collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

BCGQC

Dot Guests: 137 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12665
  • stats Total Posts: 125479
  • stats Total Topics: 17479
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: My new highbanker up / running and tested  (Read 449 times)

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 3
My new highbanker up / running and tested
« on: May 07, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
Stayed home this weekend,  got my new equipment all up and running and some test runs done.   All ready for next weekend.

https://youtu.be/gAnBPkRbzpk

https://youtu.be/rQiLJ20Np5k

Hopefully links work,  I tried to post attachments and they kept failing.

Online graeme1955

• Province/State: chilliwack bc
  • Kudos: 2
Re: My new highbanker up / running and tested
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »
Looks like a real sweet setup, did you build it your self?

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
No I did not make this myself,  although I could have and maybe should have.  I have a ton of fabrication experience and my metal shop could likely easily have copied something out there on the market but I found the internet research not specific enough to the type of places I will be working and there were way too many opinions out there. 

I stuck with something using Gold Hog Matting and can always make modifications to suit my needs.   

I used this logic:  Someone that has made 10 of them,  might not be 10x better at it than I am, but they certainly should have eliminated some of the errors.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is not my day-job, it is a hobby and I could easily spend 20 hours making something and then fine tuning it,  but then that's 20 hours I am not out there playing and with a busy job and family,  I'd rather not be inventing.     Ask me again in a year and I might have a different opinion.

I tried to avoid all the really commercialized stuff and anything really gimmicky.  Its a pretty simple system, and seems to work fine.  I need to get up and see McBain and calibrate the flow a bit possibly....  and run some dirt with actual potential through it as all I had for testing was a few buckets from a friends gravel pit.

#funtimes

Offline cabbott

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
You go back to that gravel pit and look for the sand bin with a screw augur used to raise the sand onto a conveyor belt. They dump sand in and pull it out, but it seems the little bits of gold are heavier than the sand and they like to stay in the box. If there is anything in that pit, you will find something in the sand box.

A friend had access to a concrete plant that used dredged up Fraser river sand delivered by barge.  He did okay there.

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »
Sure...  I was wondering which pile of their classified material I should be playing with.
They had everything from Playground sand to Boulders.    I have free rein to play, but didn't really expect much.

<_miner_>

Offline mike(swWash)

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:56:56 PM »
1 small suggestion.
In the very beginning of the long video I see rooster tailing on the mat riffle (air bubble that doesn't go away), I'd lower the sluice angle just enough for it to go away. Air filled riffles won't catch gold. Other than that it looks like a great set up  {cool^sign}

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »
Thanks Mike,  all feedback is always appreciated.

The setup has a cheap bullet level to correctly set up for the mats as per GoldHog math,  I was roughly 4 Degrees steeper,  which made a huge difference.

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »
Well.  It catches fine stuff. 

So glad to get some real onsite testing done!

945C1B6C-7F4A-49CC-AF49-DADC9E6D57C2.jpeg

Thanks Mcbain for your help.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 94
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »
Most welcome.Something I want to add.Do not know if that was the first or second run Does not matter but there is gold so fine in that pan you need a mag glass to see it.Some went into the safety pan for later clean up.I do not know if Chad timed the panning but you see was washed out of about 3 cups of black sand in about 15 minutes.Totally clean.(no chemicals needed).Second we proved his new set up using G.H. matt does not lose visible gold.Point being if you can not see it do you really want it.Rock on Doc.If you are not getting gold useing G.H. matts you do not have any gold.Just saying Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
I didn't film more than a few 4-5 second bursts.   However Mark is spot on,   30 mins or so of materials handling through the highbanker produced roughly 3 cups of black sand and gold.  This material was panned out by Mark,  but the whole process was less then 10 mins.   Left in the pan was just little flakes,  flour and some wirey looking gold,  anything washed out gets caught in the 2nd pan for later consideration.

We did a second run,  which was more productive,   my pump kept clogging on run #1 due to some poor setup on my part.

The Gold Hog mats worked excellent,  amazing how fine some of that gold was.

Looking forward to next weekend,  however were we are headed the flooding might make things difficult.

In the attached photo you can see what we started with.

COq 2.jpg