* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

gold oneCMMC

Dot Guests: 122 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12628
  • stats Total Posts: 124879
  • stats Total Topics: 17383
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Petrified wood with loose individual fibers.  (Read 1666 times)

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 88
Re: Petrified wood with loose individual fibers.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »
Hi.Sunshine.Me thinks you could burn peterfied wood with a cutting torch.Asbestos on the other hand is not supposed to burn,any thing is possible with the right heat but this does not fit.Glad to see you back on the site.We need your input.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 157
Re: Petrified wood with loose individual fibers.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:12 PM »
Yes I would go with petrified wood as well. I have seen some specimens from Alberta that would be ringers for it but that one has really well preserved fibers. As you know fossils can be in several forms including casts of the original and replacements of the original and a combination of that.
It appears that the original wood was invaded and mineralized fiber by fiber at least for part of the formation. Each fiber of wood being invaded and replaced by mineralization.  Wood species plays a part in that as well as some have more open grain allowing easier penetration of mineralized fluids. The conditions forming it would have been very special compared to how most is formed.
Very nice specimen - don't lose it!
As an aside the minerals that have invaded it are not going to burn though you do find carbonized wood in coal and near coal seams that have all or part of their makeup as coal. That one from the sound is most likely much harder -silica- opaline silicas and calcite perhaps.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!