collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

koldun

Dot Guests: 130 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12916
  • stats Total Posts: 129526
  • stats Total Topics: 18109
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Gold Panning in the Bulkley Valley  (Read 446 times)

Offline Tim Harris

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
Gold Panning in the Bulkley Valley
« on: February 23, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
Hello,
I am very new to gold panning and this site and i live up in the Bulkley Valley around Smithers, Was just wondering if anyone has ever panned any of the creeks around here and could give me some hints or any useful information what so ever! Would also love to get out on any trips or anything in this area!

Offline White Dog

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
  • Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Re: Gold Panning in the Bulkley Valley
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 01:48:11 PM »
pretty slim pickins in that area however I believe there is placer north of hazelton if you look for it and there is a guy in Houston.... Andy (cant remember his last name ) that has a claim just outside of town with some fine gold

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 123
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 07:59:27 PM »
Hi.Tim welcome to the site.Takes 2 posts to become a member.I was a assistant ranger up there years ago.Most of my family still  lives in Smithers.I was not into prospecting in those days but knew a few guys that were.This could get long winded but there is good gold in the Bulkley.Finding it is another story.I worked with a old time ranger in Houston.Hisname was Wid Smith.That guy found gold and any mineral every where.All the mines up in that country were found by Wid.He staked claims and sold them to the big guys.Bradina out at Owen lake,Equity out of Houston good pruducing mines.Every body said there is no gold, but Wid would take his grandkids out for a day on buck creek(runs threw Houston) they always came back with gold.The mountain halfway between Houston and Burnslake called Chaina Nose is named after a chinese fellow that used to come to Houston to buy supplies.He always paid with gold. and lots of it.The locals would ask  him where the gold was and his reply was China knows.It is out there you just got to look.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Tim Harris

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:38:13 PM »
Hi.Tim welcome to the site.Takes 2 posts to become a member.I was a assistant ranger up there years ago.Most of my family still  lives in Smithers.I was not into prospecting in those days but knew a few guys that were.This could get long winded but there is good gold in the Bulkley.Finding it is another story.I worked with a old time ranger in Houston.Hisname was Wid Smith.That guy found gold and any mineral every where.All the mines up in that country were found by Wid.He staked claims and sold them to the big guys.Bradina out at Owen lake,Equity out of Houston good pruducing mines.Every body said there is no gold, but Wid would take his grandkids out for a day on buck creek(runs threw Houston) they always came back with gold.The mountain halfway between Houston and Burnslake called Chaina Nose is named after a chinese fellow that used to come to Houston to buy supplies.He always paid with gold. and lots of it.The locals would ask  him where the gold was and his reply was China knows.It is out there you just got to look.Luck Mcbain.

Thats awesome to know that there is gold in the Bulkley! Would have no idea to even start looking for it though haha, and yeah i heard that Buck Creek was suppost to have gold, but quite a few claims around there! Thanks a lot for the info, let me know if you know if anyone is going panning anytime haha

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 123
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »
Hi Tim.About 1/2 way up the road to the hudson bay ski hill is a old mine that produced gold.You drive right threw it.I am going back 30 years.Worth checking out but wear good nitrile gloves.they used a lot of nasty chemicals back in the day.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.