quebec were you ask question and your sent all over the province lol. I dont get the answers i'm looking for. Maybe you can help. I'm looking for the new year were my son and wife can go spend the summer doing a small mining operation . But I have no clue were to start.Can you please help me to understand this laws and rules
Regard :)
You can always write to me in a private message and I can see what I can do.

Tu peux toujours m'écrire un message et je vais faire mon possible pour vous aider.
A student in Electrical Engineering who is pursues a newly founded passion for prospecting and mining. I hope to go out and play as often as possible.

Bilingual in English and French, feel free to contact me if you need translation help for Quebec mining legislation.

Offline Dorion

• the best way to not get there is not to try
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 04:54:34 AM »
Hello I am French and I wish to prospect in Quebec 1 month at first, how should I proceed?
the best way to not get there is not to try

Offline PhilipGold

• Kudos: 19
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
france-departments.jpg
FRANCE Gisements alluvionnaires

L'or se trouve dans des placers, qui sont des plages de graviers, situées dans les rivières et contenant des concentrations en or. Dans ces placers l'or natif se rencontre en particules plus ou moins grosses (paillettes ou pépites) mélangées au sable des rivières et qui proviennent de la désagrégation de filons. L'or se trouve aussi dans des marmites qui sont des anfractuosités rocheuses au fond du lit.

Il y a deux types de placers aurifères en France : Les placers de plages et les marmites, qui sont des anfractuosités rocheuses ayant piégé de l'or. Les cours d'eau torrentiels à fortes pentes ne peuvent contenir que des marmites, car la vitesse du courant ne permet pas à l'or de se déposer. Les rivières de plaines à pente moyenne, contiennent des placers de plages et des marmites. Dans les régions pauvres en or et n'ayant que des placers de plages à faibles teneurs, il peut exister des marmites à très fortes teneurs. Les régions riches sont le département du Gard et de l'Ariège, qui ont des placers de plages et de marmites. Dans les autres il ne faut rechercher l'or que dans les marmites, car par leur capacité de forte concentration, elles peuvent avoir retenu beaucoup d'or. Toutes les régions citées, peuvent avoir un intérêt dans le cas de la récupération de l'or sur sablières. La teneur dans les plages est de 0,2 décigrammes à 4 grammes par mètre cube. Dans les marmites la teneur moyenne est de 10 grammes par mètre cube.

Voici la liste des rivières aurifères de France :
Massif Armoricain

Côtes-d'Armor : le Lié, la Rance
    Ille-et-Vilaine : la Cantache, le Meu, le Couesnon
    Maine- et-Loire : les affluents de la Sarthe et de la Basse Mayenne
    Mayenne : l'Oudon, les affluents de la Haute Mayenne
    Morbihan : le Blavet, l'Oust et affluents
    Finistère: Odet (supérieur), Aulne (Bassin de Châteaulin), Porzay

Normandie

Même type de placers et teneurs qu'en Bretagne

Calvados et Manche : les affluents de l'Orne et de la Vire.

Massif Central

Allier : l'Allier
    Ardèche : l'Eyrieux, le Doux , l'Ardèche, le Chassezac
    Aveyron : le Viaur, la Truyère
    Cantal : la Jordanne, la Truyère
    Corrèze : la Vézère, la Loyre
    Creuse : la Gartempe, l'Ardour
    Dordogne : l'Isle, la Loue, L'Auvézère (traces d'or)
    Gard : le Gard, le Gardon d'Alès, le Gardon d'Anduze, le Gardon de Saint Jean, le Galeizon, La Ganière, La Cèze, Le Luech, le Vidourle, le Rhône
    Hérault : l'Orb, l'Hérault (de Saint-Bauzille de Putois à Ganges)
    Loire : le Gier
    Haute-Loire : l'Alagnon
    Lot : le Lot, la Dordogne (or au camping de Souillac, 6 petites paillettes à la batée) sablières
    Lozère : le Coulagnet, la Colagne, le Lot, la Truyère
    Puy de Dôme : l'Allier, la Haute-Dordogne. La Burande à Singles drainant les mines "d'or" de la Bessette
    Rhône : le Gier, le Rhône, la Saône, Azergues (la vallée qui draine Chessy-les-Mines et son amas sulfuré polymétallique) y compris son affluent la Brévenne (idem à Sain-Bel)
    Tarn : le Tarn, le Viaur
    Haute-Vienne : la Gartempe, l'Aurence, l'Isle, la Glane

Pyrénées

Ariège : l'Ariège, le Salat, l'Arize et leurs affluents issus du Plantaurel
    Aude : l'Aude
    Haute-Garonne : la Garonne sur tout son cours (hors barrage), à Mancioux, la Neste
    Hautes-Pyrénées : l'Adour à Maubourguet
    Pyrénées-Atlantiques: le Gave de Pau, la Nive
    Pyrénées-Orientales : la Têt, le Tech, le Réart et leurs affluents issus des Aspres

Alpes

Hautes-Alpes : la Romanche
    Isère : l'Isère
    Haute-Savoie : le Rhône, l'Arve, le Fier, le Chéran

Est

Haut-Rhin et Bas-Rhin : le Rhin, la Thur, la Doller, La Lauch, La Fecht
    Moselle : la Moselle
    Haute Saône : L'Ognon

Offline Dorion

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 10:59:55 AM »
Hello, thank you for the information on France, but it is in Quebec that I wish to prospect, what advice do you have to give me?

Offline PhilipGold

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 11:30:07 AM »
Gold is the only business where someone will rather travel across the world than do it in their backyard. Unless you know 10 ministers, own the claims, own the land, abide by 10 000 pages of federal and provincial laws it is illegal. Panning in itself is illegal.

Cette directive est en vigueur depuis le 15 juillet 2004. Elle rend nulle et sans effet toute autre directive précédente sur le même sujet. La directive est adoptée en vertu de l’article 100 de la Loi sur les mines (L.R.Q., c. M-13.1) qui stipule, entre autres, que :

« Toute personne qui projette d’exploiter des substances minérales (à l’exception des substances minérales de surface) à des fins commerciales ou industrielles doit d’abord conclure un bail minier avec le ministre des Ressources naturelles. »
Cette exigence s’applique aussi pour toute exploitation dans un cours d’eau ou un lac ou sur leurs rives. Le lavage de gravier avec un concentrateur hydraulique et le lavage à la batée à des fins touristiques sont considérés comme des activités d’exploitation de substances minérales à des fins commerciales.

Toute personne qui projette d’intervenir directement ou d’exécuter des travaux dans un cours d’eau, un lac, un étang, un marais, un marécage ou une tourbière doit se procurer un certificat d’autorisation du ministre du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et des Parcs avant le début des travaux, en vertu de l’article 22 de la Loi sur la qualité de l’environnement (L.R.Q., c. Q-2). Ceci s’applique aussi pour la prospection à la batée et le lavage de gravier avec un concentrateur hydraulique. De plus, des mesures devront être prises, lors des travaux, pour éviter de déployer des particules fines dans le cours d’eau.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
Hi.Pascal.I do not read or speak French but after reading all the horror stories on here over the yearsI think I could almost translate your post.Bottom line is Quebec is not open to the public.Some folks just do not get it.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Dorion

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:19:23 AM »
hello, we will say that you do everything so that I do not prospect in canada! Why ? I will go regardless of your opinion.

Offline PhilipGold

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:03:06 AM »
I told you go to the Yukon, work for someone for one year or two, learn how to run an operation and then start your mine in the klondike. Unless you want to be poor that is the way to go. If you ever succeed to get all the 10 differents ministries of Quebec to let you mine gold. You call me because that hasn't happenned in forever.  That is only the surface visible layers, we are not even talking about the wine tasting meetings.