collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 103 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12772
  • stats Total Posts: 126848
  • stats Total Topics: 17712
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner

Author Topic: Backpack drill  (Read 984 times)

Offline Frog

• Province/State: Bc
  • Kudos: 0
Backpack drill
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
Hi I am new to hardrock mining . Only done placer be fore. Where the rules regarding a small backpack drill to take core samples. Do you need a NOW? Is it the same rules basically as placer only hand tools? thanks

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 41
Re: Backpack drill
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »
Pretty much the same. Almost any activity that involves ground work with any machine requires a NOW. The small placer, 1.5 pump exemption is part of the Environmental Management Act called the
"Placer Mining Waste Control Regulation"

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 114
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:56:50 PM »
Hi Frog.I do not think you would have a problem using a back pack  drill.It is basically a hand tool.It is alot of work to apply for a Now and a back pack drill would only confuse them.The rules have many grey areas and are open to common sence.Now if you were to attach that drill to a machine it would be a different story.That being said do it until it is written in stone that you can not.Sometimes our questions can create a new ball of unwanted worms <-frustrated->.Luck ,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 41
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
Hi Frog.I do not think you would have a problem using a back pack  drill.It is basically a hand tool.It is alot of work to apply for a Now and a back pack drill would only confuse them.The rules have many grey areas and are open to common sence.Now if you were to attach that drill to a machine it would be a different story.That being said do it until it is written in stone that you can not.Sometimes our questions can create a new ball of unwanted worms <-frustrated->.Luck ,Mcbain.
  Mark I agree with your concept but only in my dreams.
In the 70's I would pack a couple  of cases of dynamite and an Atlas Copco motorized hand drill in the back of the pickup and drill and blast to my hearts content on a lead silver strike in the Ainsworth area.
No permits needed. That was then. Now the major fanatic religion here in BC is nature worship and if the MTO let us do, what we did then, they would be stoned to death.
The BC Mining act and the BC MTO site is explicit that permits are needed for any kind of drilling.  That sucks but that the way it is done. 
There are a few rules in Hockey today I do not care for but as they say - -  if you want to play the game . . .

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »
Hi.Geezer I like your way of looking at things and agree with you.I would never recommend the use of explosives with out a permit and a blasters certificate.That could get you thrown in jail.On the other hand I find it a lot easier not to ask questions about alot of things they are not sure about.I was a govert. employee once and know how some of them work.I have seen to many guys on power trips twist and bend things to thier own distorted little world.You know were I am coming from.Good post.Luck,Mcbain.

Offline anteek

• Kudos: 10
  • Anteek
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »

Hi Mark, You are correct the Backpack drill is basically a hand tool simply because it is portable and you have to use your hands to exert a constant pressure on the drill in order to make it work. In my opinion it is no more a mechanical tool then a chainsaw is.  ;)

I just purchased a Shaw 41mm Backpack core drill and fully intend to use it on all my claims reports mineral and placer alike. 

Anteek <_miner_>

Offline bruno

• Province/State: Coquitlam
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
Hi Anteek.
I just purchased the 41mm Backpack Drill last month, and have used it a few times. I find that the rock I am drilling is really hard on the drill bits. The first one I used cracked
on the first day of use, The second one is wearing down really fast. The rock I am drilling in is some granite, some quartz, and others in shear zones. Shaw gave 2 new bits, after cracking the first one, under warranty, I'm hoping the new ones are made with a tougher media. The bits are really expensive to replace, so I need to find ones that will last a lot longer.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:15:19 PM »
Hi guys I had a chiansaw operated drill in the shop for years.A old guy used to bug me about it.We had no idea who it belonged to.He was in one day with a bunch of cash in hand.I did not take his money.I told him to drive round back and threw it in his truck with strict orders to take it some where else for repairs.The old boy had tears in his eyes and I got rid of apiece of iron that was just in the way.I hope he got some use out of it. Luck Mcbain.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat