collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 241 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13065
  • stats Total Posts: 131854
  • stats Total Topics: 18425
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Slumach's lost gold mine has been found.  (Read 33473 times)

Offline placermaster

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 7
Re: Slumach's lost gold mine has been found.
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2019, 08:03:10 AM »
Looks more like a garbage dumping site....Slumach wasn't big on recycling I see.

Offline TonesBC

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2019, 09:47:17 AM »
I don't want a book. I want to see the gold. LOL

Offline DharmaSoldat

• Kudos: 3
  • Gadget Guy
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »
Do you guys hear that? Sounds like someone's reeling in some fishing line... I bet there's a hook and sinker at the end of it too  <-yahoo_>

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 146
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
Hi.Guys.I met a guy a few years back that claimed to have found the site.#1 he had never heard the story.He had a claim much higher up in the mountains that was helli access only.They were doing o.k. on that claim but he decided to go exploring down the mountain.He got caught up in bad weather and had to spend the night and the next day down there before his buddies could get him air lifted out.He had lots of time to kill so kept on prostpecting.never found a spec of gold.It was several years later that he read about Slumachs location.He knew this was where he had been.The rock the twin peaks and every thing was exactly as described in all the stories.Thing was he would never go back as he found zero gold.I think I have told this story before.Just saying Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline doonhamer

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »
more money in the legend than slumach ever mined ..

slumach was taking those women  and selling them  for gold .. there was a report in archives in Victoria that stated  that statements from barkeeps etc.. said slumachs's gold was of varriang sizes and colour.. therefore different sources ..
I tried to re-find that report , but seemed the complete file disappeared , coincidentally or not, a MLA had the same interest when i was there..

Offline Xplore

• Kudos: 18
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
If someone can find me ANY proof from MINfile reports or otherwise that supports the formation of gold nuggets in Coast Plutonic Complex geology specifically at the south end of Garibaldi Park and north end of Pitt Lake then I'm all ears.

If not - there's no way Slumach could not have mined his gold locally.

From what I've seen around Maple Ridge e.g. Walden the gold is nano to small-sized flakes (no pickers) and it comes from quartz veins and perhaps embedded inside decaying pyrite.

Not exactly the type of ground where one can reasonably expect to find pickers and nuggets.

If someone told me Slumach got all of his gold from around Lilloet then I would believe it.

North Vancouver, BC

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 146
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »
Or quite simply,The gold all the minors were packing out of the interior.Might not have had trains or stage coaches to rob.They travelled by foot trails and canoes.Now we know  that smart minores? never brag about their gold but the trails are lonely and a smart enterprizing individual with some food and a bottle could do wonders extracting that gold.They did not hang him for not  proving up his mine??????Just saying.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Xplore

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2019, 07:53:26 PM »
Yep, sounds like Interior gold to me ; )
North Vancouver, BC

Offline bruno

• Province/State: Coquitlam
  • Kudos: 14
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2019, 08:11:31 PM »
Xplore here is a quote from Charles Millers book The Golden Mountains.  "Returns  were  most gratifying and within a very short time, after Williams commenced work on his claim, pockets of fabulously high grade gold ore were uncovered;  in some cases, actual handfuls of pure metal!!!" So it was possible at that time to find gold nuggets in the area. The Walden mine was another one that had really rich ore in it as well, $1600 to the ton back in 1920.

Offline Xplore

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2019, 12:51:46 AM »
Good point - the Walden Mine had some compelling gold values.

There is fine placer gold in that general area - I know from first hand experience.

My point was that the geology doesn't support placer nuggets like the ones Slumach had.

The gold on Walden's claims was found in deep inside adits and to my knowledge the riches never spilled out into the creek in the form of placer nuggets. Instead, it's moderate amounts of fine gold dispersed throughout.

If coarse gold was easily accessible there would be more claims and that area would be busier.

But maybe I'm wrong and we just aren't digging down 50 feet to where the real pay streak is ; )

North Vancouver, BC

Gear Pan
Gold Rat