collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Hi Lo Silverfishboy3@telus.netBCGQCPatver

Dot Guests: 142 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12341
  • stats Total Posts: 122902
  • stats Total Topics: 16883
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Length and widths of sluice boxes for smaller claim?  (Read 342 times)

Offline Roughneck HQ

• New user
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 0
Length and widths of sluice boxes for smaller claim?
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:55 AM »
My main question is what is preferred in a small operation. Do you go wider and maybe more sluice runs or go longer and maybe have 1 or 2 boxes? would like to run 7.5 to 15 yards an hour. i currently love longer boxes but would love to hear everyone's input

Offline ryanonthevedder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack
  • Kudos: 16
Re: Length and widths of sluice boxes for smaller claim?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
It all depends on your water volume. If you have lots of water then you can go wider. Usually expressed in gallons per minute(or hour) per inch of width. This again depends on your capture system as well (rubber mats vs moss or hungarian riffles).

Go as wide as you can and length can increase your capture %.

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 12
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
It all depends on your water volume.
Quick and dirty rule of thumb 10% solids so 10 yard per hour is 100 yard per hour water.
110/60 = 1.8 or 2 yards per min or about 400 us gpm That would use 10 - 15 hp and about 4" pump.
example
Honda BE WP-4013HR - 422GPM 100 ft head
There are 4" pumps that deliver more gpm  and more head but they will need more power.

5yph is half and 20yph would be double or a range of 200 - 800 usgpm

If you wish to reuse your water a dewatering contractor grade Honda will not last long. Then you are into industrial grade like Wacker Neuson
Wacker Neuson PTS4 V, 4" Centrifugal Trash Pump, 0620971  ( 16hp - 705 usgpm) rated solids 2"

The width of the box depends on the water over the riffles (as said by ryanonthe vedder) do not skimp on water depth.

Offline kosoca

• Province/State: Cariboo, BC
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »
FWIW, we run 25-30 yph on a 30" wide sluice (2x15" split),  running expanded grating over moss.  ~40" header/slickplate /damper, then 10' long sluices  with boil boxes (not in avatar photo) at 1/3 & 2/3 intervals down sluice.  I feel it works well.

If you wish to reuse your water a dewatering contractor grade Honda will not last long. Then you are into industrial grade like Wacker Neuson
Wacker Neuson PTS4 V, 4" Centrifugal Trash Pump, 0620971  ( 16hp - 705 usgpm) rated solids 2"

I use this pump and it was well worth the investment.

United Rentals had a 2012 model on the island for 1800$ and let me use a loaner newer 2015 model to try out to see if it worked for me.  It was perfect for all the clay we need to wash.  I pulled the trigger on buying the older one and had it sent up, but it didnt run as well as the newer one I tried, same motor, same pump body, same everything, and the shaft seal leaked.  I called them and they stand behind selling quality used items.  Their mechanic tuned the motor up to spec, replaced the seal and even replaced the impeller.  He had some sort of gauge to measure the suction and brought the old one back up to the newer ones specs.  Works great.

Pretty good deal, that's cheaper and way better performance than a caged 4" Honda pump.  Hard on fuel though.  Gotta watch the run time carefully.  Needs a bigger tank.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
Hi kosoca.I find on the bigger honda units.It is much cheaper to switch to a marine tank.Like you use on a outboard motor.Plastic easy to keep clean and you take the tank with you.The yellow tygon fuel hose canbe pushed onto the carb a hundred times  without needing a clamp.When it does leak a bit simply cut a inch off.Hondas are great but fuel tanks and filters can be a real pain.Luck Mcbain.P.S.The marine tanks you always know what you got and one less jerry can to collect water.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.