collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

camper1fishboy3@telus.netKnuckleBuster

Dot Guests: 192 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12772
  • stats Total Posts: 126839
  • stats Total Topics: 17711
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner

Author Topic: Help Tuning a sluice box  (Read 545 times)

Offline Ringleboy26

• Kudos: 1
Help Tuning a sluice box
« on: August 08, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
The quick story:

Im a sand and gravel operator who has a small amount of fine gold the the glacial till we mine.   We wash 50-60,000 ton of material a year.  We added a classifier to our wash plant last year.  I tossed together a quick sluice box to feed the sand over on its way to the classifier. 

Sluice box measurements.  2 sluices 3 wide  by 20 long.  I have 24 of pitch on the box.  Im using heavy expanded steel over miners moss. 

Problem: 
The sand is 100% passing no 4 seive.  We current run at 120-180 ton a hour of sand depends on stone quantities.  What happens is after 5 mins of running the ruffles fill with black sand and turns into a large slick plate.  It gets as bad as forming dunes on top of the expanded steel. 

What are my options?  More water more pitch more runs water moving to fast?  The problem is this box is 24 in the air so anything I do is a  pain in the ass .  I hope I can get it to collect a little gold so I can save a little face.   

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDqiv7k6OM

Thanks for the help Im a gravel guy not a gold miner.

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 8
Re: Help Tuning a sluice box
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
I'd ask the champions over at Goldhog.  I am sure they have mats that would help as they do make some products for commercial operations.
The fact that its "Sand" though to start with might be more challenging.

One of my brothers customers has a gravel / sand pit here in BC.  We ran through about a ton of sand  through my little highbanker and recovered basically zero,  but when we ran through unclassified sand/gravel mix from the same plant we recovered some gold.  It was classified to 1/4",  not sure why we also failed with pure sand other than I believe that the momentum of the rocks (even small ones) disrupt the sand and keep everything that is light weight  (or large surface area like rocks) moving downhill.  The sand tended to clump and form ridges, especially up the sides of the highbanker.

I would definitely think increased water velocity would help,  though obviously it's a fine line between catching the gold and blowing it out.

One test I would do, is have someone run through some of your material on a small system,  if a little highbanker like mine can recover some  gold from your material, then certainly the right combo of matting and water flow should do the same on your big equip.

Out of curiosity do you know your water volume and pitch?

HIGHBANKER FOR SALE,  PM ME OR CHECK OUT
FOR SALE SECTION!

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 114
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »
Hi.The problem with sand is it crates a slurry.You have to feed it very slow.Even if you increased the sluice box to 6 ft wide you would have a problem.Feeding at the rate you are the slurry plugs every thing fast and the gold and every thing else blows over the top.I would do as suburb says .run some through a small high banker very slow.If yo are getting goldYou know it is there and have to rethink the hole operation.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Ringleboy26

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:22:29 AM »
All the tests I ran were on the raw material.   So I may have a problem with the sand being too uniform.   You can tell the riffles are filling in with black sand.  When running, and you feel into the sluice it feels hard as a rock. 

I have 24 of pitch over 20 of run.  Im guessing 2000ish gpm of water flow over the sluices. 

Offline miner01

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
   Dare I say it   make the black sand your friend , try putting some magnetic sign mat at the start of run,as long as the sand is not flowing to fast it will allow the gold to settle out and sink into the black sand. the black sand does not harden up and works like slurry.  PS only good for fine gold and before you all start ranting TRY IT    Tony

Offline miner01

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
 I would say you are not pumping 2000gpm as you ,d blow everything out. Also if you have any conveying belt around , put some in the sluice. Say 18# of mag sheet which would act as your slick plate then 18# of conveyer belt then your mat and expanded. Since your sluice is loading up , you should be at least 1.5 inch per foot drop. Tony

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 09:52:29 PM »
Hi I think you should try a small sluice.Using gold hog matt.I know your problem and expanded over minors moss will not work.Plugs up too fast.at the rate of material you are trying to run.The sand will clog  minors moss as fast as any thing.The only reason I recommend gold hog at a slow feed rate is it will get your gold and prove your point.That still does not give you a viable option. for the amount of sand you want to run.I think if you canshow some good gold it may be worth looking into a huge center fugeBut you have to decide whether the gold value is worth the work and cost.Luck Mcbain.

Offline Sneed13

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 10:53:22 PM »
So every time I am on the forum and someone starts asking/talking about mats; here pops up McBain - raving about the gold hog mats.   Time and time again - there you are.  lol. 

Cutting right to the chase I ordered the gold hog washer mats last night.   If what you (and others) have said is true, then they are worth the cash.

Tell Doc to send you a commission cheque!
Sneed13

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
Hi Sneed something to remember.The washer matts are designed for clean up not full time sluicing.Luck Mcbain.

Offline Ringleboy26

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 06:49:02 AM »
I would say you are not pumping 2000gpm as you ,d blow everything out. Also if you have any conveying belt around , put some in the sluice. Say 18# of mag sheet which would act as your slick plate then 18# of conveyer belt then your mat and expanded. Since your sluice is loading up , you should be at least 1.5 inch per foot drop. Tony

Thank you Im set at 1 per foot now.  Ill have to bust the jacks out and try a little more pitch.   Gpm is just a guess Ill have to measure the weir height on classifier to get a better number.   I do have a 6x4 Berkley and a  6 wacker pump feeding water to the sluice. 

Gear Pan
Gold Rat