collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

suburbanator

Dot Guests: 125 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12772
  • stats Total Posts: 126855
  • stats Total Topics: 17713
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner

Author Topic: Platinum in a Highbanker  (Read 1440 times)

Offline sawdust

• Province/State: Fraser Canyon/British Columbia
  • Kudos: 8
Platinum in a Highbanker
« on: February 06, 2018, 03:55:23 PM »
I`m slowly working my way through about 150 lbs. of paydirt from the Tulameen  in the highbanker in the garage and I was wondering if someone can give me some tips on identification, characteristics and and platinum`s movement in relation to gold in the highbanker. I think it`s a light grey colour and is fairly heavy. But unsure. I`d hate to be washing it away. The paydirt has so much black sand in it, it plugs up my gold hogg matts quickly, I`m feeding it slowly with about 2250 gpm, 8" wide, and about a 8.25 degree angle. Any tips?, this is not going well.

Offline DirtHogg

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Kudos: 21
    • DirtHogg Paydirt
Re: Platinum in a Highbanker
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »
Why would you be running the material slowly?150 lbs is nothing for a highbanker,perhaps you mean clean up sluice?.You would be in a closed loop,as in catching your material and being able to run again..Pt or any other heavys will easily get caught in miners moss.Nothing really should make it past the top of sluice.Run it again.Pt from your area is typically very small,unless you are extremely lucky,even then most will be very small whitish to gray color.It will always hang with the other heavy's.No matter what capture system.Ton of black sand can be made easier to deal with each time using a large magnet to remove the magnetics.With these magnetics removed to another pan or bucket these cons can be panned or millered or what have you.It will save a lot of grief.One must also come to the realization that if there is only 10 cents of Au or Pt,what is the cutoff time.But really running your material a couple of times is a easy thing.Your just lucky that your cons are not loaded with garnet,then the problems begin.Good Luck keep us posted.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 114
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:41:36 PM »
Hi.Sawdust.Plat is heavier than gold.so if you are getting gold you are not washing out plat.Sounds like you are running 150lps of concentrate heavy too black sands..Very heavy on the black.You are running gold hog matts.With that amount of black sand 37gpm is not enough.I think you got to get up over 50gpm. min.to get that black sand moving.Just a thought.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska and Idaho in the Winter
  • Kudos: 62
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
Sawdust,

Generally 100 GPH per inch of width.  Some of that comes right down to the styles of mats you are using.  "Low 'n Slow" (less water and flatter box) is a recipe for disaster - including packed Hog mats.  Check these out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWvPTOosgw

http://www.goldandgemgazette.com/forum/common-questions-and-answers/what-pitch-should-i-run-tuning/#post-1276

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 41
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »
The Tulameen has had reports of native platinum. Normally flaky or small nuggets if in crystals should be cubic. Specific gravity is too close to  gold to generally have much success with gravity separation. In raw form normally 14 - 19 but pure 21.4. May have iron traces giving weak-magnetic properties. Unlike most sulfide black sands it is ductile , malleable and softer.  In hardness about 3.5 on mohs scale harder than gold silver and normal aluminium but softer than steel and apatite (teeth)

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Similkameen Mining District
  • Kudos: 25
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:30:26 PM »
I have posted Tulameen platinum pics in the past but they seem to be long gone, even in my personal files.
Tulameen platinum can be from a bright shiny silver to a shiny lead color, also can be round brown/grey pieces with bumps shined up . It is usually rounded due to its hardness.
Platinum is about 10% heavier than gold (pure) so it stays in pan longer than gold.
Best to screen your concentrates to size and pan each size slowly. 150 pounds is a fair bit but screening will eliminate lots. The heavy black sands will drive you bonkers - I have resorted to panning a tablespoon at a time.
Here is a pic of some small stuff that is representative of what you will find.
Sorry for the quality but its dark out so this is in fake light.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska and Idaho in the Winter
  • Kudos: 62
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 12:07:53 AM »
I don't see that much Platinum - ever - but the light shining reflections on the larger picture seem to make it metallic and that looks consistent with Platinum as I have (infrequently) found it.   Sometimes angular, sometimes globular, sometimes lighter grey.  Sometimes slightly magnetic (using Neo Magnet) if the Platinum is alloyed with a little Iron.   

The big things are: Specific Gravity (somewhere about 23) and if that is +- correct then non reactive with room temperature acids.   Another characteristic would be reluctance to (usually) deform by being crushed in the teeth of pliers.  Very high melting point of 3,200 deg F is a good one for identification.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Melting+temp+of+Platinum&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum

I'd save every bit of it!

Joe

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Similkameen Mining District
  • Kudos: 25
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »
What you have in the pan looks like pit run.

lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@*

Try this photo I put in a LARGE penny for reference

lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@*

Gear Pan
Gold Rat