collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 131 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12710
  • stats Total Posts: 125988
  • stats Total Topics: 17573
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan

Author Topic: Gold in shale fossil?  (Read 275 times)

Offline Kay

• New user
  • Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 0
Gold in shale fossil?
« on: July 06, 2018, 09:35:38 AM »
I was doing a little fossil hunting in a construction site  and after about an hour of breaking rocks I found something I haven't seen before ....I'm not sure if it's gold or a part of the fossil which must of had gold on it .I'm not really sure ,and my metal dector is broken....any thoughts?

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 100
Re: Gold in shale fossil?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
Hi.Kay welcome to the site.Takes to posts to become a member.Say anything.As to your question.Simply hit the yellow with a hammer gold does not break.If it breaks it is pyrite.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline nite hawk

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
gold in shale is not common but possible..
Years ago an old hard rock miner showed us some gold in gray  / black shale just like what you have in the picture. He said he picked it up in the Chilliwack lake area.  Think he said it was in a military area so couldn't mine it. Probably would have gotten in trouble for even being there..
 I have a witness  to what what he said and showed us. Never ever heard of such a thing before, and have never seen anything like it since..
I don't know if what you have is gold or not, could crush it and pan it..

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 158
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:23:42 PM »
Most likely sulphides as they are common  in shales and cold water deposits as replacements of carbon materials. Gold CAN come out of solution onto carbon in shale but the circumstances  are very rare. As others have said take a small piece and place it on an anvil like base and give it a  tap with a hammer. Sulphides will crush - gold will flatten. Even if it is sulphide it is darned cool. Watch for fossils of sulphides where the sulphide was the fossil making mineral. Makes some very interesting specimens.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Gear Pan