collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 139 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12757
  • stats Total Posts: 126564
  • stats Total Topics: 17656
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner

Author Topic: Fraser river. Boothroyd  (Read 2458 times)

Offline -PeterPan-

• Province/State: Bc
  • Kudos: 1
Fraser river. Boothroyd
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
Just wondering your guys thoughts on mining with an excavator on the fraser and how big can you go with placer mining. My claim is good till 2020 the west side is showing better signs of color and is easier to access. I would still have to build a little bit of a road. Or should I buy a claim up in tulameen in stead for what Iím after.

All opinions welcome.

Offline -PeterPan-

Re: Fraser river. Boothroyd
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Good to know. Maybe tulameen or quesnel are better options. I would love to buy some land and rights up in the Yukon maybe after the kids grow up. Lol

Offline -PeterPan-

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
Definitely agree. Just trying to get some ground to run and prospect is the hardest part so far. It seems every claim is owned and the only way is to be on the ball at 10:00 and hope they forget to renew

Offline -PeterPan-

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »
I live in aldergrove but I am willing to drive anywhere.

Offline johnedoe

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:30:09 AM »
 <~ShOcK~> Reality rears it's ugly head..... <-shock_>
Great write up there Blue Clay..... [-1st-]
So many people don't consider the reality of mining .

Offline -PeterPan-

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »
And cn and cp rail are so close to the fraser I wouldnít want to mess with them. I wonder how deep they went at hills bar back in the day. I understand the whole alluvial fan principle after hells gate and the canyon. I canít help but wonder is thereís still some old fraser riverbed  untouched.

Offline johnedoe

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »
<~ShOcK~> Reality rears it's ugly head..... <-shock_>
Great write up there Blue Clay..... [-1st-]
So many people don't consider the reality of mining .
Thank you Johnedoe. I really appreciate that. Great youtube vids by the way!

Thank's Blue Clay...
My vids are just little snippets from some beach mining I do.
Oh and a few business related vids for some folks on a dental forum.
Anyway I as you can tell am just a hobby miner that goes to the beach for some of that fine flour gold...
As much as I think I would like to be a miner sometimes reality differs.
Where I live the beach is close and it gets me off the couch for a little exercise and at least gas money most of the time and maybe even a little extra occasionally.
Meaningful gold territory is not really close enough to me to be practical since I have a business to run that takes more of my time than I would like sometimes. But hey... It's all good and I get a little color for my modest requirements.
Hang in there and heavy pans. 8)

gold one

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 05:40:43 AM »
Good write up Blue clay...still today you see some folks spending thousands on ground that wasn't tested properly.
I've seen or heard of lots of folks going broke...on their dream of finding a  paying gold miners dream. Im too old (and lazy)  to sit and explain the fundamentals that I know , like you did,
 Now I read and smile to myself...being there...done that.
Luckily I never wasted money testing ground, I would sink shafts by hand to bedrock. All I wasted was my time. <-wave->

Offline kosoca

• Province/State: Cariboo, BC
  • Kudos: 14
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
Good write up Blue clay...still today you see some folks spending thousands on ground that wasn't tested properly.
I've seen or heard of lots of folks going broke...on their dream of finding a  paying gold miners dream. Im too old (and lazy)  to sit and explain the fundamentals that I know , like you did,
 Now I read and smile to myself...being there...done that.
Luckily I never wasted money testing ground, I would sink shafts by hand to bedrock. All I wasted was my time. <-wave->

Unfortunately, for some, time can often be a more limiting resource than money.  Might make better financial sense for some to punch a bunch of bunch of test holes over the course of a few days with an excavator and test a yard or two each hole, than hand digging all those holes and sluicing a few buckets over the course of who knows how long.

I know its all fine and dandy to glamorize the styles of D'arcy and the like with years of camping out and hand digging on the cheap, but I realize that it may not be realistic for many. 

I agree that going broke on a pipedream is silly.  But spending thousands on testing is not, if the means are available.  Much more is spent by average guys buying/fixing/maintaining/gearing up a couple of $25k+ mountain snowmachines, or $100k+ boats, or hunting trips/rigs/guns/gear, to only use them a few times a year.  At least the older heavy equipment doesn't really depreciate much if taken care of.

gold one

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 01:55:15 AM »
When I started shaft sinking ( mid 70's), I had no extra money to buy an excavator.  So I did what the earlier miners did. <_miner_>

I would spend the weekends out at the claim, away from the bunkhouse I was living at . I built a small cabin right over the shaft.
I quit that shaft because of the large amounts of water coming in.

It was 25 years later that I bought an excavator for testing.
But...its not a simple project getting a hoe to the spot you want to sample., usually.
The loggers have cleared alot now .

Ps...you can't build a cabin any more !
Update....I guess you can build a temporary shelter in bc and yukon .

Gear Pan
Gold Rat