collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mikey51fishboy3@telus.netSir Pans AlotmikeyrsmileyryanonthevedderBu5hwacker

Dot Guests: 159 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12343
  • stats Total Posts: 122926
  • stats Total Topics: 16883
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

* Advertisers

Author Topic: would you go  (Read 697 times)

Online mikeyrsmiley

• Province/State: kelowna
  • Kudos: 2
would you go
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:29:33 AM »
just a question I wanted to throw out there...  many people are always looking for a place to flash their pan around.  some more serious than others..    many of us have seen the colors available at recreation sites...   So what if,  there was a claim open to the public  for panning at a reasonable 5 dollar a day.    and what if,  it had available camping  to make it a multi day trip.    and for the full experience that many cant seem to find...    a camping spot with equipment to rent for a multi day.
   I have done some looking around... and there is not much available for camping gold adventures in British Columbia.    I am tempted to offer that if there is a demand for it....    so my question is ..   If a pay to dig campground option was available...  would you   <-thinking-> [<-panning->]

Offline gold one

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: I Follow the dream
  • Kudos: 21
Re: would you go
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure I would at least try it out...a good idea !
When I lived on Vancouver island I took some disabled friends out to my claim ( no charge) and they were very upset that they only found a couple of tiny flakes.
They thought it was like "tv"...ounces of gold.
I felt terrible after, never to repeat that.
I think there is someone doing something like your idea, nip and tuc mine?
  I think it's a great idea though.Liability  insurance might be hard?

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Hi.Mike.I think folks would go for it big time.What is 5.00 bucks for a days fun.But sad to say goldone is right about liabilty and such.Acouple years back I had a scout master that wanted to bring his boys out for a weekend.I offered my claim and was shot down because I would be liable for anthing that happened on my claim.That sucked because I only wanted some kids to have a good time.That really upset me.I will refrain from what I think of lawyers and other bottom feeding scum.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 12
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »
 ;D Mikeysimiley;
Love the concept;  To make it work it must be on private property. No recreation on claims in BC.
I think one should be able to get a permit to run such a place but at present most of the sites could be give cease orders.

Online mikeyrsmiley

• Province/State: kelowna
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »
the area under consideration is  under the control of a certain band.   i have put forth the idea and it will take some time to research and do it right.    in cooperation with this band  it is my hope to do this..    to offer opportunities to all ... public and economic development of the area.
i have been to the campground at cherry creek in vernon ..  few times...  no mention ever of signing waiver  or  becareful or someone will get sued....    im sure there are hurdles  but they are only that...     
i was just wondering about  interest from the public for this type of service.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:39:51 PM »
hey Mike research it.Their is a claim outside of Princton that the owner has designated kids only.Larry was going to do the same on the coq.at the tram before he got ill.You got the natives on your side it will happen.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline findmegold

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »
Its a great idea camping with a pay per day dig. I stayed at such a place in Chicken Alaska  where you went to a active mine and paid $20  US to pan a fresh loader full of pay dirt for the day. When I was there about 10 panners were trying their luck.  When I said  stayed there I just camped  and  didn't pan  so can't say what the pans were like. Often though that would work well on some of the old  known creeks in BC.  I would love to pan any of the mine tailings and pay for it.  Its not how much gold I fine ,just finding it.

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 05:47:22 AM »
Every such place I know doing that (some are gem based) - quite a few in the US and Canada, share a common trait. They are in a location that attracts tourists for many reasons. They are not the main atttaction. In Chicken, the panning is so productive that when I looked it over there were 5-6 kids there panning for their summer job. They knew the mine operator well (not a hundred yards away at the time) enough to know his daily production, and if the latest scoop wasn't rich enough to justify their time, they'd have it replaced.

So, as PART of a tourist/attraction industry, it seems worthwhile - even perhaps if not self supporting as tourist dollars spent on other activities could easily justify a breakeven activity - however, panning  as the main tourist attraction off the beaten path seems unlikely to succeed.