collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 95 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12799
  • stats Total Posts: 127428
  • stats Total Topics: 17821
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Seperating fine gold from black sand  (Read 1016 times)

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 118
Re: Seperating fine gold from black sand
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 07:07:44 PM »
Well said Snoman and entirely true.A good plastic pan that has been seasoned works just as well as a metal pan.You simply soak a good Garret pan insome dish water and it works well.Now there are those that want to go cheap and buy the cheap offshore pans for 9.95.You can not boil out the oil but saved 20.00 bucks and the gold floats away.These folks will never know if they found gold or not But they saved 20.00 bucks and all there work is for nothing.Some actually believe gold simply falls into a pan because it is a pan, lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@*.luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »
Nice.As long as it is not fresh cedar.Cedar has a lot of oil that will wash out over time.But take a lot of time .I guess one could boil it out.It is usually only the very fines that float.Apan can be made out of pretty much any thing but offshore cheap plastic.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »
Hey Snowman all this stuff you are posting,some books included are ancient history.The wheel has turned and things have improved over a 200 year process.There were times when the long tom and a gunny sack were considered the best mining tools out there.Not so any more.yes they were the fore fathers and  came up with some very good things that started a mining evolution but that was 200 years ago.Think about the iron horse, and all that came with it.The times are a changing.and so are all the methods of capturing gold.Your centerfuge is a good one but unatainable by most.So we come upwith other methods such as learninging how to pan.Wee have great pans and sluice boxes to day.the old timers would die for what we have to day and ther would be so much more gold if they had the tools of today.Got to go falling asleep.Luck Mcbain.

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 09:29:09 PM »
As a historical exercise this is interesting stuff, thanks for sharing Snowman!

North Vancouver, BC
Favourite Location: Coquihalla

Offline graeme1955

• Province/State: chilliwack bc
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »
very interesting posts snowman, I would like to see you post more about your alternate [ wood burning] fuel car in the chat and everything else section. But back to the topic the historical aspect of gold mining is really interesting to hear about and see things the old timers used, as well as where these things were used. As a retired mechanic, I can not just sit around, I tinker and like to build my own stuff to support my hobby. Also it gives me some self satisfaction and something to do to get out and enjoy being at the river or out in the bush with something to do like prospecting, Living close to the Fraser river it is easy to look into the history of the gold rush and see how it influenced the very life we lead today, if one looks close you can still see evidence of it today all along the river, I like to see our local history, and perhaps find a little gold along the way, I hope everyone has had a good season and all is wellG

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
Hey Snowman.the books are very much appreciated and will never burn in my hands.You wanted a livelier forum.sometimes it takes  a different stroke to liven things up a bit.Here is another one for you.Sunshine sent me a 1lb bag of silver sawdust.I call it sawdust ,it is from his rock cutting saw.All about 1/8 minus. I put in a few ounces of swimming pool cleaner.It boiled like crazy and instantly turned a forest green.I left it for 24 hours.After diluting it down to pure water I am left with a few ounces of very fine gray sludge.I still have to dry it.But am hoping it is the silver powder which I intend to melt.Any thoughts.Luck Mcbain.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
Thanks.Mcbain.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat