collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 140 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12534
  • stats Total Posts: 124380
  • stats Total Topics: 17208
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Newbie - Nova Scotia  (Read 687 times)

Offline outdoorsns

• Province/State: Nova Scotia
  • Kudos: 0
Newbie - Nova Scotia
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:27:04 AM »
I had posted in General, but then realized there was a better forum for introductions.

I'm 38, semi(?) disabled (leg amputation) father of 2 (daughter 9, son 7).

I live a stones throw from the Gold River and 3 minutes from Lacey Mines. I bought the kiddos a Garrett panning kit 2 summers ago hoping to do some recreational panning in my community but I don't really know the regs/legalities of it all or where to start.

Happy to join this forum, thank you and Hello!

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 30
Re: Newbie - Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »
Hello outdoorsns, and welcome to GPEX!!  <-wave->   

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 78
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »
Hi.Welcome to the site.Make one more post to become a full member.There are several folks on here from your province should be able to help you out.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline beav

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 7
  • Keep yer pan wet, and Butt dry!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:38:06 AM »
Hi Outdoorsns.

Welcome to the forum!
It's great that you  have an interest in some recreational panning. There are a lot of places in NS to do so.
The best place to get more information on areas to go and more importantly the legalities of the activity, is the following:
http://novascotia.ca/natr/meb/  - This is the Department of Mines Branch website  for Nova Scotia. It has links to tons of material, maps and information. It would take you several years if you are a fast reader to get through all the information that is stored there.

One good pamphlet you SHOULD READ FIRST is the following:  http://novascotia.ca/natr/meb/data/pubs/ic/ic02.pdf   - It explains that there are mineral rights, what the legal requirements are, that you need landowner permission BUT if you are just starting out, you need to know if the place you are wanting to try panning has current mineral claims held by someone.
In the area you mentioned, generally that  area is currently staked by several people. So in this case, to legally pan that area, you would need to contact the claimholder and also the landowner in order to get permission to pan on those claimed areas.

Another great resource for newcomers for information, etc is the Nova Scotia Prospectors Association:  http://www.prospectors.ns.ca/
They have outings, talks, have monthly meetings (none in June-Aug) and also a yearly panning 'clinic' where you can go and learn how to do basic panning.
I think there is a panning clinic coming up in May. Check out the website for details.

I hope that being a newbie, this information helps you out a bit.

Beav
p.s. I will attach a map of  the Gold River area you mentioned, so you can see that the good areas are all staked at the present time.

Offline outdoorsns

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »
Thank you very much!

I appreciate the replies and info/links.

Offline Lexlor

• Province/State: British Columbia
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
NS is awesome, welcome to CGPF.