collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

liquidsteelDhodgins

Dot Guests: 282 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13019
  • stats Total Posts: 131044
  • stats Total Topics: 18330
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 5620 times)

ClickTheYellowChick

Re: Greetings
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 02:03:31 PM »
Another question:
Assuming that you find some gold, where do you go to sell it?
Thanks.
-kelly

Hi, Kelly,

I'd be happy to bid to buy your gold.  And I pay in US$ which is conversion friendly to you up there.  It can all happen by mail. 

I like buying small amounts from miners.  I look forward to working with you and others like you!  Working with the small miner and small amounts that others turn their noses up at,  encourages each individual prospector and helps them keep their cash flow going, cutting down on the discouragement factor.

Here are some "perspective guidelines" based upon the current price of gold.

1000 milligrams = 1 gram of gold.
31.103 grams= 1 troy oz of gold.  (A troy oz is not the same as an avoir dupois oz)
For easy, do in our head math, let's use US$930 as a "current price of gold"
1 grams of pure gold = US$30.00  (930/31.103)
1 milligram = US$.03c for 24K gold

Now the fun begins--How to estimate on the creek bank or peering over the edge of your sluicebox, or squinting at the bottom of your gold pan, how many mgs of gold values are you seeing?

I'll be constructing a tutorial in just a few moments, to address "How many of what size panned gold specks, flakes, pickers, does it take to equal a milligram?"

I'll be back and post the URL to the forum tutorial that addresses this important next step in your thinking.

Offline kel1

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for the replies and advice.
Geo, I might just be up for going out this weekend, but I don't have any equipment yet.  I won't be able to make it up to CR this week, but I'll try and take some time over a lunch break to check out what Tyee and that second hand place on Cumberland have.   I'll definitely take you up on that consultation at the WStop over a Guinness (mmmmmmmm, Guinness!) at the very least.  I'm busy all week, so it'll have to be next week sometime, or maybe on the weekend.  I'll see how the week goes.

Another question, does anyone use waders for keeping dry while panning?

-kelly

ClickTheYellowChick

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »

Hi, again, Kelly

Y/Chik Tutorial: How2 Est. GOLD $$ values in your pan or sluice  is the forum link where I shared how to estimate gold values, priced
in US$ in your pan or sluice.

Keep us posted on your first efforts.  We're all pulling for you! <-yes_>

Offline kel1

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 11:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
One thing I wasn't totally clear on, is it gold in your pan equal in weight to the head of a match or equal in size to the head of a match.  I'd have to pull out my scale to confirm, but I'd imagine there's a fair difference.

-kelly

Offline geo_tonz

• Rocknerd Extrodinaire
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Courtenay
  • Kudos: 1
  • Don't tell me... it's right behind me isn't it?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 12:13:51 AM »
Hey Kel,
I've got a couple of pans and know where I can borrow more so don't worry if you don't have any gear. You can test drive a few different pans and decide which one you want to get! And if you're thinking sluice: they're not legal if you don't have a claim or a Free miner's certificate. I'm thinkin' Sunday though currently there's a 60% chance of rain. I don't mind the rain though maybe it's not your cup of tea. Might be a couple others I can wrangle up too. I'll drop you an email and see if you're up for it.
GT

ClickTheYellowChick

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 07:30:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice.
One thing I wasn't totally clear on, is it gold in your pan equal in weight to the head of a match or equal in size to the head of a match.  I'd have to pull out my scale to confirm, but I'd imagine there's a fair difference.

-kelly

Hi, Kelly,

You've quite quickly picked up on the point I was trying to make about avoirdupois weight, vs. Troy Weight. <-good_>

Fortunately a gram is a gram is a gram, which is why I converted to milligrams in my tutorial.

When one is "pushing their gold together to approximate the volume and shape" of a torn off matchhead, one has "irregular shaped gold fragments" which implies unoccupied spacing between grouped particles.  A matchhead is extremely compact simply by virtue of the manufacturing process that loads the top of the match shaft with the payload which fires up as the result of friction.

So....
the "pushed together/stacked up best you can" gold particles--> with their heavier density (troy) and unoccupied spaces, will correlate in gram weight quite nicely with the less density but highly compressed/compacted "non-spacey" matchhead solid for the purpose of estimating cash value of what one finds in their goldpan or sluice out in the field or stream. 

Does this help?

YC