collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Hi Lo Silverfishboy3@telus.netbrotherjamesBCGQCTop CatPatver

Dot Guests: 134 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12341
  • stats Total Posts: 122902
  • stats Total Topics: 16883
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

* Advertisers

Author Topic: gold on slate  (Read 536 times)

Offline tcgofyyc

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 1
gold on slate
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
Hi all, wondering if anyone has a thought on how to process slate baring material. Found a mid size stream on the Island here with a fair amount of free gold in a stream bed that is mainly slate rock <-good_>. It is not on one of my claims but is accessible to anyone willing to walk a little (behind a BCFP locked gate). it is not in a placer reserve but is a few miles away from one of my claims along a forestry road. I have panned this stream before and have always had good results. The thing is,, the stream bed is  almost all slate of various sizes and does not lend itself to classifying in the conventional sense  :( the material is so flat it won't travel down the sluice in an orderly way. I'm guessing a trommel might be the way to go in this instance but I don't really want to go buy a trommel just for this stream. I only have a stream sluice and pan to process this stuff since it is a fair walk from where I park to access it. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
tcgofyyc

Online White Dog

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
  • Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Re: gold on slate
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »
Plese note.........under bc regs there is no such thing as a "sream sluice"           <-sealed_>

Offline tcgofyyc

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »
 <-laugh->ok it's a bikked out bindle router, not a sluice. <-unsure_>

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 06:30:47 PM »
Hi.tcgofyyc.Is the gold in the slate rock or in the cracks?Is it more of a soft shale type of rock?If it is soft shale that breaks easy then all you need is to make a pulverizer.A 4-5 inch piece of pipe with a good base and something heavy like a small piece of drill steel to smash it up.Slow but works and you can at least test the stuff with the eqipment you normally use.I do not think a trommel would break up soft shale or slate.It would just spit it out as rocks.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska and Idaho in the Winter
  • Kudos: 45
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:25:46 PM »
If the Gold is not IN the shale, but rather just found in a location where shale ALSO is found - well, the usual answer is to classify to a size larger than the anticipated largest size of Gold.  That could be a separate process or as a sub- part of the larger processing .

If it were me (I understand that BC prohibits this) I would use a Gold Hog mat selection in an instream sluice box. 

If I am right, that instream sluicing is not allowed, I would consider a highbanker with Gold Hog mats. 

The emphasis on those mats is because they do an admirable a job on shale where I mine.  Nothing is easy with shale - but they are what I have chosen to use.

Now, if the Gold is physically inside the shale rocks - ah - crush as Mark mentioned.   <~ShOcK~>
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline tcgofyyc

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
Thanks Guys, the gold is actually sitting on a bed of broken shale\slate. It seems the stream floor is mostly slate in this area.
I do have a crusher much like what Mark(McBain) mentioned but don't think the gold is in the slate but rather sitting on top of it, free gold? <-unsure_>

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
That sounds very interesting. I wonder what the angle of the bedded slate is to the water flow - that is, is the flow into the grain so that it traps heavies or with the grain so that heavies are constantly washed along. If with the grain, I'd search downstream for collecting places (placer/bench) deposits. If upstream - well, I'm not too sure, that might take some thought relative to placer type recovery. However, in either case though, I'd be working upstream looking for a source. It's either coming from a placer that is eroding or from a hardrock deposit.  I love the hunt - sounds like you've got a great one.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska and Idaho in the Winter
  • Kudos: 45
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:59:38 PM »
Job,
 You forgot another source - a long ago stream bed concentration which has since been elevated or just no longer active due to the stream working itself downward to 'abandon' the old location .  If that old stream deposit is now "cut" by another stream the new stream bed will be enriched with the old Gold from the old "abandoned" location.  A classic High Bench situation.

As to the original situation of free Gold sitting on, around or under shale - well - then the shale has to be processed and the undersized shale, clay, silt and sand run through a sluice box.   The "anything but rounded" shapes of the shale will make oversized pieces a real grunt to process in the box.  To do that, some sort of classification / removal has to be done  - and, that would normally be the job of a woven wire classifier in, say, a trommel (of whatever size) or a shaker plant screen. 

For small scale operation, a 20 L. bucket on it's side with the lid having a large hole in it, screen panels in the original bucket sides and some way to rotate the bucket while running water over the shale would work.  Hand dumping the drum contents would also work - but all this is very small scale labour intensive.

The other system of removing oversized shale - a grizzly - is not very satisfactory since flat plates of shale will slip through the fingers of rod grizzlies and 'arrow heads' will jamb into expanded metal.

Shale (or siltstone) is a really tough situation and never easy to work.

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline crewcut

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:18:58 PM »
 hi jobinyt,

As Joe said, shale/ slate is not so good to classify with a rod type grizzly.

You might consider using a punch plate in washbox instead. Something along the line of mini version of the old style long tom launder/washbox.  <-yes_>

The large flat pieces won't end up in the sluice.   <_miner_>

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 05:53:39 AM »
Hi Guys,

Joe said it better - more detailed - but,  ' It's either coming from a placer that is eroding or from a hardrock deposit.' was intended to make his first point.  As to the rest of your comments - I agree with what you say, processing that slate ain't easy - my idea is to - for now - avoid that and see if there is a much better opportunity available - I'd be searching for the better opportunity before I settled in to work the slate where the gold was first discovered, except, well, first, I'd determine if the gold is IN the slate. One never knows - gold sources are often never found - but the OP's description makes me think it is likely the source can be found, and not too far away.