collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 168 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12992
  • stats Total Posts: 130653
  • stats Total Topics: 18283
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: To Detect, or not to Detect...  (Read 2759 times)

Offline red_suspenders

• Kudos: 0
To Detect, or not to Detect...
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
...that is the question.  ;D

After pouring over photos and videos from three scouting trips me and my buddy made last summer we narrowed our "hit list" to our traditional spot and new little area. However he has decided he doesn't want pan or shovel anymore as his back is starting to give him problems, but still wants to be part of our "team" and has acknowledged that our new are looks really promising. He doesn't want to miss out.

This weekend we discussed Metal Detectors.

When i got into this i wanted to keep our overhead low for our little team so i am not sure i want to add an incredibly expensive piece of machinery to our kit, however... i don't want to lose him. I told him i would consider it and look around a little.

So can anybody give my any tips as to what to look for in a metal detector? What factors do i need to consider? Range? Depth of penetration? Sensitivity ? Geographic area? I am not sure?? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

One major factor in this equation is that it needs to be easily packable.

This was never really an angle i wanted to consider for our little grassroots activity, but i couldn't handle the guilt of having my buddy lose his back functionality :(

Offline OK-AL

• Kudos: 1
  • claim buddy
Re: To Detect, or not to Detect...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
I have been looking at metal detectors for awhile, I have narrowed it down to the gold bug 2 for just under $900. I have prospected for some years and after cleaning out numerous cracks in bedrock would like to know if some thing is there before I start digging think it could save a lot of time and wear on my old back I HOPE.

Offline jayjayccr

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
A metal detector will find all he metal in the area...  Not just the gold...  Foil, bottle caps, sinkers, hooks... Etc...  There's a lot of bending and digging involved.  Moreover, the smaller the gold the less depth you'll get on a detector.  1" or less for pickers....

Offline Wil

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »
Why not get a good sluice box or highbanker instead.  Your buddy could "manage" (watch) it for you. A good pair of eyes watching the water flow will help a lot-not many of us have that option.
BTW: I have a bad back, complete with fused spine, and have no trouble shovelling into a sluice box-round nosed shovel, long handle---just a suggestion...Wil

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:22:18 AM »
It is a good question, without an easy answer.  There is a significant learning curve to use a placer gold detector.  The GBII is a good machine in the right area.  An alternative from Fisher is the GB Pro, which is a bit easier to use, but will miss really fine gold.  If there are tons of hot rocks then it can be really frustrating.  All detectors are easy to pack.  As stated in the other posts, there is still quite a bit of bending and digging involved.  There is also lots of junk, especially old machine parts, wire, nails, bullets, blasting caps, food cans, fishing gear, etc.  Another suggestion for your buddy is to simply concentrate on bedrock sniping.  Pick a small area and clean out crevices.  Either that or make him your camp cook.  
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline red_suspenders

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »
Wil hit it right on the head.

We are going to add a little sluice box to the mix instead. I have tossed the idea around now for a while to add one to my kit so this just makes sense.

Having a Looking around, a metal detector just seems like a very lofty piece of overhead. Found one at future shop for 89 bucks. Still alot more than i am willing to spend right (unless this new place yeilds some real value)

Thanks all for the brain food.  {cool^sign}

Offline DIGGER44

• Province/State: East Kootenays
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
Where I live the pawn stores are full of them.  Maybe they don't work so good here.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat