collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mentalcoincoinKnuckleBusteru3o8

Dot Guests: 198 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12696
  • stats Total Posts: 125755
  • stats Total Topics: 17529
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: using magnets to attract gold  (Read 3121 times)

Offline flake

• Province/State: Sask
  • Kudos: 5
Re: using magnets to attract gold
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »
Is that true,or did you hear it on the CBC ?

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 39
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 09:20:04 PM »
When a conductor moves though a magnetic field  an electromotive force (emf) measured in volts is produced. If the conductor is a wire (coil) the electricity produced can be released and harnessed.
 If the conductor is not a wire but a shape such that the emf can't escape emf eddy currents are created in the conductor, in planes perpendicular to the magnetic field.  When a magnet is dropped down a non-magnetic conductive tube, the changing magnetic field created by the falling magnet pushes electrons around in circular, eddy-like currents. These eddy currents have their own magnetic field that opposes the fall of the magnet. The magnet falls dramatically slower than it does in ordinary free fall inside a non-conductive tube.  In the case of a conductor rolling through a magnetic field the conductor slows down due to the eddy currents produced.

In the case of copper-washers around a magnetic core. Electromagnetic or magnetic induction is the production of an electromotive force (i.e., voltage) across an electrical conductor in a changing magnetic field.  This principal was discovered in the early 1800's.

In the induction heating devices, a coil of copper wire is placed under the cooking pot and an alternating electric current is passed through it. The resulting oscillating magnetic field induces a magnetic flux which repeatedly magnetises the pot. This produces large eddy currents in the pot, which because of the resistance of the pot, heats it. So yes much the same

A non-ferrous conductor is not attracted or repelled by a magnetic field. But a conductor passing through a magnetic field creates an electric current that has a magnetic property that opposes the magnetic field. An aluminum disk next to a rotating magnet creating a variable emf were used for speedometers until they were replaced by digital units.   

Offline gordmanca

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Does anyone have a proof of concept video, or are we just talking about theories?
Self made Bullionaire.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska and Idaho in the Winter
  • Kudos: 62
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 39
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »
Does anyone have a proof of concept video, or are we just talking about theories?
The visual effect came first then people like Faraday, Maxwell , Lenz and others explained the phenomenon. When the magnet is stationary there is no effect. Only when the magnet is moving is an emf created. The faster the motion the greater the emf. When the magnet stars to fall and accelerate the emf  increases and due to Lenz's  Law "the direction of current induced in a conductor by a changing magnetic field due to induction is such that it creates a magnetic field that opposes the change that produced it."  This slows the fall of the magnet. When the speed is reduced the emf and resistance is reduced until an equilibrium is reached. (terminal velocity)
As stated by Lewis Carroll, " Curiouser and curiouser! Cried Alice  DEVIL&??

Magnets create electricity and electricity creates magnetic fields.

The video links provided by Joe show the  phenomenon clearly.

Offline leadshot

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: CT, USA
  • Kudos: 1
  • Gold Stinger,Electronic MFD and Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »
I built an underwater sub-dredge similar to Regie Gould's. I have put magnets in the rear nugget trap to slow down the larger gold going through the trap. By slowing the gold down, it allows gravity to drag the gold down. Most or all of the black sand is caught earlier in the slotted classifier(sub8). However, i get a little black sand collecting in the magnetic riffles. In case you are wondering, the magnets are attached externally. When the dredging is done I release the magnets and the remaining internal heavies drop out of the trap.

I was skeptical until I made a test apparatus to test the breaking effect of magnets(eddy effect). I made a 12" long plastic pendulum with Kinects (plastic erector set-great for modeling) suspended in a plastic frame. I hot glues a small piece of lead (magnetically same as gold)to the bottom as a weight. You push the pendulum and it swings back and forth as slow comes to a rest as expected. I then glued a super magnet to the frame below but not touching the magnet. When you swing the pendulum now- the lead stops instantly. This is caused by the induced (eddy effect) electrical-But opposite mag field in the lead and you have magnetic breaking of the non-ferous metal. The gold will not be attracted to the magnet, but the golds speed passing by the magnet will trmendously reduced or stopped. Then just let gravity do its work and let the gold drop into the trap.

Nugget Trap1.jpgNugget Trap2.jpgNugget Trap3.jpg

Offline gordmanca

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 08:03:51 PM »
Self made Bullionaire.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 96
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »
HMMM.2500 years and magnets do not work in the sluice box.Everybody has tried.Not to say in the future when we discover Dilithmium and  <-sealed_>lithium crystals and travel the universe in split seconds that we will not find something to attract gold and make us all rich for another split second.If we ever find dilithmium gold will be worthless.Just a thought.Luck,Mcbain.

No cuss words, please, forum policy. 
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline gordmanca

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »
HMMM.2500 years and magnets do not work in the sluice box.Everybody has tried.Not to say in the future when we discover Dilithmium <-sealed_> crystals and travel the universe in split seconds that we will not find something to attract gold and make us all rich for another split second.If we ever find dilithmium gold will be worthless.Just a thought.Luck,Mcbain.
To freak'in funny Mark,  <-sealed_> dilithmium <-laugh->. Now we have to find a way of attracting  <-sealed_> with a magnet lol!!!@*

No cuss words, please, forum policy. 
Self made Bullionaire.

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »
I built an underwater sub-dredge similar to Regie Gould's. I have put magnets in the rear nugget trap to slow down the larger gold going through the trap. By slowing the gold down, it allows gravity to drag the gold down. Most or all of the black sand is caught earlier in the slotted classifier(sub8). However, i get a little black sand collecting in the magnetic riffles. In case you are wondering, the magnets are attached externally. When the dredging is done I release the magnets and the remaining internal heavies drop out of the trap.

I was skeptical until I made a test apparatus to test the breaking effect of magnets(eddy effect). I made a 12" long plastic pendulum with Kinects (plastic erector set-great for modeling) suspended in a plastic frame. I hot glues a small piece of lead (magnetically same as gold)to the bottom as a weight. You push the pendulum and it swings back and forth as slow comes to a rest as expected. I then glued a super magnet to the frame below but not touching the magnet. When you swing the pendulum now- the lead stops instantly. This is caused by the induced (eddy effect) electrical-But opposite mag field in the lead and you have magnetic breaking of the non-ferous metal. The gold will not be attracted to the magnet, but the golds speed passing by the magnet will trmendously reduced or stopped. Then just let gravity do its work and let the gold drop into the trap.

Nugget Trap1.jpgNugget Trap2.jpgNugget Trap3.jpg
It's a nice build, and the "braking effect" is true. The problem is that the braking effect also applies to the vertical motion of the gold. In other words, gold that is not in a magnetic field sinks faster than gold that is in a magnetic field. So, the effects cancel.
Jim