collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 147 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12958
  • stats Total Posts: 129952
  • stats Total Topics: 18176
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Need Suggestions on Dealing with Large Collection  (Read 945 times)

Offline JMartin25

• New user
  • Province/State: ON
  • Kudos: 0
Need Suggestions on Dealing with Large Collection
« on: June 04, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »
Hi everyone! I know this forum is not for selling purposes. My grandfather was a very active rockhound and with his passing my family has been left with a huge collection of mining related items, mainly Ontario based. These items include mining reports, large rocks with mainly silver deposits and mining resources and maps. Many of these items are quite old in age with some of the reports dating back to the early 1900s. My family has no idea what to do with this collection but we don't want to throw it away as this was my grandfather's livelihood. If anyone could please make suggestions on how we can deal with this it would be much appreciated. We are based in Eastern Ontario.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
Re: Need Suggestions on Dealing with Large Collection
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »
Hi.There is a forum member goes by sunshine hardly evervisits this site any more.His name is greg he lives in Ont.He is big into searching all the old silver mines.He has a you tube site called(meMiner) Click on that and send him a message. I am sure he would be interested in what you have.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Langley BC
  • Kudos: 25
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
Many areas have Museums that have mining displays, I am sure your grandfather would like others to see his items donated so they can enjoy his hard work.

Good Luck !!!

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
I am in Port Perry and rockhound quite a bit in eastern Ontario.  I also metal detect in Cobalt for the silver.  I would love to look it over, but am not an expert. 

Off the top of my head, there are a few options. 

Selling the collection in part or whole:
1) eBay - put the items individually for auction.  Probably, use ebay.com rather than ebay.ca.  This might get you retail price.
2) There are people interested in this sort of thing, but many will try to take advantage of someone's lack of knowledge.  There are only two names of experts that I could recommend, knowing they would be fair.  This would get you wholesale price.
3) There is a rock and mineral club in Peterborough.  Perhaps, you could bring your stuff to one of their meetings.   I suspect they would find it interesting and would allow you to sell.   I belong to that club. 
4) I can think of a few mines near Bancroft that have gift shops that might be interested in purchasing a good collection.

Donate:
1) Bancroft Museum
2) UofT Geology Dept.
3) Cobalt Museum

I could ask around for you for other ideas.  A picture(s) or inventory would be helpful.  You can contact me here with a PM or email [email protected]

Greig
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Bailer

• New user
  • Province/State: Ontario
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
Hello. I would be interested in just taking a look over what he has. Also, there are many universities that might enjoy the donation. When I pass away, I plan on leaving my collection to the University of Waterloo as I will have no one to leave it to. When you say Eastern Ontario, do you mean the Ottawa valley?

Offline UraniumGirl

• Province/State: BC
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »
Rick Dalrymple is a friend of mine and he collects exactly what you have. He's one of the foremost US mineral dealers and I would like to share this with him, if it's OK with you. I'm not sure how to go about this, but if you want to message me or if you just want to look up his name in Taylorsville, UT or look at the Rock Pick Legend Facebook page, you can get into contact with him. He's a super nice guy and I know he would be thrilled to have some of those things, especially pertaining to mining. Thanks!