collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

fishboy3@telus.netvfscooter

Dot Guests: 166 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12788
  • stats Total Posts: 127134
  • stats Total Topics: 17770
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: The Gold Pan; its use and its miss use  (Read 3146 times)

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 24
  • Better prospecting through chemistry
The Gold Pan; its use and its miss use
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »
The Gold pans use as an aid in locating a gold deposit is well known, it was used as far back as 300 BC
to aid in the recovery of heavy minerals, a point that is overlooked by far to many prospectors today.
First lets define what a prospector is; a prospector is someone hunting a mineral deposit that is large
enough to be worth removing from its present location to market for a profit.  Keep this in mind, its
very important as we get along with this work. What are you throwing away when you pan out a sample ?
You found no gold and your disappointed so you toss the remaining away and go off to take another
sample and so it go's all day, day after day until you run out of time and go home. Happens all the time,
in every part of the world, will happen again and again just as it has for years past. The question to ask
at this point is WHY ? Now ask this question, what else was in those samples you panned that was not
gold so you tossed it out. If you took  your time there would be other HEAVY minerals in that sample
that COULD lead you to a deposit of some other mineral that could be worth selling without you doing
any more work than sampling and having it tested, and if it turned out on the right side of the coin, filing
a claim and finding a buyer for it, this is what a prospector  is suppose to do, but far to many are blinded
by the lure of finding gold so they throw away clues that could be worth far more that a few grams of
find gold a week if they really work at it. Lets get back to the pan and what it might contain, and maybe
learn something you never thought about . That is going to take more time and space than I want to sit
here and put down, so watch for the next installment, maybe as soon as in a day or two depending on
what come's up. In the meantime, think about what is here and where it could lead to

Offline miner01

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
Re: The Gold Pan; its use and its miss use
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
Good post XT am looking forward to pt2  Tony

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 116
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
Hi.xt.excellent post.Tinnman did a bunch of fine material sampling on my claim a few years back.He determined I am platinum rich more than gold but it is invisible to the eye.Pretty much makes it impossible to mine.I have got the odd visible piece but gold still rules.That being said you are right all around.There is much more than gold out there.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
I have a U.S.G.S. report that tells of a team of three , they were in Colorado's mineral belt west of Boulder
hunting Tungsten mineralization in an area that had been prospected and mined for well over a hundred
years. Tungsten had been mined here before in more than just a few mines. The area is crossed by a major
system of large creeks along with a number of lesser side creeks , all drain the surrounding mountains.
The team started just to the west of Boulder, sampling a few drainage's that were just outside of the
known mineralization zone that turned up ( as expected ) nothing of interest. Moving back to the main
area of interest they started sampling at the mouths of every flowing drainage , taking samples and being
very careful in the process of panning them down ( one member of the teams job was to ID all in the samples )
while the other two collected the samples ( this method was used to save time ) and all the heavy's were counted
and recorded. If there appeared to be anomalously high amount in a sample they would take the time to
determine the reason before proceeding ( they found several  and its an important step to keep in mind ) with
any sampling project to keep the project on track.  They found tungsten mineralization in various amounts, then
after the fifth day ( I think it was but it may have been the six ) they had samples from a side creek that led them
up to a area of rock slide, sampling this slide proved that there was a deposit near the top of it that later was
mined. There whole project took 1 week start to finish and covered a total length of 40 miles ! This proved
several things, the gold pan is a powerful tool that if used right can find mineralization others have missed or
if they found it they did not take the time or effort to learn what that they was looking at. You must learn how
to ID what is found in the pan, not just gold. If you take your time in sampling and learn how to pan you have a
good chance of finding something worth your time , I'll will post more on this subject, of using the pan and other
things  in my next post on this subject.
XT

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »
XT, great post!! I've read MANY historical documents that have told of how someone went in search of one target (usually gold), but ended up instead running across a vast fortune of other metal/mineral. Only goes to show that you have to keep your eyes AND your mind open to other possibilities.

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 06:05:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply's guy's so now lets see if I can add to what I started.
 First things  first; you should pick one district to work in and find out what minerals was / are mined in it. There are
several reasons why you want  to do this ( read my post on Tungsten ) and you will get a good idea of why.
Lets look at an old report on it and say there was twelve mines in it, look for the description that will tell you what
was found in the first mine. This information normally starts with the largest producer in that area and works down
the list of the less productive ones, almost all ways it will list what was found in them also, as like the following.
Mine 1;  gold, silver, antimony, zinc, galena and maybe one or two more, (this list is only  as a made up example  for
us to learn from ) the first element listed is the primary element that the mine was opened for and the most important one; the other elements are listed in the order of the amount ( % ) and go down as listed to the right.
Now silver is usually mixed with the gold so depending on the % as to how important it was, next is antimony, can
be used as an indicator not only for gold or silver, but as a stand alone mineral that can be sold without any other
mineral. Zinc can also be an indicator mineral or a stand alone one, same with galena. There is also minerals that
are of such a low % that would have no market ( at this time or are on the list of unknowns, remember we are looking at a report from way back and there was a long list of minerals that fell into this group not so long ago. )
Now we have at least some idea what may be in our sample, and we do this with each mine in the report and
record them on a paper for our study. We want to record the SP ( specific gravity ) and its streak color, ( we get
both of these from off the web or any mineral and rock ID book. ) these should help us identify most or all of the
heavy minerals we know have been found in our area of interest, maybe not all but most. We also note the color(s)
of these as well as the hardness that are found in our ID book. Now were at the waters edge and ready to pan.
We can use a gold pan or we an use that new comer on the block a " saruca " ( see my post on this if you have not
done so already ) to separate the heavy's from the lighter material , but only if we take time too. Break Time
Will continue hen I have time, but as you can see we all ready have a lot of information to work with, more is on the way.

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 02:26:48 AM »
Now we move to the next stage of our sampling project, panning it down. I'll not go into the art / skill of how to
pan as to much can be lost in translation, but I will suggest that you consider making or buying a SARUCA  to use
instead of the pan, its really a better tool for this job . You must learn the basics of mineral ID or all you have done is
get a lot of exercise, you need to learn this before you go into the field, on the job training is great for some things
but not for this job. To speed this job up I strongly recommend you buy a mineral sample ID kit, you can get them
with as few as fifteen or so of low grade ore minerals that covers a good selection of the more common that are
great for showing you just what it will look like in the field, not like what you see in any photo in a book, and believe
me, those in a book DO NOT look anything like what you will see in the field ! These kits are great tools to have, they can be had with up to a hundred different minerals but they can get expensive for the larger ones, there's
also rock kits made up the same way that are great for study, and yes I have both kinds and yes I would buy them
again if I had to. A simple hardness ID kit is also something you will find helpful to ID minerals ( you do not ID rocks
like you do minerals but we won't get into that here ). So that's where we stand for now , if you feel you have the
knowledge to ID what you have found great, but if you don't you really need to get that knowledge as stated above
before going . Spend some time on the web, you can find a great deal of information there on how to ID minerals and rocks. Better to learn five than to throw away all !

Offline sawdust

• Province/State: Fraser Canyon/British Columbia
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:02 AM »
Is there a good place locally [Fraser valley area} to purchase a mineral i.d. kit ? I try to avoid ordering off the web as much as possible.

Offline wannaxaxa

• New user
  • Province/State: N/A
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »
Hi.xt.excellent post.Tinnman did a bunch of fine material sampling on my claim a Gclub  few years back.He determined I am platinum rich more than gold but it is invisible to the eye.Pretty much makes it impossible to mine.I have got the odd visible piece but gold still rules.That being said you goldenslot  are right all around.There is much more than goldenslot gold out there.Luck Mcbain.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat