collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 151 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12966
  • stats Total Posts: 130013
  • stats Total Topics: 18185
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Had an idea - Micro dredge anyone?  (Read 769 times)

Offline DharmaSoldat

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 2
  • Gadget Guy
Had an idea - Micro dredge anyone?
« on: July 29, 2018, 08:51:19 PM »
So I'm sitting outside tonight drinkin my cider and a visit to home depot  this weekend got me to thinking about the idea of a micro dredge.

It might be more novelty than anything else but upon looking at some of the gas powered leaf blowers and weed whackers and such I wondered if it would be possible to create and infinity jet type dredge of the 1" to 1-1/2" variety for low volume work at, say, the gut of the stream feeding into a bucket or maybe even for crevicing work. Ultimately the goal would be for it to be very lightweight but still able to do its job to a reasonable degree.

Anyone else think about this or try it? Love to hear your thoughts.

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
  • Kudos: 11
Re: Had an idea - Micro dredge anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 01:44:55 PM »
So I'm sitting outside tonight drinkin my cider and a visit to home depot  this weekend got me to thinking about the idea of a micro dredge.

It might be more novelty than anything else but upon looking at some of the gas powered leaf blowers and weed whackers and such I wondered if it would be possible to create and infinity jet type dredge of the 1" to 1-1/2" variety for low volume work at, say, the gut of the stream feeding into a bucket or maybe even for crevicing work. Ultimately the goal would be for it to be very lightweight but still able to do its job to a reasonable degree.

Anyone else think about this or try it? Love to hear your thoughts.

I thought about it... but then I remembered that its illegal to use where I work usually.
I have seen someone use a shop vac,  it was a battery powered one and it sucked (not the good suck,  the bad suck!).

If you come with something let me know..haha.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »
The Idea is good but this has been tried many times.They will not suck water.I spent the 500.00 on a Royal  wet dry combo gas powered unit.It was fantastic for dry ground but filled up and plugged up on wet material instantly.Just saying Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline DharmaSoldat

• Gadget Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 08:48:10 AM »
Hay guys, I appreciate the replies and advice.

I swear I have more fun building gadgets for prospecting than the actual prospecting sometimes.

How about a Ryobi Li-ion power head that drives a custom multi-stage centrifugal pump powering a small infinity jet with a globular clearance grate on the front to limit input particle size. You operate it like a weedwhacker.

Seriously guys, I have a problem :P

Offline Xplore

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 11:20:32 PM »
Curious to see the progress of your R&D and testing for this Steven.

If anyone can pull it off it's you!
North Vancouver, BC

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 71
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 03:14:43 AM »
I have a Keene 2" Dredge (I call it A Shop Vac With an Attitude) and only use it in very special cases.  3 or 4 years ago was one case.

Using a Polaris 4x4 I hauled the dredge engine/pump, hoses, 2 rakes and a large (!) tub to my claim.  There I began to rake (with a large tine rake) a small area in a very small stream where I knew Gold to be in the past.  First I raked the many larger rocks off to the side and then used a bit smaller tine rake to remove the medium sized rocks to the side, as well.  After quite a while I was left with much smaller than golf ball sized rocks which could be picked up by the 2" nozzle.  Then the tub was wrestled along side the cleared area and soundly sunk into the water.  Then the dredge was started up and the discharge hose began to fill the over 2 meter long tub. 

In a little while the tub was full and I was able to easily Hand shovel into a stream sluice box. 

Why mention this? 

Well, it seems that a 2" sluice, without raking aside all but the smallest gravel, is  CONSTANTLY plugged up with  anything larger than a watermelon seed. 

It turns out I was foolish in trying that - but - you guys are thinking of a 1" suction nozzle?   lol!!!@*

Just think about it.
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline DharmaSoldat

• Gadget Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 08:27:30 AM »
Hay guys. Just saw this here.

So like every great answer in engineering, this one as well will be prefaced with "it depends".

If I were looking for a regular dredge you would be absolutely correct, Joe.

However the use case for this device was to be able to suction sample crevices or areas of interest with a compact lightweight unit that could be carried into remote areas relatively easy.

Turns out some guy in the states did this with a Ryobi pool vacuum. a length of bilge pump hose, a nozzle and some electrical tape. All for probably about $300 CAD.

The vids on youtube.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat