collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dhodgins

Dot Guests: 215 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12963
  • stats Total Posts: 129995
  • stats Total Topics: 18183
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Metal detecting "tutor" wanted lol  (Read 439 times)

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 11
Metal detecting "tutor" wanted lol
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:29:04 AM »
Hey All...  I borrowed a detector from a friend of this site,  I've played with it a bit and I've watched a bunch of videos.

I really want to learn more hands-on with someone that knows what they are doing, if anyone wants a day out in the field at my expense the next few weeks (once the snow melts) let me know.

i'd like to learn more about how to use it on my gold claims  etc, especially when the weather is poor and I am not high-banking,  there are lots of days I'd like to just selectively snipe some locations etc.

I am in Langley if it helps and can travel where-ever.

Cheers,
Sub

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
Re: Metal detecting "tutor" wanted lol
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »
Detecting with somebody knowledgeable is a good idea.  I wish I did that to help with the learning curve (makes me think of the Rod Stewart song Oh la la: "I wish that I knew what I know now, hen I was younger."
 Otherwise, go out yourself and have fun.  Metal detecting is fairly simple, but takes some time to become proficient.   Each brand/model of detector is a bit different. 

Here is my basic suggestion for nuggets.  Put on the smallest coil you own.  Make sure you know how to ground balance.  Wear earphones if you have them.  Make a test nugget by glueing one to the top of a poker chip.  Also take a few nickels.  See what they sound like at various depths.  If you cannot find a nickel, you will never find a large nugget.  In fact, toss one ahead of you and don't watch where it lands and then find it as you go.  This will force you to slow down and check all signals.  When in the field, once in a while toss down the nugget to tune your ear for the right sound.  Get a good digging tool.   No matter where you detect, there will be lots of junk, so lots of digging.  If you are finding lead shot & bullets, you will find gold ... if it is there.   If you have a gold or lead target, my advice is put all of the dirt into a gold pan and pan it out.  Small gold collects in the same spot as other heavies and you have already gone through the effort of digging ....

See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline buckshotbob

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 04:03:29 PM »
Wrong province for me but I only have forty years with one. Iprefer underwater machines but every now and then I use a land lubber machine. Sunshine is right on the money time is your greatest friend . I find more gold in one day at the beach then I have ever found with my minelab 5000 . This is due to my location more then effort however I supertune the lab to find gold in hard rock which is the reason I bought it, tried for nuggets but didn,t have enough time to really get crazy with it. Every brand has its specialty like trucks but in the end buy what you need it for not because its a good deal. I used an eagle spectrum for years and found tons of silver but little gold but if you watch the celtic hoard video he was using a spectrum. When you find a half dime or newfee nickel celebrate loudly as they have always been my favorite, if you find a 1812 war button you can leave it in a museam until your grandson decides ifn he wants it as it was loaned in his name. goodluck have fun.

P.S. My favorite summer pastime when my kids where young was going to the beach wearing mirrored sunglasses with the machine off walking between all the bikinis.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 08:14:48 PM »
Hey the mirrowed glasses are so they can not watch you checking the bikinis ;D ;D ;D.Iwas born along time ago too.Still like to drool.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Lanny

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 11:33:12 PM »
Hey All...  I borrowed a detector from a friend of this site,  I've played with it a bit and I've watched a bunch of videos.

I really want to learn more hands-on with someone that knows what they are doing, if anyone wants a day out in the field at my expense the next few weeks (once the snow melts) let me know.

i'd like to learn more about how to use it on my gold claims  etc, especially when the weather is poor and I am not high-banking,  there are lots of days I'd like to just selectively snipe some locations etc.

I am in Langley if it helps and can travel where-ever.

Cheers,
Sub

I'd take you out in a heartbeat, chased the gold for many years, and have specialized with detectors for the last good chunk of time, but I'm not anywhere close to where you are, so I truly hope you find someone that can take you out to learn how a detector works when chasing the gold.

Detecting for nuggets is quite the undertaking, and Sunshine has given you some great tips,  but if you're luck enough to get a Sourdough to show you tips and tricks while in the field, that's priceless.

My original mining buddy is now 88, and he can't get out anymore, but he taught me so many things about what to do/what not to do, what to look for, what to listen for, the better areas to chase the gold in, etc., etc.,  I'll always treasure the time he spent with me, and the memories will last a lifetime.

Sad I won't be able to connect with you, but sincerely hope someone that lives close to you will be able to extend an invitation to introduce you to nugget shooting, and  help welcome you to one of the most interesting ways to find gold, and one of the methods that takes probably the most patience perhaps of all the ways there are to find and retrieve gold, but one of the most exciting when you get the hang of it,

Lanny