collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 148 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12790
  • stats Total Posts: 127188
  • stats Total Topics: 17780
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Chalcopyrite?  (Read 423 times)

Offline BillOfRights

• Province/State: labrador
  • Kudos: 0
Chalcopyrite?
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:29:06 PM »
Hi guys, thought I'd share some pictures of discoveries from last week.
 <-thinking->

Offline BillOfRights

Re: Chalcopyrite?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:07:58 AM »

Offline tonofsteel

• Province/State: SK
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »
Interesting samples there, did you try testing them?

Offline BillOfRights

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »
Not as of yet. But maybe in the near future. It sure does look interesting with those beautiful colors. Never seen a gossan with a mineralisation quite like this one. My hope would be for a massive sulphide deposit with hydrothermal alteration. The matrix looks like a  mica schist/quartz or biotite/quartz. There is also a strong presence of what look like pink garnet around the mineralised matrix.
All of the pictures you see were taken aroud a 10 meters radius. Highly metamorphic stuff that have seen a lot of pressure and heat.

The magnetic anomaly is around 1km in diameter in somewhat circular shape. Other occurences of such anomalies in proximity look also promising.

I did a streak test for the chalcopyrite looking mineral and it is probably just that, on most of the shiny inclusion in the rock. The streak were a dull grey. Fracture is concoidal. However, on certain spot it does look a  bit too shiny to be chalcopyrite. You would maybe expect brass looking colors tarnished a bit around a very oxydized cleavage. It resemble more gold tellurides. Pehaps calaverite for those specfic inclusion. Because it is very shiny and untarnished as you can see in the pictures.

I am fairly confident the big silvery shiny flakes are molybdenite from what I can tell.  It is very soft and bendy, without any springyness. The crystals are hexagonal, simliar to what we can expect for this mineral.

I'll have to contact an expert in my region to get further insight and also get the sample to be assayed.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat