collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 233 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130581
  • stats Total Topics: 18275
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Making your Garret carrot or any other PI pinpointer more sensetive  (Read 1715 times)

Offline AirCanada

• Province/State: Bc
  • Kudos: 2
Should we explain how PI works or get right to the point... no pun intended

Offline AirCanada

Re: Making your Garret carrot or any other PI pinpointer more sensetive
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »
Falcon MD lol luv that 300kHz wand... this trick will not work on that unit, but it will work on your Garrett black pointer.

Offline AirCanada

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:35:44 PM »
To make this really simple, I'll use the analogy of a glass of water.  Now your pinpointer is an empty small glass.  Water comes by and fills that glass, what spills over the top is when your detector vibrates, flashes beeps or what ever combination you have.  the water being metal...  Now if the water that it comes across, (metal), is not enough to fill the glass, the pinpointer will do nothing.  Because there is no spill over.... Soooo the trick is to preload your glass, or fill it 3/4 full or more, but not spilling over.  Then when you come across the little bit of water, (metal), its enough to add to your almost full glass and spill over "Beep Beep .. Buzz Buzz".

I found a video on You tube of someone who can demonstrate the trick.  I will try to upload the link.

Offline AirCanada

Offline AirCanada

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Good demo to show you what happens if you "fill the glass" before detecting something.  You see the guy move the penny on the handle up until the pin pointer just starts detecting the penny.  Then he moves it back just a bit after detection.  Now its 3/4 full, so any more water (metal) will make it spill over "Buzz Buzz, blink blink". The on a penny is 5-8 mm, the gain in detection size is considerably more as a reduction of the size of the object.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 10:36:55 AM »
You trust someone's video with such a clean pinpointer?  LOL 

I will try a test to see if I can repeat the experiment.  It is an interesting tip for sure, but I immediately wonder a couple of things.  Why the manufacturer doesn't put some copper at the bottom of the battery compartment to make the pinpointer more sensitive?   Would this be helpful in the field or too sensitive?
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline bruno

• Province/State: Coquitlam
  • Kudos: 14
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
This really does work, As a test I  turned on my pin pointer and then placed a piece of metal
along the handle until it started to sound off, then moved it back slightly. I then took the pointer up
by my mouth and ran along my face and it sounded off on the tooth that has a metal pin to hold in a crown. There are no metal fillings in my teeth. I then ran the pointer over my heart and sure enough it sounded off where there are 3 stents in the arteries. Normally the pin pointer does nothing over these areas. It is much more sensitive with the metal strip along the handle.