collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

johanssonsanTop Cat

Dot Guests: 120 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12799
  • stats Total Posts: 127453
  • stats Total Topics: 17826
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Dead Forum  (Read 244 times)

Offline snowman18

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 5
Dead Forum
« on: October 10, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
Gone prospecting

Offline recgold

• Kudos: 3
Re: Dead Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:30:15 PM »

Often when I'm searching for something prospecting related through google search many links from gpex show up in the results.  If the forum was locked away would we lose visitors that find the site this way?  The forum should still be made available to google if possible.

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 09:23:03 PM »
As a former manager of a community of 170,000 music producers and DJ's from around the world I can tell you that 90-95% of people do not / will not post - they simply read and gain benefit (which is fine given that free knowledge sharing is a key goal of the Internet, let alone any forum). That means 5% of people are posting and controlling the conversation. Formally or informally, these people are the mods and community leaders.

If the purpose of a community is to connect people so they can exchange knowledge, ideas and enthusiasm for a hobby I think this forum is doing great.

I have also done SEO professionally in the past, and I can tell you that GPEX gets massive organic distribution on search engines for a variety of head and long tail topics related to prospecting (which led me to this community in the first place).

As long as the majority of visitors/members are gaining benefit from this forum then the community is serving its purpose to further the hobby of gold prospecting in a way that respects the needs of all stakeholders.

PS I don't recommend disallowing search bots to index this site, that would kill the organic traffic which is the key growth engine of any healthy community.

North Vancouver, BC
Favourite Location: Coquihalla

Offline Ruby Silver

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:45:27 AM »
I have to agree with Xplore. So many searches I have made with google have ended up bringing me to the older GPEX posts of long gone members. Lots of great info on here for our future prospectors from our past ones.   {cool^sign} [<-panning->]
Went to the old school of Hard Knocks... Pain is a good teacher. Becareful out there ya'all. :0)

Offline graeme1955

• Province/State: chilliwack bc
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
I think this forum is far from dead, it has its lulls on occasion. But so does everything else from time to time. There are a lot of great people on this forum as well as a lot of great topics, as a person wanting to learn a little about prospecting and finding gold this has been an inspirational site for me. All I can read and learn here is much appreciated. Thanks to all.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat