collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

StoneHuntermike(swWash)

Dot Guests: 225 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13003
  • stats Total Posts: 130796
  • stats Total Topics: 18302
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Slumach's lost gold mine has been found.  (Read 29292 times)

Offline doonhamer

• Kudos: 2
Re: Slumach's lost gold mine has been found.
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »
If someone can find me ANY proof from MINfile reports or otherwise that supports the formation of gold nuggets in Coast Plutonic Complex geology specifically at the south end of Garibaldi Park and north end of Pitt Lake then I'm all ears.

If not - there's no way Slumach could not have mined his gold locally.

From what I've seen around Maple Ridge e.g. Walden the gold is nano to small-sized flakes (no pickers) and it comes from quartz veins and perhaps embedded inside decaying pyrite.

Not exactly the type of ground where one can reasonably expect to find pickers and nuggets.

If someone told me Slumach got all of his gold from around Lilloet then I would believe it.
he probably did , he was reported to have been seen in  the general area of Lillooet and or one of the passes over from the pitt alloette , his timing in out of the Coquitlam / new west area gave enough for  making his way to from that general area on foot ..

"One of these pathways began on the flats of the Alouette, then called Lillooet River, in Pitt Meadows. Although the country between the headwaters of the Alouette and the (Pemberton) Lillooet rivers was very rugged, the Katzie and Lil’wat nations had long engaged in trade of goods and kin along a historic trail that cut between the Alouette, Stave, and Lillooet watersheds."
from this article .

https://mapleridgemuseum.org/museum-blog/the-lillooet-trail/

now it was not uncommon for women to be traded to prospectors /trappers for gold or fur...he often left with a native woman ..he often returned with gold in a pouch...
he was executed for the murder of a man , but was suspected of killing the women..

i suspect they were traded.. the "gold mine"  was the trade in women..

as for formation of gold nuggets , yes I think documented in some MMPR reports back in early 80's  it was reported gold formed on rocks where venting took place .. therefore not inconceivable if gold did that, then it may also do so where it vents into stream bed etc , and open to water action etc..form nuggets ..hypothesis , no doubt .

Offline Lanny

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
Doonhamer,

Informative read, thanks for posting the information.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 15
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2019, 12:43:29 PM »
Some great points Doonhammer! 

North Vancouver, BC

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
Some very interesting points.ButLets face some facts.Has anyone ever heard of a male native mining for gold in the 1800s?Not likely.Many Natives knew of the yellow but it had no value to them.Some clued in when the Spanish and Russians were seeking gold But the Natives were hunters and fishermen.They would not dig for gold. and the Spanish could not turn them into slaves like they did in other countries.Just making a point.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline doonhamer

« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
Some very interesting points.ButLets face some facts.Has anyone ever heard of a male native mining for gold in the 1800s?Not likely.Many Natives knew of the yellow but it had no value to them.Some clued in when the Spanish and Russians were seeking gold But the Natives were hunters and fishermen.They would not dig for gold. and the Spanish could not turn them into slaves like they did in other countries.Just making a point.Luck Mcbain.
technically he was Metis by today's standard s , supposedly a family connection to extended family with in-laws , apparently spent time with french canadians as a teen and spoke frenglish  ..though I suspect, much is all part of the legend ..

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2019, 08:33:35 PM »
It is a great story and Walter Brown claimed to have found the spot.Nuggets the size of walnuts just lying around.Now a nugget the size of a walnut would have to weigh in at 2 ounces or close to it.Nothing like that ever recorded on the west coast of B.C.The fact that slumach was a Metis pretty much covers it all.Just my opion.Luck ,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline QuinanBear

« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
I have ordered my first copies of my book " Slumach's lost gold mine rediscovered" this book speaks of the stories and of some of the people who went searching for this mine. It details my trips in while I was documenting it. I will say that I nearly lost my life documenting this place so I believe the curse to be real, the only thing that saved me was the fact that I wasn't there to take the gold, just to prove it was there. I have done all the work myself from reaserching the stories to documenting the area to writing the book. The book was entirely done by myself, documenting, writing,  editing and even the publishing will be done by me. So if you are interested in knowing the truth about this mine and would like a copy of the book? you can message me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Offline Hardpan82

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »
The last sentence on the back cover you forgot a space between two words.

Offline QuinanBear

« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »
The last sentence on the back cover you forgot a space between two words.
yes I know, I want people to know that this book was not done by a  bunch of people who are dedicated in making a book look exactly like the next one,  at least this way, people will know it was me that done the book .

Gear Pan
Gold Rat