collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 108 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12772
  • stats Total Posts: 126846
  • stats Total Topics: 17712
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner

Author Topic: Seperating fine gold from black sand  (Read 801 times)

Offline Craig1

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 2
Seperating fine gold from black sand
« on: October 07, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »
Hey everyone! While out this weekend i found a spot that has decent fine gold but soooo much black sand im going crazy trying to seperate.. Please post any tricks or tips you guys use also which unit you use.  Also someone tryong to tell me to heat the black sand first.. is this true? Thank you all in advance..

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 114
Re: Seperating fine gold from black sand
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 06:42:57 PM »
Hi.Roasting is one method when trying to use a magnet to get rid of black sand.Alot of folks swear by it but still lose gold.All your fine gold is suspended in the black sand.Dry works better than wet but put a magnet to black sand and it will hold anything in it.Snow man is right,Roasting should be done on a hot plate out side or under a good suction fan.I have found the best machine to be the Gold hog Multi Sluice.It is designed to separate gold and sand.A bit pricey so I bought the gold hog washer matt and built my own box.Even with this you need to run your cons several times to get it clean.Next is the Blue Bowl,costs about 135.00.It is very slow but will do the job.Now spent a few weeks on you tube and research the above vidieos there are a lot.Watch all Gold hogg vids on panning and separating.You will be admazed at what you can learn before spending a bunch of money. PS try to avoid shacker tables.waste of money in my opinion.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 07:11:50 PM »
See this is where we disagree.The gold and platinum I recovered came off a miller table,Tossed to the side.i recovered it with gold hogg matt.That being said I have seen Snow man recover gold from river silt nobody would even try.It is a great big learning curve out there and all depends on what you want the end result to be.Luck Mcbain.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »
Hey Snow man,the table in question is the one used buy the gold buyers in the Yukon???????.Dawson City.And one could probably question where they bought their drivers lincence and passports.That being said when I can no longer see gold so fine with my glassess,I toss it back to the river gods to grow up some more :) :)Luck,Mcbain.

Offline tcgofyyc

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
Gotta agree with McBain on this, miller tables work but for a hobbiest its a little pricey, I bought a Black Scorpion and it works but is slow and still loses some gold (always run cons 2 or 3 times anyway). My best setup is the Gold Hog Multi-sluice, then the spiral wheel to separate the black sands from the super fines.
Like McBain I only purchased the Matting from Gold Hog then made my own cleanup sluice, really the cheapest way to go. Yes I'm all about cheap. ;) The best advice I can offer is 'Patience' no matter what process you decide on.
cheers,
tcg

Offline Xplore

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »
I have a home made Miller table and it works well for the fine gold I find.

I put everything through a ~20 mesh dollar store sieve and run the screened material on the Miller table.

Much more enjoyable than panning down -20 mesh concentrates (and faster, for me anyway). Afterward the +20's get panned for any bonus pieces.

Perhaps people with more than my 1 season of panning experience might have a different perspective and would prefer panning down their concentrates.

Lower Mainland, BC
Favourite Locations: Hope/Yale, Fraser and Coquihalla

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »
Wow Snow man that was uncalled for.I watched the vids and some of these tables in action and am not impressed.Be carefull of whoe you call stupid.I happen to know you do not have any gold hogg matts.The only difference between the slick miller table and the gold hogg is the gold  hogg has riffles.We are not hear to put folks down but to learn and calling folks stupid is the wrong way.we all have our methods.Some better than others.Luck,Mcbain.

Offline Dreay

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 08:23:10 PM »
What I find works really well for me anyways but does cost a little.

1- Run it through the Gold Hog Multi Sluice exactly how doc tells you it's super fast to get it down to only a cup and a bit
2- After the Multi Sluice run what you got on a miller table I personally bought one  from Martin Prospecting and love the thing takes all the black sand out leaving the very fine flour gold and sure beats panning.

I do save all my cons for a future date when I feel bored and want to run them as no method is 100% capture rate.

IMG_4713.jpgIMG_4717.jpg

Offline Xplore

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »
I would be surprised if Mark is losing ANY fine gold from those Hog mats in the multi sluice. Doc really knows his stuff, he's probably the best in the world at designing mats and optimizing sluices. I would buy a multi sluice in a split second if I had the budget right now.

Definately would not want to make any claim that my hacked together, home made miller table is better than anything except tedious panning! It's certainly not better than a store bought one, just cheaper.

Interesting contraptions here Snowman, thanks for sharing!

-Xplore
Lower Mainland, BC

Offline Xplore

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
Let me preface this with the fact that my miller table design is far from ideal, and had to be hacked together. I would not necessarily recommend modelling my design - there are far better plans out there to replicate.

Here are the costs in CAD (for mine, anyway).

1. 600GPH bilge pump from Canadian Tire -$30  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/v-600-bilge-pump-0793542p.html#srp
2. 6ft extension hose & Y joint to go back to recirculating tub as the 600GPH at full throttle was too much flow - $15
3. Craft / Hobby Cutting Board for the Miller Table surface - $30 (already had one that my wife was not using, so $0)
https://www.staples.ca/cutting+mat/directory_cutting+mat_20051_1_20001
4. Plywood base - $10
5. 1 x 6 x 10 Pine board for side and front walls $7
4. 2 x Rubbermaid tubs - $0 (already had these)
5. Paint brush ($0, already had this
6. 12V, 18 amp hour SLA battery (had this already for clean up sluice) -   $72
7. 12V battery charger - $60

For the purposes of this exercise I will assume one already has a decent 12V battery and the ability to charge it.

If that assumption is true, the costs were: $30 + $15 + $10 + $7 = $62 CAD

If you had to buy everything from scratch above then perhaps one of the cheaper commercial miller tables would make a lot more sense (or just patient panning). Bascially anything except what I have made ; )

I enjoy the process of using the miller table more than panning down concentrates, so I'll stick with it for now.

Lower Mainland, BC

Gear Pan
Gold Rat