collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mike(swWash)chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 178 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130829
  • stats Total Topics: 18306
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Ideas for a highbanker that doesn't look like one  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Hephaestus

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 0
Ideas for a highbanker that doesn't look like one
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Hi all,

Looking for ideas... I'm surrounded by effin hippies who call police every time I go out panning. The police get a little grumpy because they claim they have to respond - then a pair of them spends 4-5 hours hiking in to see me, I hand them my permit a copy of the regs, and they leave super grumpy about the encounter.

Sadly it's on a popular float down the river route - and it never fails to result in either the Red coated Camel Mounters or trout and deer cops visiting. All of them grumpy because they've just hiked for a couple hours and have wet feet.

I have a nice little honey hole, just with a pan I can get about a gram of stupid fine flour out a day. (Concentrate about a big ziplock freezer bag with the pans, with a 7yr olds "assistance" bring home to wheel it out)

I did try a homebrew high banker, once. After Hawks1 air unit attended with a high powered rifle pointed at me. I realized that was much worse than just panning somehow... Totally legal but I'd rather spend that hour moving dirt than answering questions for the local (and regional) constables.

Looking for ideas, I screen to 1/8" it's all very fine flour gold we find. Mostly sand / silt - my gravel bar is a lovely remnant of the 2013 flood. We access it on mountain bike - fairly quick and easy, not technical - likely I could bring a bike trailer in with me (but haven't tried, couple narrow spots but nothing crazy)

Main concern is moving more dirt and hopefully not getting even more police visits by doing so.

Millwright by trade, RC hobbies, and geeky nature says I can build just about anything. I have full garage for metal working, mig tig and arc welding gear, small hobby lathe, small hobby mill, a fair bit of fiberglass experience and our library has a 3d printer that costs peanuts to use.

So - thoughts? How do I make a highbanker that doesn't look like a highbanker - recirculating needed, that will capture the flour - and be reasonably portable? I'll be running a 12vdc bilge pump, likely on off the shelf RC lipos since I have many to already choose from and don't weigh as much as car batteries...

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
Re: Ideas for a highbanker that doesn't look like one
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
Hi.sounds like tou have to get the law on your side.I think you have.I do not no of any way to disguise a highbanker.You may be better off with a stream sluice.Just a thought.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Hephaestus

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 07:09:36 AM »
Sluice wouldn't be legal  - output needs to go into a settling pond as I understand it.

I had been eyeballing the gold box / beach box style concepts thinking that could work - but unsure if they'd handle the volume of material. As the gold is similar I'd imagine being super fine - I'd think those are my better bets.

The other thought I had was scaling up the few small fluidized bed systems I've seen, most are super tiny, but I do like the idea - if I ran one more as the catch on a high banker setup, and used the pump to activate the fluid bed vs the stream fed variety... Maybe more workable? Probably means 2 pumps, but that's not exactly a problem to setup.

Offline Hephaestus

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
rev1-highbanker.png

This is what I'm currently thinking about.

If you're wondering totally not to scale, angles correct but that's about it.

Hopper/grizzly to size to 1/8" second grizzly to get to 1/16th". 3" fluid bed beneath for actual concentrating.

Have a feeling I'd need a clamshell style gate on the hopper, regulate flow give myself some occasional chances to catch my breath and stretch the back. Goal being shovel direct to highbanker. Eliminate the  inbetween classification. Technically this is 12x24" there's room for more if I go with one of those SxS kids trailers - and it would be largely out of sight of the morons who like to call the cops.

Will they notice hozes/water running? Who knows. But reduces visibility quite nicely I'd think.
Real question is how big to make that fluid bed and how to ensure feed rate doesn't overwhelm it. And that takes me off to do more research I'm guessing there has to be some tech info on fluid bed and feed rate somewhere?

Offline CLHaddon

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
If you're having problems with people calling the RCMP/COs on you and you're working on your own claim then use whatever you want to use and call the local RCMP unit and let them know that you'll be out there and if anyone calls it in they already know your side of it and won't waste their time coming out there.  Couple phone calls will save a lot of time/hassle. Doesn't matter what your sluice looks like, if you're shoveling into it then it's pretty easy to figure out whats going on

Offline Hephaestus

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 01:11:01 PM »
Oh, that was first try... The econuts call it in as damaging the environment, so they always respond even when it's me and a pan.

Happened again this morning. 2 Pans and a shovel. 2hours or so in, RCMP attend on the fire dept airboat this time. 45+ min stop and chat while we go over the Queen's press printout, that I don't need a license but have one. And am following the rules.

No such thing as a claim in Alberta.

I know I'm not their favorite person, nasty divorce had way too many visits from them. But I didn't cause trouble for them.

Coming up just shy of 1.6g today - so I can't complain too much ;) maybe dug a little harder being (censored) off and cooled off by the airboat lol.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:28 PM »
Hmmm.Something not right.If you are doing things all legal like nobody has the right to run you off.What are they complaining about?Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Hephaestus

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 02:24:32 AM »
Not being run off, just a matter of the police attending every time.

Not sure if it's because of hippies, econuts, unconventional nature - probably the only one working this river... Not even mentioned anywhere on this forum.

I know there's been complaints about environmental concerns, but like I said - following the rules, never been a single concern raised by the officers (not that any have a clue) just that they have had complaints.

Offline J-Bear

• J-Bear
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »
I would suggest a throw screen at 3/4 square mesh on a 45 degree angle. Then use a rubber maid container and a Gold Hog flow pan.
The throw screen will allow you to immediately backfill your diggings. No pump required and the flow pan can process the 3/4 minus .
No real environmental foot print, no pump, no noise.
J - Bear

Offline Hephaestus

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »
Interesting, that flow pan was new to me. I think I need to fund the investment in one next. How does it do on Alberta flour gold?

If I could halve my panning time that would definitely help.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat