collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 113 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12710
  • stats Total Posts: 125988
  • stats Total Topics: 17573
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan

Author Topic: Gravity Fed Water Systems  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Cade

• Province/State: Victoria BC
  • Kudos: 7
Gravity Fed Water Systems
« on: August 05, 2017, 07:42:47 AM »
Hello,

I am hoping to get some advice or input on a idea we have for one of our mine sites. Its a little difficult to describe but basically we have a creek up a hill that we figure would work well for a gravity fed water system.

Its about 750' away and 200' to 300' in elevation.  Hopefully we will only have to use 200' or 300' of rigid pvc to get enough suction or pressure before we can switch to discharge hose.

Our output will only be 2" discharge, we do not have huge water requirements or high pressure requirements, I would hope to get about the same pressure and volume a 2" trash pump would supply with a small amount of head.

My one big question is: With the good amount of elevation we have to work with will it be necessary to start with larger diameter piping? I am leaning towards no, but I'm also the one buying the pipe... lol

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.  <-good_>

Offline ryanonthevedder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack
  • Kudos: 17
Re: Gravity Fed Water Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
I think it depends on where you are drawing from. If its a deep pool then a siphon will work fine but if not the siphon will overwhelm the intake capacity.  If its not a deep pool then you should go larger for a couple reasons. 1st is because you likely wont be able to get 100% immersion all the time a larger intake will make up for it at the discharge end.  The second and more important reason is the flow restriction and pressure losses with distance in a pipe. A larger diameter pipe wont loose as much over its length compared to a smaller one. I'd be thinking 3" for sure if it were me.

What I would like to know is what are the legal/permit requirements for this setup vs. a 3" pump?

Offline Cade

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

There is a large pool where we can draw from, the creek is a good size so we would not be effecting the water level of the creek. Lots of water. ;)

We haven't spoke to our mine inspector about this yet, just researching and getting a plan together.  I am sure she will be very helpful as always. :)

Our current permit is for a recirculating pond system so size of hose or pump has never come up or been asked.  Everyone seems to like to keeping the permits nice and simple. ;) If they need more info they will ask when your applying.

Offline Woodspirit

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Knoxville, Tennessee
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
This project is probably larger than your needs may require. However it will provide visual content as to what you may expect.

Video from "Bearkat4160" - Happy Camp Gold Camp in California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-i149ZXyA

Pipe Fitting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LObiZm3kQ
Note the size of the creek as they are working on fitting the pipe

Happy Camp Video Channel - there are a few more videos on this topic
https://www.youtube.com/user/new49ersvideo/videos

Hope this gives you some good ideas.

Offline Cade

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
This project is probably larger than your needs may require. However it will provide visual content as to what you may expect.

Video from "Bearkat4160" - Happy Camp Gold Camp in California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-i149ZXyA

Pipe Fitting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LObiZm3kQ
Note the size of the creek as they are working on fitting the pipe

Happy Camp Video Channel - there are a few more videos on this topic
https://www.youtube.com/user/new49ersvideo/videos

Hope this gives you some good ideas.

Oh ya! Those guys are great, fun to watch I subscribe to a few of them. That is a really cool set up they have but way bigger then I need LOL

Thanks for the info, everything helps. :)

Offline Cade

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
Probably have to apply for a water license, getting approved is another matter.

When I purchased my Ranch in Princeton the property came with three water license,  two with easements on other peoples property.  Those water ,licenses where worth their weight in gold.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/air-land-water/water/water-licensing-rights/water-licences-approvals

We will cross that bridge when we get there. If we could please keep the thread on topic I would appreciate it.   <-yes_> <-good_>

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 100
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
Hi.Cade.Been a long time and I am working of memory here.on 1.5 hose the pressure is 0.433 lbs per foot of drop.So 43lbs at a hundred feet.If you got a 300 ft drop you will have  close to 150 psi at the bottom.Maybe more.You only need one size of pipe,but that pipe  should have a pressure rating of 300 psi just to be safe and then you will need a valve at the bottom to regulate the water pressure at your work site.Hope that helps a little Luck Mark.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Cade

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »
Hi.Cade.Been a long time and I am working of memory here.on 1.5 hose the pressure is 0.433 lbs per foot of drop.So 43lbs at a hundred feet.If you got a 300 ft drop you will have  close to 150 psi at the bottom.Maybe more.You only need one size of pipe,but that pipe  should have a pressure rating of 300 psi just to be safe and then you will need a valve at the bottom to regulate the water pressure at your work site.Hope that helps a little Luck Mark.

Thank you for the reply, we definitely do not need that much pressure.  Though it would be fun to play with!!

We would probably only start with 100' of drop if it works that well, can always add more. :)

Thanks again.  <-good_>

Offline Cade

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:12:54 AM »
Now were talkin!!  lol!!!@*

Offline Newbie101

• To dig or not to dig, that is the question.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 10:15:29 PM »
Hi Cade, you might consider a hundred foot length of solid 4 inch big-O piping, it can be bought at home depot for about $75 for 100 ft.  The down side is that if you have too much head (elevation) it may collapse the top section of the pipe, plus there is no way you could put a cork in that thing once it starts to roll with any elevation drop  greater than 20 feet but it's a really light cheap solution for a guy on a budget  and it would easily power several high bankers simultaneously.

Gear Pan