collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

suburbanator

Dot Guests: 124 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12772
  • stats Total Posts: 126855
  • stats Total Topics: 17713
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner

Author Topic: Weird metal looking nuggets found, what could it be?  (Read 4454 times)

Offline tonofsteel

• Province/State: SK
  • Kudos: 8
Re: Weird metal looking nuggets found, what could it be?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
So I found some time today to find/source/build the crusher and then crush some of the samples mentioned in the original posts.  The first two I tried to crush turned out to have no visible gold, but I save all the black sands anyways.  I am interested in what gustavus is up to and maybe there is something more that can be done here.

The crusher is 1 foot of 2" pipe with cap to hold the sample with a 4 foot 1" capped pipe to provide the crushing.  I decided on that so the pipes weight could do a bit of the work by gravity alone.  After using the first time I LOL'd remembering a post on here where someone else was going to do something similar and a comment was made that it is a royal pain and is not very appealing.  Yes, I can confirm that if you want to crush it is a lot of work even for small rocks.  I was aiming for 50 mesh and smaller though so I am not sure what the target was for others.  I ended up crushing, putting through a 50 mesh classifier and then crushing again whatever didn't go through and did this 3 times.

After panning out the crushed material:
ResPanC.jpg

And the closeups of some of the pieces:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So now at version 2.0 of the experiment at least here there is SG on my side as these pieces were left at the end of the pan.  They also were left after washing away the pipe shards that end up in here from the pounding so they have to be heavy.  They definitely come in direct contact with the crusher as they are flattened/not shattered and the silver sheen on them is from the galvanized pipe transfer to them. 

So now that I crushed and panned the rocks there is SG on the objective side of figuring things out.  The pieces got pummeled by a ghetto mortar and pestle and did not shatter so that is another sign.

Could this actually be gold?

Offline DirtHogg

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Kudos: 21
    • DirtHogg Paydirt
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 05:10:38 PM »
I disagree on the Electrum,as the silverish coating he says is the galvanized coating from the pipe.I would hit a piece with a torch
map/gas.See what happens.Very easy to contaminate sample with the pipe beater system.Also one might soak in simple murianic acid from hardware store.This might clean it up a bit.Interesting stuff. {cool^sign}

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 158
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »
First test I would do is with a magnet.
Next with a knife blade  pressing down to see if it is soft or hard
Next is a quick streak test on some unglazed white porcelain

Those might narrow it down quick -then as mentioned some chemical tests -even vinegar heated up might show you something interesting moving up to muriatic as next step up. Zinc will react with hot vinegar and certainly with muriatic.

The list of potential metals will usually reveal the winner matching the look  with those fast tests.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat