collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 246 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131036
  • stats Total Topics: 18330
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: LiDAR  (Read 1111 times)

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
LiDAR
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »
Anybody using LiDAR to look for old placer or hardrock workings?  I'd love to know it availability in Canada and any hints, tricks or links to get started. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 18
  • https://youtu.be/RhFRkgpURW0
    • youtube channel
Re: LiDAR
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »
Anybody using LiDAR to look for old placer or hardrock workings?  I'd love to know it availability in Canada and any hints, tricks or links to get started.

We are currently using GuessDar
We drive my Jeep as far as we can up logging roads,  then hike as far as we can hoping to find a cool old workings or buildings....Guessing.

I had to google LiDarů. its a little outta my element for sure... but if your Lidar points you to a pile of rocks somewhere in BC,  let me know.. I will go there.lolů.

Lidar is a surveying method that measures distance to a target by illuminating the target with pulsed laser light and measuring the reflected pulses with a sensor. Differences in laser return times and wavelengths can then be used to make digital 3-D representations of the target. The name lidar, now used as an acronym of light detection and ranging, was originally a portmanteau of light and radar. Lidar sometimes is called 3D laser scanning, a special combination of a 3D scanning and laser scanning. It has terrestrial, airborne, and mobile applications.

Definition is courtesy Google...  cool tech for sure!

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 138
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Do not think the average weekend prospector could afford such a thing.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 44
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »

In BC: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/data/geographic-data-services/digital-imagery
The big advantage to submeter topo is the precision. A slope that seems to be about 65░ using current contours when in fact it is about 48░ with flat areas.

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 44
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
This is a very timely post. LiDAR transceivers are shrinking in size and cost there are now a number of drone size units that weight in grams. The technology is also used in self driving vehicles and for accident avoidance in cars today. The cost is dropping fast.

Offline tonofsteel

• Province/State: SK
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »
If you are technically inclined you could mess around with one of these:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14032

LIDAR-Lite v3
$129.99
40m distance range

Already have libraries for Arduino and guides:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/lidar-lite-v3-hookup-guide?_ga=2.188300712.1835148801.1545261665-1151087414.1545261665

They say it can be used on drones but:

A breadboard seems to work fine if there is not a lot of mechanical vibrations. However, a small bump can mess up the timing for the I2C even on the breadboard.

That to me sounds like a fun day of troubleshooting after strapping it to a drone.  Probably part of the reason why the commercial turn-key out of the box systems are so expensive.

I have been more interested in electronic geophysical survey methods so have not gone down the road too far with LiDAR.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »
Thanks guys!  The reason I was asking the question is a buddy is using LiDAR in the US to find old civil war sites.  You can actually still see where there was dug out on the side of a forest hill.  For him, it is online and free.   I was thinking it would be useful to find old forgotten tailings.  Getting a system for my drone sounds like an interesting option if the cheap stuff works OK.

Offline Lanny

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »

We are currently using GuessDar
We drive my Jeep as far as we can up logging roads,  then hike as far as we can hoping to find a cool old workings or buildings....Guessing.

I had to google LiDarů. its a little outta my element for sure... but if your Lidar points you to a pile of rocks somewhere in BC,  let me know.. I will go there.lolů.

Lidar is a surveying method that measures distance to a target by illuminating the target with pulsed laser light and measuring the reflected pulses with a sensor. Differences in laser return times and wavelengths can then be used to make digital 3-D representations of the target. The name lidar, now used as an acronym of light detection and ranging, was originally a portmanteau of light and radar. Lidar sometimes is called 3D laser scanning, a special combination of a 3D scanning and laser scanning. It has terrestrial, airborne, and mobile applications.

Definition is courtesy Google...  cool tech for sure!

Fun definition! Loved it.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline Lanny

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks guys!  The reason I was asking the question is a buddy is using LiDAR in the US to find old civil war sites.  You can actually still see where there was dug out on the side of a forest hill.  For him, it is online and free.   I was thinking it would be useful to find old forgotten tailings.  Getting a system for my drone sounds like an interesting option if the cheap stuff works OK.

Using it to sniff out mine dumps does sound like a good idea, and I imagine it might be helpful in seeing old forgotten hand-stacks in forested areas, and tunnel slumps where the Old-Timers followed bedrock, etc.

I know in Central America they've ID'd many ancient building sites that they previously had no idea were even there.

Interesting stuff.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 02:42:17 PM »
For sure next time I am out with a detector on a gold creek that I don't know, I will fly my drone to overlook anything that looks interesting in the distance.  In the past, I have walked a half day only, to find a spot looks completely different close up than what I was expecting. 

Gear Pan