collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Woodspirit

Dot Guests: 130 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129928
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Petrified wood with loose individual fibers.  (Read 3592 times)

Offline DRock

• Kudos: 0
Petrified wood with loose individual fibers.
« on: August 20, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »
I found this specimen in a dry portion of a river bed. Have any of you ever seen a piece of petrified wood that looks like this? I'll add a link to a video proving that it is mineral and not just a piece of wood. 

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9699.jpg

IMG_9698.jpg

IMG_9700.jpg

IMG_9701.jpg

Offline DRock

• Kudos: 0
Re: Petrified wood with loose individual fibers.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »
Hi.I do not think it is petrefied wood.It is metallic.I am thinking more along the lines of some rare form of Asbestoes,due to the fibers.Just a thought could be won of those rare earth metals that build spaceships.Now that is another thought?Native to earth or not?Does anybody else have this stuff.????? and how much do you have?If it does not melt or burn with a torch you got something unheard off.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline PhilipGold

• Kudos: 19
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:26:30 AM »
Looks like a piece of black painted 2x6

Offline NS Gold Seeker

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Nova Scotia
  • Kudos: 7
  • Gold is good.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
Could it be charred, burnt.

Gold is good.

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 11
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »
Count me in with McBain. I find lots of a similar-looking mineral in western Wyoming. I think it's asbestos. I'd be careful about breathing in any of the fibers until you know for sure.
jim

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
Hi.Another thought.Asbestos is considered a mineral but in its navtive form it is not considered a metal.This stuff rings like metal but the fibers are very curious..How many earth elements are there that can not be touched with a torch?After putting a torch to it does it cool to the touch fairly fast?We have stuff falling out of the sky everyday that has sience baffled.Just saying.I got a ball of something about basket ball size.Looks like a geode but wieghs 50 llbs.It drives a metal detector insane.A torch will melt it but willnot burn it.Gets gooy and soft but will not burn.This thing was found about 35 feet underground.I have contacted several univerities and none will reply.They want that ball in thier hands and I am not giving it too them.Luck Mcbain.

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »
Wood acts as a filter. If there is highly mineralized water flowing through/over/around this piece for a very long time, many of the minerals in the water can become trapped in the wood fibers. Just as with an air filter, the more minerals that get captured by the "filter", the less water that it can absorb until it reaches a point of becoming mineralized, or "petrified".

In this instance, I would say that your wood is part of an old building or wagon that burned long ago, and that it has naturally been absorbing minerals since that time. It sounds as though your piece has become sufficiently petrified in the center, as the minerals were more easily trapped there. Yet the end fibers have not yet had time to either gather minerals or decompose away, leaving only the petrified portion remaining. So it would appear that you found a piece of petrified wood that has not yet made it to its final stage that we are so used to seeing whenever the words "petrified wood" are mentioned. Pretty cool!  {cool^sign}

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 09:13:02 PM »
Hi Kieth sounds good and am not knocking your  explanation but there are a lot of things out there they do not want us to know about.Kind of like my ball I will not give them.acutting torch will make soft and gooey but it will not burn.Looks like blood red candle wax when heated and takes days to get hard again.The best answer I got is old candle wax.Bullshit any wax known to man burns.Luck,Mcbain.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
From the pic and video, I vote for petrified wood, not asbestos.  I have not heated either one, so don't know the relevance of the test, other than showing it is not wood.   Cool find.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA